Balance and Composure
Split CD

by Caged USER (8 Reviews)
May 14th, 2010 | 13 replies | 8,902 views

Review Summary: Balance And Composure prove the future is theirs with their effort on this split EP.

Balance and Composure are back with 5 new songs that are destined to blow you away. This band from Doylestown, PA are on the fast track for super-stardom. On their new split with Tigers Jaw, BaC prove that emo isn't entirely dead, and it's can actually still be quite damn good.

Balance and Composure are:
Jonathan Simmons - Vocals/Guitar
Andrew Slaymaker - Guitar
Matthew Warner - Bass
Erik Peterson - Guitar
Bailey Van Ellis - Drums

Ever since 2009's EP "Only Boundaries" this band has been high on my radar, waiting patiently for this split the band proves they have matured even more in just over a year's time. Their sound is considerably louder, more emotional, and absolutely stunning. The guys continue to impress with every single new release, and if you miss this little appetizer, you're missing out on some of the best music of the year.

Across this 5 track EP you'll get another sneak peak at BaC's brand of Emo/Indie rock. In a genre that is typically do or die, BaC are definitely a DO, giving me that impression I haven't had since first hearing Brand New or Taking Back Sunday some years ago. In a scene that had been pronounced dead by many, BaC take the wheel and steer back on course.

Everything comes together so seamlessly for them. Jonathan's desperate vocal style, and the way he just captivates in a way many frontmen can only dream of is what really sets this band apart to me. However, the rest of the band are no slouch either, whether playing down-tempo instrumental intermissions between verses or playing frantically paced hooks everybody plays at an absolutely elite level.

What you have here are 5 guys making the most emotionally charged music available, playing instruments the way you'd expect genre veterans to play, writing songs the way you'd expect Jesse Lacey to write, and showing the passion and determination you'd expect Thrice to exhibit.

This will undoubtedly leave you salivating for more, and with such a small amount of music available from them (a total of about 15 songs right now) these guys really need to come out with a full length LP immediately.

Sara Bareilles Kaleidoscope HeartRufio Anybody Out There
A Hope For Home RealisFarewell to Freeway Only Time Will Tell
I Am Abomination To Our ForefathersCounterparts Prophets
mas westman (5)
If I was to say that love is what makes us aim to kill, then I'd aim it toward the sky, cause we don...

May 14th 2010

sooooooo what does this sound like? oh nvm i should get it because it's absolutely stunning.......

May 14th 2010

I accidentally cut out about two paragraphs from the review after I hit submit....dunno how to edit?

May 14th 2010

lol then ignore what i said, I'm not sure i've only reviewed once

May 14th 2010

In any case - it's hard to describe what they sound like. They are so unlike everything out there, I guess if I had to compare to any one band I'd say Brand New.

May 14th 2010

try 'edit my reviews/albums' under your profile pic on the main profile

May 14th 2010

Yeah that did the trick...dunno what happened lol oh well it's roughly how I originally typed it.

SeaAnemone
May 21st 2010

holy shit... it's a shame this review got ignored. this split is absolutely superb.

May 21st 2010

BaC need to release a full length LP...that is what will put them on the map. I've been dying for one for the last couple of years now, definitely my most anticipated album ever and it hasn't even been announced yet haha. These guys are also 18-19 years old...so impressive.

accompliceofmydeath
June 28th 2010

You should have covered the Tiger's Jaw portion of the split as well. Also, I think this should be under Balance and Composure/Tiger's Jaw and not just BaC. That being said, BaC are great live. This should be more widely know on this site. It seems like something the people on here would like.

Digging: Crowbar - Crowbar

Winsomniac
August 29th 2010

So this is actually pretty good.

HaloDude442
September 1st 2010

"So this is actually fucking awesome"

Fixed.

RCKilm
March 28th 2011

B&C LP finally dropping in May.

love this split.

loveisamixtape
May 20th 2012

I sometimes feel that people don't talk about this enough