Hole
Nobody's Daughter

by Nick Butler EMERITUS
May 7th, 2010 | 57 replies | 14,607 views

Review Summary: Pretend this never happened.

One has to wonder exactly what Courtney Love could gain from resurrecting the Hole name. The sad reality is that, thanks to a despicable media smear campaign that has now been running for 15 years, she will never be allowed a place in the canon. The fact that she released one of the best hard rock albums of the '90s doesn't matter, nor does the fact that she somehow managed to recover from crippling personal tragedy to release another classic in a radically different style and mood - the unfortunate reality is that being rabidly and unfairly hated is a side-effect of being loved by a rock legend, no matter how dignified, intelligent, or artistically vital you might be. Just ask Yoko.

So what good could come of Nobody's Daughter? The chances of any significant number of people changing their minds about Hole, or Courtney Love, are somewhere between 'slim' and 'none', no matter how good this album is - Margaret Thatcher could hunt down Osama bin Laden and kill him with her bare hands and she'd still be a hate figure for a generation who weren't even alive at the time, and so too Love will never escape the prejudices of people who've never heard her music. The only people who are going to appreciate this are people who were fans anyway, and is it really worth the risk of alienating them with a poorly-received comeback? There's much more to lose than there is to gain here; and unfortunately, Courtney's lost it.

Nobody's Daughter starts well, in fairness - the title track and "Skinny Little Bitch" are both good enough to appear on a future band retrospective without sounding out of place. To make a rather obvious comparison, neither is quite as good as "Tarantula", but they put every other song by the recently resurrected Smashing Pumpkins to shame. After that, though, it's all downhill.

Perhaps surprisingly, for those who saw Celebrity Skin as evidence of Love growing up, the weaker tracks here are the mellow ones that hark back to that album - "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Samantha" are difficult to get through back-to-back, particular as the latter collapses into an ill-advised 'people like you *** people like me' refrain and cops a line directly from "Doll Parts". Those songs are largely followed by tracks that sounds like B-sides from the band's last two albums - "Because You're Worthless", in particular, sounds like a minor US rock radio hit from 1997.

If you can excuse some major, attention-grabbing mis-steps, Love's lyrics are very good throughout, but it's hard to find any way to really praise this album beyond that. It's almost irritatingly average - a spectacular, all-or-nothing failure would have been more entertaining, and more fitting to Love's legacy and her personality. I would love nothing more than to tell you that Nobody's Daughter is a massive ***-you to the haters, but unfortunately, all this does is give them more ammunition, meekly soiling the legacy of a band that deserves far, far better.

Scott Walker Bish BoschEmilie Autumn Fight Like A Girl
Susanne Sundfor The Silicone VeilPepe Deluxe Queen of the Wave

Willie
May 7th 2010

Good review. I've never bothered with her music and she always seems to be in the media for something negative (talking shit with NIN and Smashing Pumpkins, etc).

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

LepreCon
May 7th 2010

I don't much like this woman but I do like Hole. But this was pretty disappointing- yes I was expecting better

Digging: Overkill - White Devil Armory

XulOnerom
May 7th 2010

I was kind of expecting this to be a good listen, because I actually like Hole. Sad to hear this is pretty mediocre

Baphomet
May 7th 2010

Unknowingly, I downloaded one track for tap tap revenge (hey it was free!), and tbh it's not bad. It's just kinda generic and there's nothing memorable about it.

mvdu
May 7th 2010

If the songs were better, it wouldn't matter so much that this album doesn't try to move forward. I was hoping for more here.

WatchItExplode
May 7th 2010

all anybody need is Live Through This...ignore everything else, especially the retarded Courtney killed Kurt crap

mvdu
May 7th 2010

IMO Celebrity Skin is their best.

casiopop23
May 7th 2010

I love Hole (I mean even if it is just Courtney with different band) so of course I did enjoy this, but the two things I dislike about the album is the track listing, it places the heavier songs at the top and bottom of the album with the mellow slower songs in the middle which is difficult and boring to listen through, that being said my other problem is that the middle of the album is just sorta meh, Lyrics and Ideas are good but the songs seem a average. "Never Go Hungry" is my personal favorite.

casiopop23
May 7th 2010

I thought most of the songs were good, but for every good track there was a "meh" song right after it
:P

Cesar
May 7th 2010

Pleasantly surprised. A few meh songs, and started out a bit awkward, but it picks up well. Celebrity Skin and LTT are still better, but this is good.

CushMG15
May 7th 2010

Rolling Stone gave this a 3 or a 3.5, not that that really means anything. Never really bothered with this band, but I should probably check'em out at some point.

StreetlightRock
May 7th 2010

SPIN had an amazing profile of Love last month, treated her really nicely, but the whole tone of it was like 'Yeah, Courtney is cool as all fuck, but the girl's got problems'.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

theacademy
May 7th 2010

none of this shit has anything to do with the album. nice one, bulldog.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

CrazyFool84
May 7th 2010

Re: Summary: I wish I could, but Skinny little bitch's radio play is starting to push me over the edge.

Nice review, used to not mind some of this band's earlier work...this, much like I was expecting, is just awful.

Meatplow

i'm a big fan of Celebrity Skin

Asiatic667
May 8th 2010

Yes, I'm sure "Dignified, intelligent and artistically vital" are things one usually associates with Courtney Love, LOL

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

""Because You're Worthless", in particular, sounds like a minor US rock radio hit from 1997."

This song is not in the track-listing. Is it in fact a B-Side/Bonus Track?

StreetlightRock
May 8th 2010

Academy you're an idiot if you think context has no place in a review.

AtavanHalen
May 8th 2010

Fuck the riff in Skinny Little Bitch is tasty. Larkin is no Erlandson, but the cunt can play.

Title track, SLB and Pacific Coast Highway are pretty good, but the rest are starting to shit me more and more.

AliW1993
May 8th 2010

listening to this now, and so far its pretty much what i expected - ok but nothing more