Deftones
Diamond Eyes

by Dr Hank Paulson USER (6 Reviews)
April 30th, 2010 | 33 replies | 7,655 views

Review Summary: A perfectly shaped ball of dung

It is of course a well worn cliché, but the Deftones of 2010 can best be described as a wounded dung beetle. In tests, male horned dung beetles were able to pull 1,141 times their own body weight - the equivalent of a person dragging six fully-laden double decker bus.

On Diamond Eyes, (interestingly enough their sixth full length album), they have once again crafted a perfectly shaped ball of dung and moulded it into compact disc form, this time without the help of comatose bassist Chi Cheng. The formula is well worn at this point and this album should not surprise anybody who has heard their previous efforts. Pristine production, relentlessly chugging riffs and of course, lead singer Chino Moreno’s patented half crooned, half screamed vocals are the hallmarks of any Deftones album and this is no different. I live near an airport, and while listening to the album I sometimes like to stand outside and raise my fists to the sky as the roar of passing jets shakes the asbestos tiles of my house. Of course, this album isn’t all about the riffs. It can be argued that Moreno’s consistently impressive lyrics are at an all time high here. On ‘Rocket Skates’, an instant classic, Chino describes how the technology of the future may result in dangerous footwear.

GUNS, RAZORS, KNIIIIIVES!

In this way, Chino is showing that he is capable of aggression. On Sextape, Moreno describes having sex with a female fan while her boyfriend waits outside for him to sign an autograph as the sound of the waves collide. It’s a beautiful image and really illustrates Chino’s newfound body confidence since losing weight.

All in all, the album is an enjoyable listen and I recommend it heartily. I place it next to Audioslave, The Prodigy, Stone Temple Pilots and Guns N Roses in my music cabinet. It is quite a good album and therefore I give it a 5/5 immediately.

Emery ...In Shallow Seas We SailThe National Boxer
Maroon 5 Songs About JaneTool Lateralus
Brand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
4.2

Brylawski

indeed

tombits
April 30th 2010

i don't know what dung beetles have to do with this but i pos'd.

theacademy

interesting

Asiatic667
April 30th 2010

trolling at its most subtle

Yazz_Flute

renegadestrings

love it

Wizard
May 1st 2010

What a fucking bizarre review. Have a pos' for being unique!

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

porch

bump

Sound
May 1st 2010

Haha what a 'shitty' review. pos'd, although I doubt that is the story behind Sextape lol

Metalstyles

It is quite a good album and therefore I give it a 5/5 immediately
This is such a good gibe at sputnik users' rating habits haha, nice job.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht