Propagandhi
Recovered

by Mike Allen USER (107 Reviews)
April 27th, 2010 | 19 replies

Review Summary: In just eight minutes, Propagandhi flex their muscles.

One of the most tiring debates in the music world has been over the “purpose” of punk rock. In its most primitive stage, punk served as a political and social statement; an excuse to have blue hair, a pierced lip, and eight thousand tattoos, all centered around the concept that well, the government sucks. This anarchic edge seemed perfectly suited for the music that accentuated it, becoming notorious for its blistering pace and abrasive demeanor, while retaining a sense of ease and simplicity. As the genre had progressed, some of these behavioral characteristics seemed to fall by the wayside, eventually giving way to pop-punk groups and other bands within the field that seemed indifferent to the mayhem of their predecessors. With this occurring, the argument that has developed in the most recent years has been that punk is dead. Whatever your definition or perspective of punk is, one fact remains true; Propagandhi are as good as they come these days.

Propagandhi have always been the diamond in the rough when it comes to their contemporaries. Despite possessing an obvious disregard for government in general, and maintaining much of the genre’s “original” connotation, Propagandhi have exhibited an exceptional knack for musicianship. Much of punk rock’s criticism is rooted in the verity of the music’s simplistic and replicable nature, regardless of its impact. Propagandhi are head and shoulders above the rest in this regard; crafting a sound that has conveyed elements of conventional punk, hardcore, thrash, and even progressive music into a cohesive and yet, melodic unit. These Canadian punk rockers seem perfectly spoken for in just an eight minute EP, entitled “The Recovery EP.” This short, but not sweet collection of B-sides seems to highlight the group with tremendous precision, ultimately contributing another genuine release to their repertoire. “The Recovery EP” holds true to the band’s deportment in that it blatantly discloses its dissatisfaction with authority and society in general. The record’s opener is a testament to both, indicating “All the times our government told you lies and yet you still follow,” only to conclude with “Everything that our society breeds; fascism, sexism, racism; must end.”

“The Recovered EP” exhibits both a melodic and authoritative edge, for each of the three songs work in multiple sections. Gamble proves to be the record’s most attributing moment; utilizing a much more chilled tempo and ambience than we are used to with Propagandhi, albeit proving to be just as effective. The first two tracks are an accurate response to the chaos of last year’s “Supporting Caste,” riding spastic bass-lines and drumming to characterize the band’s demeanor, but not yielding in terms of musicianship. The existence of somewhat of a progressive disposition is not lost among the EP, and is especially apparent in the latter moments of Led-Hold Trap. The album’s centerpiece is elevated in large part to the lead guitar-driven outro, which only presents further temperament to a solid record.

Propagandhi’s ridiculously short 2010 release, does nothing more for the band’s reputation, but in no way damages it. These Canadian punk rockers once again prove that they are a force to be reckoned with, and that for the moment the genre is still exceedingly relevant.

The State Lottery When the Night ComesThe Wrens The Meadowlands
Bruce Springsteen The PromiseRVIVR RVIVR
Iron Chic Not Like ThisFake Problems Real Ghosts Caught on Tape
3.2
good

April 27th 2010

Kinda hate the first paragraph, but it remains for the time being.

SeaAnemone

20826 Comments

expanding the genre of music you review a little I see? I like! your intro is a little too lengthy / in-depth but whatever, that's just my opinion... review is fantastic

April 27th 2010

Thanks Eric, kinda thought that about the intro. I have always listened to a little bit of punk, but I definitely have yet to really delve into the genre.

Romulus
April 27th 2010

Yeah I dig this review and this band so no harm in checking this out.

April 27th 2010

Thanks Ryan. The 8-minute length is just another reason to check it out.

TheSpirit

Very nice review Mike

Digging: Volahn - Aq Ab Al

Prophet178
April 27th 2010

The songs are old songs from the first two albums that have been dug up and "recovered" by the way, doesn't seem like you knew that from the review. Otherwise good job as usual, I agree about the intro though.

Greggers

Good review as usual Mike

April 27th 2010

Yeah I didn't know that, makes sense though.
Thanks all.

Awesomesauce
April 27th 2010

Not a bad review mate. Posd. And as stated by Prophet, these are VERY old songs from How To Clean Everything/Less Talk, More Rock era. The guys are currently in the studio recording a follow up to Supporting Caste and are also looking for a new label, as Smallman are preparing to fold.

mmfarva
April 28th 2010

Solid review. I love all three songs (it's pretty cool hearing John singing for Propagandhi again), and really can't wait for the new album. Absolutely fucking love these guys.

BananaSlamma
April 28th 2010

Quality EP for a three dollar donation price, although it's worth noting that Leg Hold Trap is the only original Propagandhi song on here. Great to finally hear a studio version of their Gamble cover though, song was a highlight of Where Quantity is Job #1 and they really nail it here, especially with Chris's smooth vocals.

Ponton

Great stuff mike

Digging: Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were

Thanks all.

Nagrarok
April 28th 2010

Mike, I must be honest and say you have passed me by in terms of writing skill. Just a few months ago I was still telling you the do's and don'ts, and look at the difference now, haha.

scotish
April 28th 2010

I agree, 1st paragraph is a bit odd in that it's "well this is what punk is, but regardless, these guys are pretty good" and it seems a bit random. but not gonna complain, still a great review.

Kiran
April 28th 2010

totally forgot this was being released and good review except i think that line sort of implies with 'accurate response' that these are either new tracks or b-sides from the supporting caste sessions, whereas they're actually from the how to clean everything and less talk more rock recordings.

edit - didnt read the comments, someone mentioned this, my bad

Digging: Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

April 28th 2010

I probably should have realized that by looking at the title or doing more research. Thanks all.

Spec
August 9th 2012

Recovered hmm. What are Chris's vocals like? Smooth?

Digging: Midnight - No Mercy for Mayhem