Animal Collective
Fall Be Kind

by Plutonio USER (18 Reviews)
April 25th, 2010 | 20 replies | 3,610 views

Review Summary: Fall Be Kind is Animal Collective impressing both fans and skeptics.

Opening with “Graze”, Fall Be Kind shows Animal Collective toying with animated strings, Beach Boys-influence, and a serene glance at folk. With a Disney sort of magical charisma, Fall Be Kind then segues into “What Would I Want? Sky”, which also provides an austere mash of folk and pop, but combines it with a complex electronic arrangement and a dual-vocal harmony. The second, and probably the most notorious song on Fall Be Kind encapsulates all that the album is: an expressive and melodic EP which brings Animal Collective down to earth. "Sky" shows Animal Collective mastering the art of simplicity in many areas, despite the many complex time signatures. What’s more is that despite the choppy sample from Grateful Dead’s “Unbroken Chain”, “Sky” is an example of Animal Collective’s strength as songwriters and naturally melodic sound.

Here is where one of Fall Be Kind's strengths is found. Each song seems to be just a continuation of the same, twenty-seven minute long arrangement. Each of the tracks on this EP is melodic and genuinely experimental, but never overbearing or out-of-place. Animal Collective also have become more intimate with Fall Be Kind. “Bleed” marks the more ethereal latter-half of the EP with a melancholy flavor. However, Animal Collective are at their most personal with "On A Highway", referencing other band members and crafting one of indie's most somber tunes. Again, Animal Collective refuse to look behind their shoulders as they throw out all the conventions of "cool." While bands like Yeasayer are reviving the chipper tunes of the eighties, Animal Collective are showing all sorts of emotions.
Transforming from a lighthearted masterwork to a morose closing, Fall Be Kind is the kind of album that exudes evocation. Unlike "On A Highway", “Graze” is a joyous song evoking castles in England and mediaeval garb with a world-conscious pop anthem. But the most innovative and hard-to-figure-out track here is "I Think I Can". Epic and profound, the track seems somewhat meandrous at first. The long introduction is somewhat muddled, and as the song opens up, it decrescendos, asking for future listens. In this way, Animal Collective have finally fulfilled their potential as one of indie's experiments. Depsite its short length and slightly dorky nature, [i[Fall Be Kind[/i] is an excellent take on all things innovative and emotional. Fall Be Kind is all over the place, eclectic in a way that never undermines Animal Collective's pop sensibilities. Whether it be the long electronic intro on "What Would I Want? Sky", or the Alice-In-Wonderland-like "Graze", Animal Collective's latest EP is an ambitious and great effort that begs for more listens (if just to understand it).

*A quote taken from AtavanHalen.

Black Veil Brides We Stitch These WoundsLindstrom & Christabelle Real Life Is No Cool
We Are The World Clay StonesCirca Survive Blue Sky Noise
Erykah Badu New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the AnkhIkonika Contact, Love, Want, Have
  • Paul blart (5)
    "Fall Be Kind" gives us an Animal Collective showing off their most cohesive and consisten...

Lewis P. STAFF (5)
    As a collection of songs, each one ranks among the band’s best; as an album, Fall Be Kin...

Sean Milo (4.5)
    "So I was walking down a dark alleyway at night, with my iPod in listening to Fall Be Kind...

Eno (4.5)
    Animal Collective further expand their pop prowess, while holding onto their freak-folk as...

• Adam Downer STAFF (4.5)
    This is Animal Collective at their finest folks, inviting everyone in to see them at their...

April 25th 2010

I'm not sure if this is good or not; I just wanted to say something, as I trashed AC constantly on this website, but I just listened to this and things are changing indeed.

April 25th 2010

Merriweather Post Pavilion was one of last decade’s most controversial releases.

Pretty sure it was critically acclaimed by nearly every reputable music outlet last year.

Parallels

yeah sure. lol

Ire
April 25th 2010

I'm going to give this band another chance. I guess I should either listen to this or Feels.

Those two seem to be their most "accessible" releases.

April 25th 2010

Call me a skeptic, but this didn't impress me

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

yeah sure. lol

check the soundoffs and see the diversity of opinion.
Also, when I say controversial, I mean more than major critic sources.

April 25th 2010

Call me a skeptic, but this didn't impress me.

SKEPTIC

April 25th 2010

Also, when I say controversial, I mean more than major critic sources.

Oh so you mean the 97 people out of the 852 ratings on this site? I don't think I would call that controversial. I would also like to point out that 7 of the 9 reviews on this site have given it above a 3.5 (Great), 1 of which is MichealJordan, so 7 of the 8 real reviews on this site have praised the album.

April 25th 2010

would attention-grabbing be a better substitute? I could still base my first paragraph off that couldn't i?

April 25th 2010

The point I'm getting at is Animal Collective was only controversial to YOU, making your review very subjective. I like your writing for the most part, but I think the intro diminishes any objective integrity of the review.

April 25th 2010

I don't think controversial is the word you want to be using

scotish
April 25th 2010

you use words like exoking and stuff so much that it's overwhelming. it's impressive English, yes, and it's well written, but it's never brought down to a simpler level and it sounds like you're trying really hard to make it not-straightforward. I mean, I love delicate descriptions and eloquent language in that kinda way, but it's been pushed here so much the reader can't get ahold of what the argument is or to feel included in the review. so it would be a pos on the vocabulary, but I'd hold it back on it being a review that's overly hard to follow and aloof.

April 25th 2010

The main problem I have with your reviews are that you spend so much effort (or at least appear to) into adding really descriptive and intelligent words, when they aren't really needed. And as a result of this overused jargon you end up chasing your tail in a lot of the sentences, like you say a song is "melodic and straightforward" but then also say that its an "austere mix of folk and pop with a complex electronic beat and mathematically intriguing time signatures".

I mean its obvious you have a firm grasp/mastery of the english language but you're gonna alienate your readers with vocabulary like that. You have great points to make, and you are a really good writer, but maybe you should try "dumbing it down" just a notch or two

Enotron
April 25th 2010

I thought that was a pretty great review.

TheWayfarerElectric
April 25th 2010

I agree with everyone else, but to a lesser extent.

Athom
April 25th 2010

what would i want skyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Fix'd... hopefully

scotish
April 25th 2010

yup, this is a little better. still a bit of a description splurge, but the review is what it is I guess, and definately a pos.

April 25th 2010

thank you scotissh will note that ffr

April 27th 2010