Delorean
Subiza

by Nick Butler EMERITUS
April 24th, 2010 | 39 replies | 13,714 views

Review Summary: Animal Collective having sex on the beach with David Morales - it's very good indeed.

As we slide into 2010 and leave the confusing, scattershot '00s behind, one question has been playing on my mind - just what will the '90s revival sound like? Nobody who's been paying attention will need to be told that every facet of the '80s, good or bad, was shamelessly regurgitated and picked apart last decade in literally every existing genre of pop music, so how will that continue through a new decade? I'll admit that my initial instinct was that it'd be horrible - all the best bits of the '90s never really went away (even if grunge just became Nickelback), and all the stuff that's been forgotten should stay that way. There's a very real possibility of an B*witched or Vengaboys revival, and I'd rather not be here when it happens, thanks.

So imagine my surprise when, not even five months into the new decade, I discover a band who's found a forgotten '90s sound worth remembering, and adapted it into a still-current genre without being tokenist, retro, dated, or ironic. How Delorean have done it, I don't know, but they sound like a band I've known and loved all my life. Maybe this is what 30 year-olds see in La Roux.

The one obvious comparison point for them is Animal Collective - there's little getting around the similarity in the vocals, certainly. Yet rather than being confused and uncertain about the layers of noise and the dance elements they're layering over the top of their songs, Delorean know exactly what they're doing - this is the pure blissful rush of late-'90s Balearic house, absorbed into indie pop. It's no surprise that they come from Barcelona, recorded this album only a few miles away from Pamplona, and DJ regularly in the area - it evokes the beaches of Ibiza so perfectly that at times, you need to stand back and remind yourself that you're listening to a guitar band. After being battered with dance-rock acts who don't understand the first thing about dance for the last five years, this is a revelation. Let's face it - for sheer cluelessness of the non-rock genres they're incorporating, indie-dance had become the new nu-metal. Delorean may as well be The Roots in that context.

Underneath it all, though, is an unmaskable pop instinct. The best dance music is completely communal, and this certainly is, but in a way that reaches beyond druggy summer holidays in the sun - because like all the most successful pop, it's completely effortless. There's not a single second on this album that's difficult to listen to, just as there's not a single second that sounds like it was difficult to write. A newcomer to music simply wouldn't believe that the rest of us need to interpret this as a blend of two separate genres, because everything comes together so naturally. The majestic opener and first single "Stay Close", with its cut-up vocal refrain, ravey percussion, and massed choral backing vocals recalling tiny bits of David Morales, Arcade Fire, Burial, DB Boulevard, A Guy Called Gerald, Modjo, and Temper Trap all at once, is the kind of song that inspires complete euphoria, and just a little twinge of sadness that not all music sounds this way.

With any luck, this'll be the soundtrack to the summer; if you're a part of my generation, and you've ever been interested in dance music, Subiza will make you more nostalgic than any other album this year.

Scott Walker Bish BoschEmilie Autumn Fight Like A Girl
Susanne Sundfor The Silicone VeilPepe Deluxe Queen of the Wave
djigor (4)
Second year in a row Delorean create perfect music for another blissful summer....

For Meatplow (3.5)
Delorean's latest full-length album, Subiza, is undoubtedly a cheery look into the minds of a new an...

Shrapnel94

Bitchfork

Iai
April 24th 2010

Ugh, Pitchfork don't like this, do they?

e: Actually their review isn't bad, even if the Primal Scream comparison is a little weird.

AggravatedYeti
April 24th 2010

Album is killer. didn't expect less.

plane
April 24th 2010

The EP was a blast, I will be checking this out. I never saw the Animal Collective comparison though, I'll assume that's new.

StreetlightRock
April 24th 2010

Yeah, I'm not sure about the AC comparison, but this I've been looking forward to this since the EP, which was absolutely amazing. This is still bangin', but not quite as good.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Kiran
April 24th 2010

EP ruled and honestly i wouldve been very surprised if they were able to keep that up for an entire record but this is still very fun

"stay close" is so sexy

Iai
April 24th 2010

To be honest, MPP sounds like a band who have no idea what they're doing, and this sounds like the same band once they've grown up a bit and figured that out.

But you guys like Animal Collective so I don't really expect you to see the comparison like I do.

hayo

kitsch
April 24th 2010

def going to check this out i need some happy music

Athom

sounds scrumptious

AggravatedYeti
April 24th 2010

I think I like this a bit more than the EP, the music sounds heftier, the bass is just so rich on this record.

Deviant.
April 24th 2010

Agreed on the bass, but I almost get the feeling that some of the ideas have been stretched just a little to thin, what worked out so well on the ep doesn't have the same affect given the longer length of a full album. Still damn good though.

Couldn't agree more with the last sentence of the review as well

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

Plutonio
April 25th 2010

Am I the only person that really loves pitchfork? They get so much shit.

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

All aboard the VengaBus.

shazwagon
April 25th 2010

Pitchfork doesn't like this? It's their Best New Music at 8.4!

Plutonio, you're not the only one. Pitchfork has introduced me to some great music!

DoubtGin
April 25th 2010

apparently they sound like AC, which, next to Radiohead probably, might be Pitchforks favourite band.. they HAD to like this

shazwagon
April 25th 2010

AC and Radiohead are two of the most universally praised bands right now. Why would anyone single out PF?

Roach

why oh why would they

Plutonio
April 26th 2010

I admit that they're very hipsterized, but alas so am I.

Although I can't stand a lot of AC's stuff, minus Feels and Fall Be Kind.

Dogget
April 26th 2010

Sounded like Take That at times. My sister described it as 'gay passion pit' which was pretty funny, not my cup of tea to be honest.