fun.
Live At Fingerprints

by Davey Boy STAFF
April 22nd, 2010 | 117 replies | 19,306 views

Review Summary: Quivers Cuomo approves of this live EP… Cannibal Corpse does not.

Often overlooked for quality of performance, arguably the most integral objective of any kind of live recording is the ability to make the listener feel like they are at the venue. Also the most difficult of qualities to accomplish, it is an aim which if achieved, goes a long way to making that particular release a resounding success. It is the realization of this goal, which makes ‘Live At Fingerprints’ - a five song E.P by New York based indie-pop trio fun. – so enjoyable and (dare I say) fun to experience.

Released as part of the celebrations for Record Store Day, ‘Live At Fingerprints’ was recorded at the Fingerprints Indie record shop located in Long Beach, California. From the between-song banter to the instrumentation and vocals, fun.’s performance is so natural, sincere and real, that you can almost hear the waves striking the shore some two blocks away. In fact, it would not have surprised if the band had ended up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean themselves, if the hilarious anecdote describing the violent shaking of their van (forever to be known as Quivers Cuomo) earlier in the day, is anything to go by.

Exactly half of the tracks contained on the outfits tremendous debut LP ‘Aim and Ignite’ have been stripped down here, as fun. create some magic with only their voices, a couple of acoustic guitars, a piano and the barest of percussion. From the fantastic vocal harmonies of ‘All The Pretty Girls’, to the liveliness and offbeat vocal interplay which raises ‘At Least I’m Not As Sad’ to EP highlight, the trio (with the occasional help of a female backing vocalist) hardly put a foot wrong. Even their adaptation abilities shine, as can be seen on closer ‘Take Your Time’ – humorously introduced as the Cannibal Corpse version – which loses very little in adjusting its joyous African rhythms to an acoustic setting.

‘Live At Fingerprints’ is not totally perfect. Ninety percent of the three minute long Interlude is an uninteresting discussion concerning the words “boss” and “biz”, that should have been edited down to only include the relevant introduction to emotional piano-ballad ‘The Gambler’, while the absence of (my #6 song of 2009) ‘Be Calm’ and ‘Barlights’ must also be questioned. These are relatively minor quips however, and in no way take away from what remains a thoroughly delightful 29 minutes worth that is difficult to dislike. Quivers Cuomo would most certainly approve, even if Cannibal Corpse may not.

Recommended Tracks: At Least I’m Not As Sad (As I Used To Be), Take Your Time (Coming Home) & The Gambler.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Fanfarlo Let's Go ExtinctAbandon All Ships Malocchio

20856 Comments

Review written solely for the purpose of stopping a potential Strikey fanboy gush at the pass.

April 22nd 2010

I miss The Format so much.

April 22nd 2010

hm i suppose i'll get this nice review daveyboi

Thanks Free Man.

I will have to admit something at this point in time; I have yet to hear 'Dog Problems'. Ready the machine guns.

April 22nd 2010

Typical that you've wasted your life with Def Leppard and haven't heard one of the REAL greatest albums ever.

20856 Comments

I will make it a priority to do so soon... It's a shame they don't cover 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' though.

April 22nd 2010

Format don't really do eighties. Though they do reference Duran Duran in one song.

20856 Comments

There's a moment at the beginning of 'All the Pretty Girls' where fun. are going back way further than the 80s. Very Beach Boys-like.

April 22nd 2010

Hahaha, dude; there was a mini-argument over those harmonies in the Aim and Ignite thread (I think Sylvia's?) where I was all "they sound like The Beach Boys!" and other were all "naww it sounds like Queen".

def queen

20856 Comments

Haha. I'll take another listen shortly, but my initial reaction on just that song was Beach Boys. It didn't really continue on throughout the track though.

April 22nd 2010

"All the pretty girls on a Saturday night"? It even sounds like something the Beach Boys would sing about!

20856 Comments

There's also a touch of that 3rd name in the Reco By reviewer section.

(Davey runs & hides)

TEENAGE DREAMS IN A TEENAGE CIRCUS

Athom

def meatloaf

20856 Comments

People need to stop abbreviating "definitely" to "def". There is only one word that should come after those 3 letters.

FX?

20856 Comments

I knew someone would have something clever in reply. Thankfully FX is not a word.

Knott-

))))))))))))))))))

20856 Comments

I can't see whatever picture you have typed Adam. I presume it's a smiley face.