Circulatory System
Signal Morning

by Lewis P. STAFF
April 10th, 2010 | 30 replies | 11,910 views

Review Summary: The sky came down and tapped us on the shoulder.

Circulatory System plays out like one might envision the human body when described as a machine, full of hardwires and nerves connecting vessels pooling oil into our lungs to give us sustenance and power our brain. Signal Morning imagines that machine as the byproduct of all the emotional and physical stress it is subjected to, the worker ant diligently accepting the patterns spun by a misty grey mother nature and all the orange parties filled with woodpeckers it can stomach: here are the electronic diversions, the I You and We crowding the walkways and talk talking our thoughts to We I and You. Here are the mental breakdowns seized by a mysterious illness and its arduous, triumphant recovery, as if the story of Elephant Six alumni Will Cullen Hart-- following the release of debut Circulatory System, Hart was forced into a seven year hiatus by the symptoms and diagnoses soon thereafter of multiple sclerosis-- is infused into the very DNA of Signal Morning’s chaotic, cut-and-paste pastiche. The facts are these: creatively rejuvenated following the successful recovery of his eyesight and other physical and psychological ailments, Hart recorded 30 or 40 tracks on a handful of CDs which he handed over to bandmates Charlie Johnston and Nesey Gallons to sequence and edit together. “They added some horns and backing vocals. It was awesome.” All the original members of The Olivia Tremor Control appear, as well as Neutral Milk Hotel members Jeff Mangum and Julian Koster. It at times recalls the neo-psychedelic that many of these Elephant 6ers, Hart included, have made quite the impression on.

As a personal narrative (quite the overstated, sprawling narrative at that), Signal Morning is something a bit more intriguing, relying more often on the emotional provocation of its sound experiments and how they widen the emotional cracks of ruminations like, “Why not try breathing along with the universe?” or, “Do you think we can lift the shadow? Do you think at all?” Questions are posed, answers are contradicted, and Hart, aided by remarkably creative companions, unsnarls an industrial indie-psychedelic-rock clusterfuck that covers all the requirements one must cover when attempting a follow-up to one of the decade's earliest lo-fi trend-setters. Signal Morning is also a bold championing of that genre at a point when contentions must be made about its current state and unforeseeable future, and a celebration of the life that leads to such an intimate, overstuffed recount of one's own particle parade.

Jenny Hval VisceraYALL Drink From Between Our Hair
Deerhunter Halcyon DigestWavves King of the Beach
Animal Collective Here Comes the IndianStorm and Stress Storm and Stress

April 10th 2010

Reviewing has become this thing I cannot do but this I had to. Listen.

SeaAnemone

19721 Comments

I really dislike Olivia Tremor Control but I feel like I owe this a listen

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Ghostechoes
April 10th 2010

Yup, this album is awesome.

April 10th 2010

On a related note, check out this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_wQ3PgS204

klap
April 10th 2010

olivia tremor control rules eric whats wrong with you

and oh hey essplode

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

lobby

yeah, it's pretty good.

liledman
April 10th 2010

yeah i like it but quite obviously not as much as you.

review is about as succinct as they come, nice work.

Kiran

very nice

AggravatedYeti

I love this album

and sorry eric; Olivia are prob way cooler than you.

robertsona
April 10th 2010

haha was waiting for this review

great album; saw them live and it was fairly awesome (especially the title track from this)

April 10th 2010

I'm rather surprised by the lack of hyperbole by the few that have heard this. I can't stop listening, it only gets better.

Ghostechoes
April 10th 2010

Last year, I listened to this incessantly for nearly two months. Nowadays, however, when I listen to
it only occasionally, I feel like part of its beauty has been lost. Still a great album, though.

Roach

this is incredz

joshuatree
April 10th 2010

ugh such a good album, so lame how so many people slept on this

Boognish3
April 10th 2010

what do they sound like i'm not reading the review

Skyler
April 10th 2010

The first album was good, but it really trailed off about halfway through.

After first song tbh

CrimsonChin
April 11th 2010

so i'm guessing starting with this out of their two albums would be the best bet?

Obfuscation24
April 11th 2010

This has to be one of the most unique albums I've ever heard, but in a good way.