Austlune
Austlune

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (54 Reviews)
April 9th, 2010 | 43 replies | 3,175 views

Review Summary: An unpredictable, atmospheric trip.

Doesn’t matter what you think, 2009 was a pretty great year for metal. It saw the return of the powerful old school death metal scene, it saw some great bands such as Mastodon and Panopticon make another solid addition to their catalogue and quite a few promising new bands made their appearance.

This is where Austlune comes in. Hailing from Detroit and currently unsigned, Austlune is essentially one person, someone we have come to know as FireAboveIceBelow (Danny Heater). His 6 track demo is an interesting take on progressive blackened death metal that manages to be atmospheric and eclectic all at once.

The album jumps right into your ears with what sounds like some loud pick scraping played over some slow leads. The production is thick and envelops you within seconds. The song then takes a complete turn-around as the drums come in and the guitars switch over to some heavy chords but while maintaining that thick atmospheric sound. The album continues on like this, keeping you trapped in atmosphere while jumbling you around god knows where but all the while, maintaining its cohesiveness and structure. You journey through loud chords that quickly change tempo and become melodic leads which transform themselves into a folky strummed interlude and the whole thing feels like a bit of a mind*** the first time around and might honestly leave some feeling a little lost. But, being only 20 minutes long, the demo is easy to return to and it is upon these returns that one begins noticing hidden pieces in the music and gaining a better understanding of the ride they’ve been on. Transitions that had seemed like a blur in the production start to make sense and songs take on a new dimension when one discovers a hidden synth part or a buried guitar lead.

The demo is obviously not without its faults. The guitar production does make some transitions sound a little blurred (about a third into Dead Flags for example). The basic idea is always distinguishable but the notes seem jumbled and would benefit from something slightly clearer. Also the drums (only instrument that wasn’t handled by Mr. Heater) sound a lot simpler than the rest of the instruments, almost as if the drummer was too focused on keeping time with everything to explore a little.

But all in all, Austlune delivers a surprisingly strong first demo that definitely has my hopes up for the upcoming album (which sources say should be this summer). But then again, what else would one expect from an ex sputnik elitist?

The demo is up for free download on the band's blog:
[URL]http://austlune.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
Matta PrototypeDeadmau5 Random Album Title

combustion07
April 9th 2010

Always considered reviewing this but never have. Good review, what ever happened to FireAboveIceBelow?

Willie
April 9th 2010

SputnikMusic was killing his muse.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

nice review, nice album

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

April 9th 2010

what ever happened to FireAboveIceBelow?

I talk to him almost every day; he's working on other projects and reviewing for a different site now.

Bumped for Fire

Hawks
April 10th 2010

Well I'm going to check this shit out because it looks interesting and because it's Fire's band.

April 10th 2010

Be sure to leave feedback about it. He appreciates any criticism that might help better his future ventures

[img]http://www.sputnikmusic.com/images/bands/14683.jpg[/img]

i just had to do it

Relinquished

^ is that danny?

Good album, Fire, Benzum, all the good guys leave the site. I'm thinking of leaving.

Dryden

but then they win

April 10th 2010

yeah that's him. why do you want to leave dude?

Relinquished
April 10th 2010

I don't know but have you seen how this place got? I'm not alone either, Karl might go too.

April 10th 2010

yeah I know what you mean, most of the good users have either left or don't post as often anymore and
most of the new ones have shit for brains.

April 10th 2010

I think the real problem is there aren't any good threads anymore, which is a direct result of people being too full of themselves. Before (and I'm not talking just sputnik here, I'm more thinking overall) when someone didn't like a highly acclaimed album or vice versa (liked stuff like Limp Bizkit, for example), he was rather asked to explain, expand why he dislikes it/likes it. Now a simple "faggot" does the job it seems. No wonder people are much less willing to post their thoughts over anything.

combustion07
April 10th 2010

Yeah the site is kind of going down the shitter. I used to post all the time but most the people I was cool with have left, I don't really know any other good music sites though so I stick around.

April 12th 2010

I see a lot of 3.5's here. Anyone care to expand on their thoughts on this?

April 12th 2010

Not really no ;). It's just a solid demo album to throw on every once in a while

Deviant.
April 12th 2010

Sounds interesting, might take look into this.

And just on a side note, i've only been here like 7(?) months and even i've noticed a big difference in this site. To many random users and and an overabundance of trolls

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

April 12th 2010

Not to mention the rampant elitism

Deviant.