Sigh
Hail Horror Hail

by somberlain USER (64 Reviews)
March 31st, 2010 | 11 replies | 6,476 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The album where Sigh’s ambitions really took over

Mirai- Vocals, Bass, Synthesizer, Piano, Hammond Organ, Vocoder, Sampling, Programming, Radio, Effects
Shinichi- Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Bass
Satoshi- Drums, Triangle, Tambourine, Guiro, Vibraslap, Handclap

WARNING (as reads on the label on the back of this album)
This album is way beyond the conceived notion of how metal, or music, should be. In essence it is a movie without pictures; a celluloid phantasmagoria. Accordingly, the film jumps, and another scene, seemingly unconnected with the previous context, is suddenly inserted in between frames.
Every sound on this album is deliberate, and if you find that some parts of this album are strange; it isn’t because the music is in itself strange, but because your conscious self is ill-equipped to comprehend the sounds produced on this recording.

From their early days, it was evident that Sigh were not your typical band, maybe it had something to do with them being from Japan. When you live in a country that doesn’t have a huge metal scene, it’s not as easy to follow the next big trend so instead you have to set your own trend and with their third full length album, Sigh really carved out their own strange and unique niche.

Further expanding on the ideas that were hinted at on Infidel Art Sigh throws caution to the wind on Hail Horror Hail and empty their bag of tricks using any imaginable sound (whining dogs?) to create a dense soundscape that few would dare to try and replicate. There are atmospheric passages throughout the nine tracks, seven of which are at least five minutes long. Many songs on here meander aimlessly and lose the attention of the listener but according to the warning, this is OUR fault not theirs as most people are ill-equipped to comprehend what they are doing.

The album opening title track is the most “normal” sounding song on here, a dirty thrash track with superb guitarwork and Mirai’s raspy vocals but midway through it is filled with lush classical strings to remind that this is Sigh, a band with a style all their own. The orchestral arrangements of ‘Invitation to Die’ are spectacular and makes this the most memorable track. Album closer ‘Seeds of Eternity’ is a nine minute epic that once again goes in many different directions, a masterful mid-paced track that justifies its long running time.

Hail Horror Hail is where Sigh creativity and experimentation really took off and it was probably their best work to date, even though it’s far from perfect it showed the potential that would be fully realized two albums later on Imaginary Sonicscape.

Recommended tracks

The Haunted The HauntedOrganized Konfusion Organized Konfusion
Roadrunner United Roadrunner United The Concert (DVD)AZ Doe or Die

somberlain
March 31st 2010

That warning sounds like a typical sputniker defending his fav band/album “If you don’t like it it’s because YOU aren’t smart enough to understand it!”

ButcheredChildren
March 31st 2010

i had an out of body moment when i read your review, well written but only 1 paragraph is about the actual album aha

"S"-cenes From Hell
"I"-maginary Sonicscape
"G"-allows Gallery
"H"-angman's Hymn

bloozclooz
March 31st 2010

saying "if you don't like this it's cause yo ain't good enough" is a pretty lame thing to put on an album

ButcheredChildren
March 31st 2010

nice, i like to point out the obvious as well, your statement will set everyone who reads this page straight

Mags172
March 31st 2010

Love this band, and I've listened to the title track live once, and it seemed different. Need to check this album out.

combustion07
April 1st 2010

Awesome band, haven't bothered checking this out though, I should.

any14doomsday
April 1st 2010

This is on of my favorite sigh releases. Its just so damn weird sometimes.

Countess
April 2nd 2010

I think it's better than the review makes it out to be

somberlain
April 4th 2010

well I think the review "makes it out to be" a 3.5 which is what I think its is

Countess
April 11th 2010

well I disagree with the rating. You don't have to be an asshole about it!

HenchmanOfSanta
July 9th 2010

"S"-cenes From Hell
"I"-maginary Sonicscape
"G"-allows Gallery
"H"-angman's Hymn
I belive you meant "S"-cenario IV: Dead Dreams. Scenes From the Hell is the first album of the third SIGH phase. The first was

Scorn Defeat