Weedeater
God Luck and Good Speed

by Jordan F. USER (21 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2010 | 40 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A memorable and authentic display of southern sludge. One of the greatest "true" sludge albums of the decade.

Weedeater is a megaheavy 3 piece from Wilmington NC that has shattering ear drums since 1998. You might be familiar with the lord of southern sludge, Dave “Dixie Collins. He is the vocalist/bassist and chemically altered brain behind Weedeater. Collins is quite a figure in the Sludge scene, heading older bands such as Buzzov*en, Bongzilla and Sourvein. That being said, "Godluck and Goodspeed" is bludgeoning example of what Sludge was meant to be. Not that the more recent, atmospheric and progressive styles are “untrue” but this is post-amplification blues all the way.

The organic, raw production of Steven Albini creates the feeling you are there watching them play live. Collin’s teeth rattling bass and throat searing vocals are the foundation for most of the tracks but the guitar has some moments out front too. “For Evan’s Sake” comes to mind, with the slow bluesy solo near the middle of the track. Kirkum batters the drums throughout, keeping the slow motion, fuzzed out melodies in line. The entire album isn’t amp abuse though, “Alone” is a whiskey tinged banjo ballad performed by Mike Dead from Corrosion of Conformity. The outro to the album is a melancholic piano piece called “Willow” that sounds like it be heard playing at some abandoned bar. Other than those two tracks, "Godluck and Goodspeed" is all about assaulting amps.

Most of the tracks alternate between slow motion heavy riffage and the more upbeat groovy blues that leans toward early Black Sabbath. “Wizard Fight” and “$20 Peanut” are both on the groove oriented, insane party paced side of things. The cover of “Gimme Back My Bullets” makes it sound like it belongs to Weedeater and annihilates all other versions I have heard of the song (Although I’m not a giant Skynyrd fan). If you are a fan of Eyehategod or just the southern brand of sludge in general this is an essential. I’ve been listening to this album frequently for over a year so it is pretty memorable. "Godluck and Goodspeed" captures the primal form of this style and manages to keep it fresh at the same time.