Bears and Bright Lights
Bears & Bright Lights

by Super Grover USER (32 Reviews)
March 19th, 2010 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Watching fireworks in parking lots

I first stumbled across Bears and Bright Lights’ self-titled EP when I was a freshman in high school, far too young to understand the Get Up Kids reference in the final track. I would ponder over the title for hours-- the song was undoubtedly about love lost and vocalist Zach West was undoubtedly male, so why was the tune dedicated to another very male-sounding “Matt Pryor”? After weeks of contemplation and running through the three tracks ad nauseam on iTunes, I came to the extremely logical conclusion that West was obviously homosexual, and I had absolutely no problem with that.

Whether male or female, it’s evident that someone ripped West’s heart out on Bears and never really bothered to give it back. This is the kind of wound that never completely heals, because Bears are too busy reliving it again and again and again until all of a sudden, time has flown out the window and we’re stuck lamenting “unfinished lines and wasted time”, or as “There, Sort of Blue Grey” so simply puts it-- “Oh my God/it’s another wasted year.” But Bears aren’t a bunch of sadsacks. This is the stuff that summer nights are made out of, the process of building new memories and maybe, finally, letting go of old ones. It’s the promise of the first day of a second life rather than the final day of the first.

I often sit back and wonder how I ever liked the EP when I first heard it, when nostalgia to me meant Legos and Spiderman rather than her, or them, or that night. It doesn’t matter because I loved it then and I still do. If you have fifteen minutes to spare, listen to this. If you have a sweet tooth for 90s emo and pop-punk-fueled nostalgia, listen to this. If you’re alive, listen to this.

Friendzone DXThe Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle
The National Trouble Will Find MeAlice in Chains The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
The Airborne Toxic Event Such Hot BloodMeat Puppets Rat Farm

March 19th 2010

The system totally screwed up here and created like four copies of the same album, but while I try to fix it give this a listen on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/bearsandbrightlights and buy it on itunes-- it's really good stuff.

EVedder27
March 19th 2010

I demand a tracklist! Have a pos though.

March 19th 2010

Agh one of the multiple copies of this album has one, hopefully once the mods get to this it'll all be taken care of. I think it goes...

1- Everybody Gets One
2- There, Sort of Blue Grey
3- Dear Matt Pryor (Thanks for Everything)

Willie

Got it ;)

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

March 19th 2010

Thanks for the help, Willie, much appreciated. I edited the '&' if it helps any.

June 23rd 2010

Awesome review dude. This is a great find. Pos.

June 23rd 2010

Thanks man, I actually love this band (thus giving a 3 song EP a 4 haha). Really excited to see where they go from here

June 23rd 2010

Same here. They have lots of potential. I'd like to see where they can go from here as well. I think it's pretty funny that, including you and myself, there are only on of the 3 top listeners for this artsist on last.fm now.

arg double post

SeaAnemone
December 11th 2010

20520 Comments

I feel bad saying this because I know you love this guys who I usually agree with, but this was just really dull... and I actually think the poor singer is afflicted by Chad Kroeger syndrome.

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

December 12th 2010

as happy as i am that this has gotten more attention, that makes me really sad Sea. i am actually in love with this.

edit: also just curious what's chad kroeger syndrome?

mvood
December 15th 2010

Great review, can't thank you enough for helping me find this pos'd

March 19th 2011

okay everyone here needs to check this out: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/soundoff.php?albumid=70862

it's essentially a follow-up to this. nearly the same lineup.

TheyTookErrJobs
August 17th 2011

Band broke up :'(

August 17th 2011

that they did, but look up gates or the vinyls, both have former members. gates is the more emo/post-rock side of this, the vinyls are the more pop-punk side

also i think this review needs a rewrite badly