Pixies
Doolittle

by Pedro B. USER (303 Reviews)
September 13th, 2005 | 14 replies | 4,784 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

The Pixies. The artsy crowd love them, but unlike what so often happens, this is actually a good band. Right from their debut EP, Come On Pilgrim the band had strived to make a difference in the rock scene. However, where Pilgrim and full-length debut Surfer Rosa were basically sonic attacks of the visceral kind, 1989ís Doolitle is a creepily melodic, somberly naÔve album.

Featuring the ęmonkey gone to heavenĽ on the cover, Doolitle kicks off with Debaser, which perfectly combines the bandís poppy sound with Black Francisí raspy, angered vocal delivery. Upon listening to this song, one starts to notice something unusual: much like in Nirvana, itís Kim Dealís bass that drives the song, with the groupís estrogen bearer also delivering all the backing vocals on the album. ^

But after Debaser, a strange pattern takes place: only the odd-numbered songs are good. Wave Of Mutilation (track #3) is perhaps the albumís crowning jewel, with Debaser (#1), Here Comes Your Man (#5) and Gauge Away (#15) following suit. From the even tracks, only Tame, I Bleed and Monkey Gone To Heaven stand out. Crackity Jones is very funny, but by no means a Pixies classic, and as for the rest theyíre merely uninspired filler songs, some of them so short you donít even notice them, others boorishly long and uninteresting.

But putting the music aside for a second, letís focus on the lyrics. Theyíre often surrealistic, frequently sardonic, and have nothing to do with the groupís sugary melodies. Take Here Comes Your Man, for example. Itís been played exhaustively in radio stations all over the world in the past decade. But how many people have noticed that the song is actually about a burialÖfrom the dead manís point of view?! Other songs contain odes to marijuana (Gauge Away) or guns (There Goes My Gun) and thereís even an ecology-conscious lyric on Monkey Gone To Heaven (a song about a little monkey that dies covered in ę10.000 tons of sludge from New York and New JerseyĽ, which contains references to the destruction of the ozone layer).

However, as good as the lyrics are, many of the songs need improvement musically. And that is basically why I am not going to bow down to this record like everybody else. Itís undoubtedly a good record, arguably the Pixiesí finest hour, but itís a far cry from perfect. Still, all of you indie-rock fans should give it a try. Itís worth your time.

Reccomended Tracks:

Nirvana NevermindEnforcer Death By Fire
user ratings (2049)

Liberi Fatali
September 13th 2005

Heh, I was just listening to this album before seeing this review.

I really have to disagree with your review, Doolittle in my mind is one of the best albums of the 80s and definitely a classic of the genre.This Message Edited On 09.13.05

superpeer
September 13th 2005

I agree with you about the lyrics, but I don't agree that only some songs are good, like Liberi, I think this album is brilliant. Good review though.

OrbDragon
September 13th 2005

Good review by a great album. The only knock is that you didn't mention "Dead".

br3ad_man
September 13th 2005

A classic. And it owns Surfer Rosa. Nice work.

ReturnToRock
September 13th 2005

yeah, and i thought monkey was track 6, cos dead just rushes by...

Med57
September 13th 2005

Great album, although I'm unsure whether I prefer Surfer Rosa to this. It's an absolute essential to anyone who likes or who's looking to get into indie music, without any doubt whatsoever.

ToolBox
September 13th 2005

I could not disagree with you anymore on every single level. The Pixies aren't about technical proficiency its about a heart and a soul. A combining of genres. Doolittle, I believe, is better than Sufer Rosa. Upon rereading the review, I find it almost disturbing how it can be given anything below a 4.5 stars. Where is the old/better review?

danje
October 7th 2005

This album is amazing and deserves more than 3.5

whj247
June 19th 2006

a 3.5 lmao. yea u kno music and shit bro.

Foreskin Fondler
June 30th 2006

I really doubt you listened to this album more than five times.

AggravatedYeti
October 29th 2007

Well you're wrong.

Enotron
October 15th 2009

"This is a pre-Pixies song that I wrote when I was about 15. It's about wino's and hobos travelling on the trains who died in the California Earthquake. Before earthquakes everything gets very calm, animals stop talking and birds stop chirping and there's no wind. It's very ominous. I've been through a few earthquakes actually 'cos I grew up in California. I was only in one big one in 1971. I was very young and I slept through it. I've been awake through lots of small ones at school and at home. It's very exciting actually, a very comical thing. It's like the earth is shaking, and what can you do? Nothing." (Black Francis in the NME, April 1989)

Frank Black about Here Comes Your Man

Enotron
October 15th 2009

Negged this review. Fails to go into detail about what is wrong with the record.

October 11th 2010

This album is perfect. I don't understand why people find Silver boring, I think it's really good.