Liars
Sisterworld

by Ryan Flatley EMERITUS
March 9th, 2010 | 24 replies | 5,447 views

Review Summary: Sisterworld shows that behind every small and opaque locked door hides a disturbing storyline.

Unashamedly, Liars are completely new to me, essentially starting out on a blank slate. The band’s hit single from Sisterworld, “Scissor” piqued my interest enough to blindly look into their odd combination of post-punk, shoegaze, and experimental rock. Soon enough, “Scissor” turned out to be another attempt for Liars to advance on their already wide spectrum. And that is what makes this album so special; as any particular song can unravel a new variation, following similarly to Sisterworld’s inside album booklet. Within, we find the members of the band seemingly lost in the woods, while the album cover is a small, locked door, essentially uncovering the different paths in the woods. All that is left is whether they chose the correct path.

Sisterworld plays like it is enclosed in a bizarre, melancholy fantasy world. The album is drenched in a numb, comatose state, lacking any genuine happiness. “Scissor” initiates Sisterworld with a hymn of howling ghosts, followed by Angus Andrew muttering, ‘I found her with my scissor/this heart fell to the ground.’ From here, “Scissor” aggressively explodes, turning the mood from a string-arranged prayer of hope to an unexpected resuscitation, ‘she was…ALIVE AND BREATHING.’ At this point, there was nothing that could really damper such a brilliant opening statement, however the album relies on patience to fully bloom. “Here Comes All the People” and “I Still Can See an Outside World” are prime examples of this particular waiting game, littered with minor chord progressions at a relatively low tempo creating suspense that generally never resolves itself. Despite that, some tracks like “Proud Evolution” and “No Barrier Fun” are more obvious, setting up the bulk of the track early allowing pure, unabashed enjoyment. “Proud Evolution” delightfully plays off fluctuating guitar reverb, while Andrew quietly sings without overpowering the aura created. Conversely, tracks like “The Overachievers” and “Scarecrows on a Killer Slant” sound like the post-punk, dancing beats of the 80’s like the Ramones and Screeching Weasel, moving towards a more edgy sound than whimsical, adding that extra tinge of distinction.

As high-maintenance as Sisterworld may have just sounded, the benefits, so to say, are worth the wait. The turtle pace of Sisterworld sets up the album’s demeanor perfectly, as any creepy story should be slowly injected. Liars successfully created a stimulating, challenging, and disturbing record and while it may click immediately for some, don’t get frustrated if you find yourself lost in the woods.

Glassjaw Coloring BookNo Age Everything In Between
United Nations Nevermind the Bombings, Here's Your Six FiguresFar At Night We Live
Nas & Damian Marley Distant RelativesLCD Soundsystem This Is Happening
Cam EMERITUS (4.5)
Liars form their numerous sounds like Voltron, and, in the meantime, create their best album yet....

Kiran
March 9th 2010

got into them last year with the self titled so this was a nice surprise, though not something i really listen to frequently tbh

iarescientists

IsItLuck?
March 9th 2010

I still need to look into their past discography...

StreetlightRock

Scarecrows on a Killer Slant

amaazzing.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

klap
March 9th 2010

the video for scissor is awesome

Digging: Literature - Chorus

AggravatedYeti

^ yes, yes it is.

I still need to hear this, been holding off for some stupid fucking reason.

joshuatree

need a higher rating

123 also don't really get the "turtle pace" or whatever, album runs pretty smooth for me

IsItLuck?
March 9th 2010

probably because after listening to Dillinger for two weeks straight everything sounds slow, only plausible explanation.

NortherlyNanook

this

kingsoby1
March 9th 2010

i agree on the pace. it loses steam after scissor. that track is just epic.

TheSaneLunatic
March 9th 2010

I feel like I'm the only person who loves "Here Comes All the People" a lot. But the whole album is amazing. Too Much, Too Much is just a gorgeous, and appropriate, closer.

pixiesfanyo
March 10th 2010

Too Much, Too Much is easily the highlight. Love these guys.

Meatplow
March 10th 2010

I really like They Were Wrong, So We Drowned. Might check this out.

Yotimi
March 10th 2010

This is so good. The third time he says "gun" in Scarecrows is awesome for some reason.

dcha

With the GOON.

Donkey
March 10th 2010

So much praise, yet so small of a rating. Bump it up!

danielewski
March 11th 2010

aryan you need to man up

thebhoy
March 11th 2010

I like this album. I need their earlier stuff.

Jemidu06
March 12th 2010

streetlightrock stole my comment, that song is perfectly kickass

Yotimi
March 12th 2010

It's early but "Scarecrows on a killer slant" will at least be in my top 3 songs of the year