Buckethead
Colma

by Kronzo USER (43 Reviews)
March 7th, 2010 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

DISSECTING BUCKETHEAD

Part 4/50

So far, Buckethead has a three album catalog. He has recorded the high quality albums Bucketheadland and Giant Robot. Also, he has released Day Of The Robot. While Day Of The Robot was a somewhat interesting experiment in rave and electronica, it lacked the substance of his first two albums to really shine. Fast forward to March 24, 1998. This is the release date of Buckethead’s fourth album, Colma. After listening to and reviewing Bucketheadland, Giant Robot, and Day Of The Robot, I wonder if Buckethead will bounce back from the regression heard on Day Of The Robot and also of course what the songs will sound like. Fortunately, when I listen to the album opener “Whitewash”, all my speculations and worries seem to drift away as I let my mind wander in the soothing atmospheres Colma invokes.

Colma is the first mellow album Buckethead has released so far. To be frank, this album is beautiful. Buckethead wrote this album for his mother so she could relax with it while she was in the hospital. It would be hard to argue that Buckethead did not achieve his goal with this record. Colma is one of the most beautiful and pleasing records I have ever heard. This album is basically a collection of lullabies. As opposed to lets say, Between The Buried And Me’s Colors, I don’t have to try too hard to focus on what is going on, I just let it come to me as I slowly start to daydream to the seemingly simple yet gorgeous music.

Buckethead’s fourth album is extremely accessible for listeners. It’s hard to not get lost in the delayed guitar riffs in “Whitewash” or the very euphonic “Wondering” (which is also probably the best example of a “lullaby” on this album). “Wondering” also includes a cello which really compliments Buckethead’s playing. Buckethead makes use of lots of delay on this album. One of the most obvious examples would be “Big Sur Moon”, which is an interesting fast paced acoustic piece that has delay to create an almost dream-like effect. Also, “Ghost” is a generally ominous track which has just the right effects for the lead guitar parts. The percussion in “Ghost” reminds me of a heartbeat in a strange way.

The great thing about this record (and a lot of Buckethead records for that matter), is that there is a lot of variation in the album which makes for almost no two songs to sound the same. “Whitewash” and “For Mom” are some of the more dynamic songs, the latter has an almost Spanish-sounding harmony. Also, “Machete” features an extremely heartfelt distorted solo from Buckethead. There are even tracks which are more on the darker side. “Sanctum” manages comes out of left field with its heavy and almost evil-sounding bass line and the odd guitar leads. Lastly, the opening of “Watching The Boats With My Dad” is probably one of the most beautiful riffs to be found in Buckethead’s discography.

Unfortunately, with so many positive elements found on Colma, there are a few issues. Firstly, and most importantly, you really have to be in the mood for it to really enjoy this album properly. Songs like “Ghost – Part 2” and “Wondering” can be really boring if you aren’t willing to take them in and are thinking about your Converge albums at the same time. Also, “Whitewash”, “Ghost”, “Sanctum” all open up with rather similar-sounding drum beats. Lastly, “Colma” is a bit of a dud compared to the rest of the album as it just sounds like an ambient Death Cube K b-side. The random volume bursts in the track are just annoying. This is a disappointment because it is the album closer and the title track.

To conclude, Colma isn’t exactly the album that will grab you by the throat and *** on your face with sweeping and tapping. You really just have to relax and enjoy Buckethead’s music. There are some very beautiful riffs here, and there is a variety of moods to mellow out with. The only issues with this album is that it can be extremely tedious if mellow acoustic music is not your cup of tea. While this album will only have a lasting appeal for some people, I think it’s safe to say this is his best album since Giant Robot.

OVERALL RATING: 4/5

Buckethead 3 Foot ClearanceBuckethead Empty Space
Buckethead It's AliveGlass Cloud Perfect War Forever
Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2Protest the Hero Volition
Jack Knapman (5)

B R A N D O N S C O T T (4.5)

Gortholomew Sombodom (4)
Buckethead's Colma is an acoustic change from previous efforts, dropping his metal curtain to let hi...

That was a lot easier to review than Day Of The Robot to be honest

March 7th 2010

i have had this record for years and its awesome. whitewash still stands in my top 20 buckethead songs ever made

March 7th 2010

also because i have two 2nd and 3rd comments. what what in the butt. good review man

March 7th 2010

thank you very much good sir.

March 7th 2010

thers a video on youtube of buckethead mouthing the words to odbs "i like it raw" its awesome heres the link

it was on his webste in 04 so its official

thats awesome haha

best bucket "live" video ever

March 7th 2010

out of curiousty, whats your favorite album by him?

my top 5 would be
inbred mountain
monsters and robots
bucketheadland
population override
and colma

not counting side projects and in no order of course

I'd probably be..

elephant man's alarm clock
dragons of eden
giant robot (solo album)
colma
inbred mountain

March 7th 2010

monsters and robots was my first so it holds a special place in my heart.

dragons of eden is good but i prefer travis dickersons solo album that came out in december, iconography. there similar in sound and bucket only plays on 6 tracks on it

March 7th 2010

Cool. I really like the stuff on Dragons Of Eden and Thanatopsis. I'll be sure to check it out

it took him around 6 years to make interesting

EverythingEvil2113

Glorious album.

agreed

KebertXela
March 8th 2010

This album is absolutely incredible.

It's one of those albums that I'll just throw on and pick up my acoustic and noodle along with it.

TheSpirit