Frost*
Milliontown

by Islandjam2990 USER (1 Reviews)
March 4th, 2010 | 116 replies | 8,759 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An audio wonderland that you can't possibly pass up.

It’s the middle of the night, with a full moon looming overhead. The clouds show no intentions of blocking this otherworldly scene as the moonlight plays directly off the snow, and into the fragile ice sickles hanging off the seemingly dead trees, but there you are, in the center of it all. This is the impression ones gets from the first few seconds of “Hyperventilate,” before it kicks into its seven minutes of pure blue glory.

I never expected to get nearly as hooked on this album as I did, but lo and behold… here we are. I’d received this from a friend back in 2008, but never bothered to listen all the way through up until the middle of winter in 2009. I couldn’t believe what I’d been missing out on for an entire year. From the opening instrumental that is “Hyperventilate,” the listener gets a distinct impression that this is a band with a goal, and who knows damn well how to achieve it.

Once “Hyperventilate” dies down, the straightforward rocker “No Me No You,” timidly walks into the room. Swelling into place with clips of news shows, they begin to build and build, until John Mitchell beings the opening lines of the song with a straight eight-note pulse driving behind him. The songs spins and dives between the dark verses and the lighter, somewhat epic sounding, choruses, fading out with another winter wonderland-esque piano line.

Piano-based atmosphere stays right where it is after “No Me No You,” and rolls right into “Snowman,” which lives up to its name easily. Definitely one of the best melodies off the entire record, complimented nicely by a chromatic bass line in the left hand, and toped off by an odd-sounding patch on the keys and an acoustic guitar doubling the piano melody. Almost minimalist compared to the record, but definitely one of the most powerful as well.

Then, a complete one-eighty! The groove oriented “The Other Me” scratches itself into place with some static before introducing a lonely groove brought in by the guitar, then followed up by bit-crushed drums, and then laying back into what it’s set up with the rest of the band. “The Other Me” seems to be a bit of a pre-cursor of what’s to come on “Blacklight Machine,” but definitely holds its own as a total badass.

Up next is one of my favorite tracks (There’s only six, I know, and my favorites change on a daily basis. Today it’s this one.) off the entire record, “Blacklight Machine.” There is no warning for this song at all, but instead opens up with guitar and synth constantly octavating themselves into a swirling, massive atmosphere. The drums burst into, and the song takes off into the skies, soaring higher and higher as the verse continues, until reaching cruising altitude with a guitar and synth solo, then floating there for what seems like a blissful eternity of airy vocal lines and serene orchestral like pads. Just as the song had gotten there, it comes crashing down like an atom bomb from the heavens with an almost four minute electronica-tinged, bugged-out type of jam, led by none other than Mr. Jem Godfrey himself, only to end the last ten seconds of the song with a reminder of the previous sections.

The sixth song! It’s almost over! Well, not quite… you’ve still got twenty six minutes left of snowy happiness to go, so hold on tight. This monster (and also the title track), “Milliontown,” is possibly one of my favorite “epics” that I’ve heard in quite some time. The song is split into six different movements (One Underground, Abracadaver, The Only Survivors, Core, The Chosen Few, and Two Underground). From it’s “Hyperventilate”-type of opening, through the various middle sections, which encompass literally everything from an almost rock-ish type “Snowman,” behemoth atmospheric-type sections, and even a mellotron and mid-scooped interlude, the song ends with the same intensity that the album began with, and it’s gone just as it came.

Overall, this album is a classic. The production is flat-out fantastic (if not a little mid-scooped, but nothing major), the song writing is flawless, and the instrumentation is just beautiful. Definitely worth a listen through, or maybe quite a few listens through. Enjoy!

johnny of the Well (4.5)
Modern progressive rock at its best...

March 4th 2010

Apologies for the lack of indentation... apparently it didn't go through as I'd want it to. Anyway, hopefully this helps! Enjoy!

beefshoes
March 4th 2010

I dig it bro!

Digging: Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X

March 5th 2010

so far sounds fantastic. which album is Deep Ocean on?

March 5th 2010

"Deep Ocean"? Think you've got the wrong band.

March 5th 2010

^that's where i heard it, but i was told they have an album coming out soon, it may be a new track. love that song though. i
need to listen to this album

March 6th 2010

You are correct, that's my fault for not researching it.

March 7th 2010

lol no worries dude. thanks for making me aware of these guys

kalanamak
March 8th 2010

been listening to this non-stop since i got it. thank you for posting this.

Whispered4tw
August 26th 2011

Can't believe this album went by unnoticed for 5 years. Great stuff, sounds a bit like a modernized Genesis.

Jethro42
August 26th 2011

^Yeah it sounds a lot like Genesis (specially Duke era and it's a good thing) mixed with some IQ and Peter Gabriel at some extent. Album is good but for some reasons, it doesn't speak that much to me. Need to say I'm hard to please when it comes to neo-prog.
Get some Marillion instead if you didn't already.
Dogma - Twin Sunrise is also an essential neo-prog album to any Genesis fans.

Jethro42
August 26th 2011

Re-listened to the whole thing, I have to bump it up to 3.5. This is a great neo-prog album, finally.

September 5th 2011

Jem did a mix for an artist named Christina Booth (maybe that's her on the cover of this album) and briefly had it up on
the frost* myspace page but it was taken down. the song ("Deep Oceans") was mixed completely different on the album
and then jem did another mix (also on the album but as a bonus) so neither of the ones on her cd sound like the one i
heard. luckily, after all this fuxkin searching around for it i finally found the 1st mix. check ittttttt

johnnydeking29
December 3rd 2011

This definately needs more attention; the electronic breakdown in The Other Me show they aren't afraid to try something new and Black Light Machine is pure inspiration

October 26th 2012

yea this is amazing

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

johnnydeking29
October 26th 2012

WOAH INSURRECTION DIGS AN AWESOME ALBUM!!!!
Check my review bro

20618 Comments

band needs more attention. last two tracks are pure prog bliss

7:19-7:54 of black light machine is like the best thing ever

ViperAces
October 29th 2012

Inserruction have you even heard Marillion already fuck

wtf is that