Tab & Anitek
Chasing Rabbits

by Aziz STAFF
March 4th, 2010 | 15 replies

Review Summary: Tab & Anitek blend flawlessly, cultivating a shrewd balance for the best underground Hip-Hop album of the year, and one of the best concept albums of the century.

In music, the term “concept album” often tends to inflate the expectations held for an album, and when the album delivers on those expectations, it’s typically heralded as a paragon of the genre. Kool Keith and Del the Funky Homosapien were both inducted into Hip-Hop relevance by means of their successful and smart albums: Dr. Octagonecologyst and Deltron 3030, respectfully. Armed only with a slew of simple beats, an idea, and a tongue as sharp as his proverbial member, Ultramagnetic MC Kool Keith forged his (other) identity and first masterpiece in 1996. Indeed, Dr. Octagonecologyst paved the way for underground MC Tab, with the help of Jersey Trip-Hop producer Anitek, to write the most recent entry into the diary of conceptual Hip-Hop, but Tab’s brainchild flows even deeper than any vagina Dr. Octagon may have penetrated.

The concept is loosely constructed around a metaphor comparing Tab’s past to a rabbit hole. In that a rabbit hole can be a vast and winding network, Chasing Rabbits chronicles Tab’s spiral further and further into a desolate and unrelenting oblivion. Lyrics about smoking weed “until [Tab] couldn’t breathe” and “[shaking] hands with the devil” are only two of many examples of Tab’s journey down the hole.

Lyrically, Tab is much like Wu-Tang Clan’s Raekwon, in that he’ll rarely pull out an overly witty one-liner. Instead, Tab’s prowess lies within a consistent output of solid verses atop Anitek’s strong and varied production. His delivery is seldom relaxed; lines are often layered atop one another with emphasis on the first syllable, evoking a sense of back-and-forth dueling, expounding Tab’s struggle against the life that the album presents. His lone verse on “Charades” exemplifies his flow well, and when thrown over the enticing and intertwining acoustic guitar lines, sets the perfect mood for the best song on the album.

Employing a copious repertoire of instruments, consisting of acoustic guitar, drums, and keys, Anitek’s resplendent production accompanies Tab’s murky lyricism and consummate flow with a form-mirroring suitability. Quick drums complement Tab’s aggressive “Ballad of the Man that Never Made It” on one of the faster songs on the album, while the placid piano loop of “Manipulated Living” shadows Tab’s bleak verses and the discourse between Donnie and Gretchen (of Donnie Darko) to further elucidate the metaphor central to the album.

Chasing Rabbits delivers quality at every turn; Tab’s rapping style is unique and Anitek’s immaculate production carries the album. Even the guest spots on the album are good; Shade delivers one of the best verses of the entire Chasing Rabbits on “Charades”, and although Tone Liv supplies a lackluster verse (that is in no way related to the theme of the album) on “Elmer Fudd Theory”, Anitek’s fantastic production saves the song. The duo blend flawlessly, cultivating a shrewd balance for the best underground Hip-Hop album of the year, and one of the best concept albums of the century.

Run the Jewels Run the Jewels 2Logic Under Pressure
Iceage Plowing Into the Field of LoveYour Old Droog Your Old Droog
The Roots ...And Then You Shoot Your CousinScHoolboy Q Oxymoron

March 4th 2010

It's free for download (along with the rest of their discography) at their website http://www.tabandanitek.com/ I>E> YOU HAVE NO REASON TO NOT GET IT

March 4th 2010

Good review, awesome intro. Consider me interested in this album.

March 4th 2010

Wow, this website format is f*cking retarded. Where else can I find this?

Thanks dude :D

I downloaded it from here: http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/51033

If you click "Tab" directly underneath the title, you should be able to download the other albums as well.

March 4th 2010

Aight, I'm on it. But I got a long list of downloads/listens, bro.

March 4th 2010

That's fine haha. Just trying to spread the word about these guys 'cause they really are pretty good.

Also, this album is about 35 minutes, so if you're going through your list of listens and feel like you're about to go through like 8 albums that are two hours long, this might be your way to take a break, 'cause it's pretty short.

MORE PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS STOP BEING PUSSIES

March 4th 2010

I love short albums, this is now moving up my to-do list. I hate long albums, fuck them in the ass.

WooHa
March 5th 2010

Nice review. The album is very good indeed.
I love good concept albums.

March 5th 2010

Haha I know exactly what you mean. I sent the review to them and got an e-mail from Anitek in like two hours... It was pretty cool; they both loved it and they asked me to write a review of one of their other works.

Honestly, this is what we live for. That feels really fucking good. It totally makes up for the guy who negged my other review twice like a douche 'cause he thought his shitty review was better than mine because I used the words "Mastodon" and "Post-Metal".

That was pretty much a rant but yeah whatever.

Tell me what you think once you get a chance to listen to it Bulldog. In the meantime, I'm just gonna rec this everywhere I go.

March 5th 2010

Oh hell yeah got another listener already.

Did you just get this today WooHa?

TMobotron
March 7th 2010

Awesome review I thought.

BSX

www.tabandanitek.com

TMobotron

Haha gotta like this ^

March 7th 2010

Thanks TMobotron; I thought it was my best review as well.

Hope this bump helps more people find this album, haha