Rotting Christ
Aealo

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (56 Reviews)
February 15th, 2010 | 86 replies | 18,674 views

Review Summary: Rotting Christ make a strong addition to their catalogue, continuing in the same direction as Theogonia but without matching it.

Rotting Christ has been one of those bands that have had a few standout releases amidst a sea of average to good releases throughout their 20 years as a band. Their last album, 2007’s Theogonia saw the band make their biggest standout yet using the band’s melodic black/death roots and experimenting with a variety of influences from traditional Greek music and other genres of metal. This made for a refreshing, varied listen with some true passion and staying power. On Aealo, the band tries to keep this going but only somewhat succeeds.

Upon first listen, Aealo sounds much more straightforward than the last album but upon a few listens one can start to distinguish little hidden pieces of music deeper behind the main instruments. These are often used to either add some atmosphere to the straightforward sounding songs or just as an extra layer to merge with the rest of the music on display. Although not as well put together as Theogonia, the album features some interesting little surprises hidden over its length.

The listener will find many of the high points of Theogonia have been carried on in Aealo. The album is full of varied guitar riffs that seem to take small influences from all over the place. Melodic tremolo picked leads are combined with some slightly “core” influenced chugs or coupled with a foreign sounding guitar line. Once in a while the band will add some traditional Greek instruments, such as the tsabouna in dub-sag-ta-ke, to complement the other instruments but without using it as a crutch like 99% of folk metal bands. It does quite the opposite in fact, and gives some songs a feeling of national pride that is only accentuated by the mainly Greek lyrics.

These lyrics are sung mostly using Sakis’ trademark “black metal growl”. As opposed to the usual black metal shriek, Sakis uses a medium-high pitched scream that has a much more guttural sound than the average black metal scream. He also experiments with a high pitched bark in a few songs and pulls it off pretty nicely. A few female vocals are used here and there and those that are familiar with Rotting Christ will know that they have grown good at incorporating this into their songs at the opportune moment.

Now so far it almost sounds like they might’ve released their second opus right after their first, right? Wrong. Although all the elements to accomplish this seem to be here, something is missing. It is always noticeable but it is not clear at first what it is. The album lacks the passion that was found in Theogonia. Not to say that it is absent, that it definitely is not, but the album does feature a handful of moments that feel tired and uninspired. Some of the chugging riffs in Eon Aenanos sound like they were thrown in there just to connect the better ideas that are featured in it. Also, in a handful of areas, Sakis sounds tired whereas in Theogonia he continually gave off a sense of power and pride with a touch of evil.

So although Aealo does not quite match the band’s last effort, it is a strong album in its own right. It delivers an enjoyable 50 minutes of melodic blackened death metal that keeps its value over repeated listens. Not their best, not their worse, just another enjoyable addition to the catalogue.

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void

February 15th 2010

Re-added the album to fix the error in the title but of course the image didnt work....

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

February 15th 2010

Album isnt even appearing in the edit my reviews/edit my albums section on my profile :S

Metalstyles
February 15th 2010

good review man. I'm going to call off downloads for about 2-3 weeks now, starting tomorrow, but I might take this on board as the last passenger. Pos

February 15th 2010

If you're gonna look into this band get Theogonia before this ( i thought my review wouldve made that much clear haha)

Metalstyles
February 15th 2010

aight, but I'm still calling off all downloads, so I guess I'll take Theogonia and leave this album for another time

February 15th 2010

Theogonia is almost like a better version of this.So if you really like theogonia then you should look into this when you start getting music again

jingledeath
February 15th 2010

don't know what to think of this yet, wasn't very impressed on first listen. will give it a few more goes later.

February 15th 2010

I was disapointed at first, then it grew on me. I give it a 4 personally but objectively it prob more like a 3.5 like in the review

sokinikos
February 15th 2010

Nice review but personally i think they deserve at least a 4.Nowadays it's hard to do 2 classic albums(theogonia is one) in 3 years but i think R.C came very close to that. It's definitly an album that grows listen after listen. Check out also "Triarchy of the lost lovers", "Non Serviam" , "A dead poem" and "Thy mighty contract"

February 15th 2010

Ive heard this, theogonia (which i have as a 4.5), sanctus diavolos and thy mighty contract. Ive been meaning to look more into their back catalogue

February 15th 2010

There was already a page for this you douche. Doesnt matter if it was mispelled at least it had the artwork and everything else important on there.

Good review.

February 15th 2010

I tried aing the artwork when i created the new page but for some reason it failed and now i cant access it in the edit my reviews/albums section.

Wizard

19240 Comments

Really enjoyable read. I'm going on out on a limb with this one, going to pick it up even though I wasn't a fan of some of their earlier albums.

Digging: Cloak of Altering - Plague Beasts

February 15th 2010

If you haven't heard theogonia i'd say go with that one first. It's similar to this but better

Dryden
February 15th 2010

Probably wont check this out, but I might if i have nothing to do. Either way, good review

Zoo
February 15th 2010

good review man, band sucks though and so does this probably

February 15th 2010

Someone really needs to fix the cover. Ive tried but the album doesnt appear in the edit my review section and i dont know why the hell not

Ulsufyring

oh you idiot i could have told you that, users can't add album art

Wizard

19240 Comments

Is it the right size Jpeg? Checking out samples from theogonia and it's alright I guess.

oh you idiot i could have told you that, users can't add album art

Then how can I?

grahamg0re
February 15th 2010

i'm not sure what to think of this yet. the title track is awesome. the breakdown in the second track was kinda awkward, i dunno. i'll have check it out more