Viro the Virus
The Sharpest Blade

good

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
February 13th, 2010 | 8 replies | 3,335 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Technically, I jizzed. Literally, I sighed.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. I just shake my head at mainstream rap. Such good beats are unjustifiably handed out to incompetent rappers who implement themselves as parasites upon them. But an inverted, carnal converse is applicable to indie rappers as well, who just ride themselves. Viro the Virus is a prime example of a lyrical specialist that exalts himself and bathes in the magnitude of his own self-proprietated ego. And although he can lyrically justify his arrogance the majority of the time, his delivering ability isn’t one of his strong suits.

As with most underground rappers, the might of Viro lies within the power of his pad and pen. His lyrical abilities far surpass anything he does (“My victories are pilin’ up like it’s tetris,”) because he’s not very good in terms of actual rapping abilities. His flow is kind of awkward at times, and is totally contradicting to his cocky voice and delivery, (think, Charles Hamilton.)

His beats may be the worst part, however. As with most underground, lyrical rap albums, the instrumentals are SUPPOSED to be low key and serve as a nice setting to which the lyrics can perform the play. But, on The Sharpest Blade the beats are distracting, predictable, and painfully basic. “Rhymes, Cuts, Bass, Drums” is monotonous and annoying with its warbling, ascending synth loop and periodic horn blasts. As is “Push it Back” with its hollow tribal drums, and random “oh!’s” that lead into strobe light-fast maracas during the chorus. And “Going Back to Jersey” is just a poor, low key, jazz version of A Milli, with its wood-tap percussion, gentle horn cooing and ghastly background moaning.

The worst part is, Viro isn’t even that great lyrically. Other than the occasional great line, he makes just-good punchlines, and at times, totally bland ones. He invests all of his chips into one thing, but that thing happens to be qualitatively intermediate, and he can’t spruce this album up with any of the surrounding elements. He can only propel this album to a certain height before gravity kicks in and sends it crashing to the ground.

While this is definitely something for people who enjoy music they find to be of good quality after analyzing its technicalities, it’s not that enjoyable to just LISTEN to. In principle, it’s very good, even great, but it fails to garner any sort of response from me, emotional or otherwise. Riding one roller coaster, no matter how good it is, can get old after awhile, and the Virus can’t really retain my attention for 1.1 hours.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

February 13th 2010

i just had to write a review. i can't stand not writing a review once every two days. it got to me. back to my old habits.

Romulus
February 13th 2010

Summary is awesome, I pos'd.

(“[i]My victories are pilin’ up like it’s tetris,”)

Just tidy that up and you're set.

AggravatedYeti
February 13th 2010

1.1hours is 65 minutes!! D: Damn you iTunes!

good review as well.

Thanks guys.

and the italic font mess up = fixed.

$12.50 is probably my favorite track on here.

kingsoby1
February 13th 2010

very wordy. your grammar is improving though

February 13th 2010

thanks kingsoby1. i'm trying to do a better job of writing then re-writing, proofing, and using a broader vocabulary.

kingsoby1
February 13th 2010

That's all good, but make sure not to use too many words to say something. For example:

This is the sentence that was indicated as having been false or untrue.

instead you shouldn't be wordy:

This sentence is false.

That's all "wordy" means... ie, some of the sentences are awkward in that you could simplify them.

February 13th 2010

Ah I see. So, basically - K.I.S.S.