We Made God
As We Sleep

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2010 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: pretentious, outlandish, boring, monotone, BUT promising...

We Made God is a somewhat boring new Post Metal band from Iceland. Their influences are labeled from Sigur Ros (which may lead to why I think they’re boring) all the way to Deftones; more so the ambiance of the former mixed with the heavy handedness of the latter. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t which is where the drab comes in. For the most part, it all runs together, using the same tricks and whatnot with each track. The first two songs are hardly distinguishable, each with soaring background vocals presenting a moan that feels never ending – It creates a chore for the listener. It was a nice surprise to hear the inclusion of vocals to what I thought would be pure instrumentals, but what didn’t help was the whiny nature brought on. Bathwater, aside from its terrible name, introduces a beautiful post-punk riff and segues into some cataclysmic screams which are truly hit and miss. I very well understand the atmosphere this band was reaching for but it’s almost completely subdued thanks to the questionable productivity which hinders the effect each instrument brings. Right after the one minute mark they all kick in for what should be a beautiful crescendo, but instead it’s reduced to a monotone lead.

This is of course is a reoccurring problem, Sub Rosa has some excellent double bass work coupled with a solo, but the claustrophobia feeling hinders anything from exploding into a phenomenal section. The bass, though, will receive honorable mention for its interplay all throughout the track, it spikes random moments and shows the promise that underlies this EP. Much like City of Ships every track does little to distance itself from each other. Deir Yassin might as well be the first three tracks with its typical intro of crooning vocals centered around a shallow riff and softly reverberated cymbals. Meh, I usually don’t fault bands for sticking with a formula that at time works, but employing the same mechanics throughout each song is rather tiresome.

They end with their sixteen minute epic (a hidden track on an EP? I guess…) which is hardly anything to jump for joy about. Being the only track that doesn’t enter with the same concept as explained earlier, it’s unfortunate that when the vocals do kick in they’re horrendously attributed and it’s a turn off from the get-go. It incorporates some bells (literally) and whistles and is a nice detour from the expected, but the true gem here comes in 9:30 later. An all instrumental piece that’s heavy hitting and relentlessly beautiful, it’s here you’ll hear the promise of the band. A roller coaster ride of pace coupled with that Icelandic aura, the band put an exclamation point on what felt like coming ellipses.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola

19029 Comments

off to watch the Australian Open.
Check out this and Spitfire people.

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

January 23rd 2010

From a couple songs, this band sounded awesome. Will pursue tomorrow.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

TheSpirit
January 23rd 2010

Band is awesome, you crazy son

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

Ghostechoes

Band sucks.

TheSpirit
January 24th 2010

Band is awesome neg neg neg neg.

Seriously though, good review. Pos'd.

Romulus
January 24th 2010

Pretty sure the first comma is unnecessary, but otherwise nice review. Have a pos.

19029 Comments

you're right it is unnecessary, my fault.
still someone neg'd, ugh.

Emim
January 24th 2010

They probably only negged for the dig at Sigur Ros.

19029 Comments

it was a subtle cheap shot.

January 24th 2010

Not very subtle at all. If the first sentence didnt make me want to stop reading it was the second one that clinched it.

Emim
January 25th 2010

Sigur Ros does bore me at times. Gotta be in the moood.

January 25th 2010

19029 Comments

i dunno. i don't see how that would be offensive, its an opinion and my opinion is that its boring, it should in no way discourage the reader for they should have their own opinion on the matter.

January 27th 2010

19029 Comments

yes, but this is sputnik. people should know its not meant to be offensive but more of a "Hey, this may be why i thought they were boring, because i think their influences are too!"