Anagnorisis
Overton Trees

by Brandon Scott USER (101 Reviews)
January 19th, 2010 | 19 replies | 6,130 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

While many fans of the extreme metal genre have to come to recognize Austin Lunn as the leading light of black metal titan Panopticon, there remains a certain mysterious air surrounding the Kentucky-based native in regards to his prior endeavors. While he will always be known for Panopticon first and foremost, Mr.Lunn was also involved at one point in time, with blackened progressive death metal band Anagnorisis. Formed in 2003, Anagnorisis released their 2007 debut album Overton Trees a clear display of the groups own unique brand of blackened death metal that leaves even some of the most successful purveyors of the genre, left staring in the dust.

Sonically, Anagnorisis combines more the progressively influenced death metal genre with the bleak, unrelenting black metal genre. Take for instance opening song "Birth of the Pariah", which starts in true black metal fashion, with blast-beats and cold, atmospheric tremolo picked guitar. Soon however, the song is filled with chugging death metal riffs, and deep pinch harmonics. "Virulence" is also a good example of this combination, containing both melancholic atmospheric background keyboards, as well as some death metal styled harmonized octave chords. Partially in what makes Overton Trees a great album is how the band will sometimes creatively layer black metal parts under or over death metal parts so both are playing at once. One such example would be final track "To Sleep" which cleverly places a death metal lead, over dissonant black metal chords. Despite its many fierce moments however, Overton Trees does feature it's own fair share of melody. Songs like title track "Overton Trees" or "The Weakness" contain beautiful harmonies, weaving in and out amongst the chaos.

To say each member of Anagnorisis is technically adept would be a huge understatement; every instrumentalists displays a high level of musicianship that would easily fit in the with most complex of bands. Lead singer Austin Lunn displays throughout the album a guttural death metal type approach to his vocals, very much akin to the vocal style of Opeth main man Mikael Akerfeldt. Also, on tracks the tracks "Overton Trees" and "The Weakness", Mr. Lunn shows off his superb clean vocals, which also seem quite influenced by Mikael Ã…kerfeldt. On the guitar front, Lunn and bandmate Zak Denham absolutely shred, with plenty of moments on the album showing scorching solos and technical riffs. Drummer, Adam Pierce goes all out on this album, with warp speed blast beats playing some sections, along with some great, progressive influenced drumming. Keyboardist Samuel Hartman provides the record with atmosphere, greatly enhancing many of the songs with his subtle, yet effective playing.

Although Lunn has since left Anagnorisis, Overton Tree remains a fantastic release not only due to his contributions, but contributions from each sole member of the group. With this great release Anagnorisis has plenty to build upon, and even with the departure of a founding member, Overton Trees proves that the band still has a bright future ahead of them.

Black Beasts IIAzarath Blasphemers' Maledictions
Doth Datura WrightiiCara Neir Sublimation Therapy
Asphyx The RackOf Mice & Men The Flood

January 19th 2010

Really great release. I had some mental blocks with this review, but i still think it turned out pretty good, hope everyone enjoys!

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

jingledeath
January 19th 2010

Great review man, will definitely look into this.

Dryden

sweet

Zoo
January 19th 2010

I prefer their ep to this but it's still pretty solid. Another sick review as well.

Hyperion1001
January 19th 2010

Great album. Great review as well. This is what Opeth would sound like if they didn't suck.

Digging: Steve Moore - Zero-Point Field

Thanks all!

GnarlyShillelagh

Nice review.

I'm not much of a Black metal guy, but I love Opeth... should I still check this out?

Crysis
January 19th 2010

Well guess where I'm gonna go get this album

Digging: Katatonia - Kocytean

January 19th 2010

@GnarlyShillelagh- Yes, if you're an Opeth fan, this is definitely for you.

@Crysis- i have no idea haha

rasputin

this isn't anywhere near as good as panopticon

Wizard

every instrumentalists displays

Reads funny.

Nice review. Certainly going to get this.

this isn't anywhere near as good as panopticon

Now I'm confused. rasputin, grace me with your wisdom.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Zoo
January 19th 2010

I would agree that Panopticon is a better project, albeit a bit different.

January 19th 2010

Yeah, they are really two completely different beasts tbh.

Wizard

Awaiting the rasp....

rasputin
January 19th 2010

yeah they're not comparable musically, but this isn't actually that good, that's the point i was making. it has some nice ideas but for the most part it was insubstantial. that's just me though, you might like it Karl.

jingledeath
January 22nd 2010

This is pretty good. 3.5 for now but I might bump the rating if it grows on me.

April 19th 2011

I still enjoy this album more than I should.

December 8th 2011

still great

Hawks
December 13th 2011

Yeah this is really good. Got it after you played a few songs in turntable last night Brandon.