RJD2
The Colossus

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
January 17th, 2010 | 28 replies | 13,096 views

Review Summary: Poppy future-funk at its best.

Initially billed as an innovator in the vein of Dan the Automator on Deadringer, Ramble John Krohn surprised critics, fans, and label Def Jux alike with the 180 degree turn of The Third Hand. Not only a different direction for his art, but also a significant compositional step backwards, this release divided his fan-base and scuttled any hype from his cult favorite debut. With this in mind, it seems that RJD2 is working hard to make amends with his 4th official LP; not only is this poppy future-funk at its best, but The Colossus is proof that this new artistic direction does indeed have potential.

Still exhibiting the organic traits inherent on the near-OCD live instrumentation obsession of Third Hand, this time around RJD2 infuses his seemingly departed production expertise to superb results. Whether it's the sub-orbital, volume- and tone- swelling synths of the epic "A Spaceship For Now" or the reverb-laden harmonic minor choruses of "Let There Be Horns", he delivers his trademarked brand of 21st century hip-hop in spades. After proving his talents for production still exist, Krohn still finds time to creatively indulge in the simplistic pop of his last effort, yet this time with more variation and top-notch guest appearances in Kenna, Phonte, and Aaron Livingston. "A Son's Cycle" whets one's appetite for the possibilities of a non-instrumental hip-hop joint with 3 distinctive, multi-layered beats weaving in and out of each other brilliantly. This one definitely hearkens back to Deadringer's "Final Frontier", especially on the tongue of wordsmith Illogic.

The multi-genre approach of The Colossus is refreshing, especially following such a poor career move. That isn't to say The Third Hand wasn't very good - when you're considered by many to be one of the best up and coming production gurus, you damned well better deliver something that at least uses your renowned abilities and not some kind of mid-life crisis organic "experiment". The best summary for the entire record is a combination of back to back tracks "The Stranger" and "Walk With Me", showcasing a logical extension of Deadringer highlight "The Horror" and an expansion of his newfound poppy direction, respectively. But even though The Colossus shines in this coexistence, it's difficult to imagine where RJD2 would be today had he expanded his revolutionary vision at the beginning of the decade.

Highlights:

James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf
2.9
good
Smevin Bravis (3.5)
The Colossus may not be as grandoise as was intended, but it does show an artist gaining momentum in...

January 17th 2010

Stream is up at his myspace:

enjoy

hydeyomoney

RJD2 is good again? cool

January 17th 2010

yeah i thought it would suck based on his EP from a month or so ago. not the case.

natey

i'm not big on harmonic minor choruses, might pass on this

Fuff24
January 17th 2010

hope this good. the third hand was a steamy pile of shit

i'm not big on harmonic minor choruses, might pass on this

what. its not like theyre on more than 1 or 2 songs...

Kyle
January 17th 2010

This is the first positive review I've read of this. I'm going to check it out eventually, I liked the single, but there's too much other stuff I need to listen to first.

January 17th 2010

I haven't really seen any reviews for this. and don't pay attention to ratings on RYM, most people there are mega snobs when it comes to contemporary music.

alachlahol

never listened to The Third Hand

this guy throws out great beats

Transient

only rjd2 i've heard is deadringer, so i'll probably pick this up

January 17th 2010

this takes a lot of the concepts off deadringer and makes them a bit funkier/ more accessible. it's basically what third hand should have been.

thebhoy
January 17th 2010

cool, I'll listen to this.

AliW1993
January 17th 2010

good review, i didnt particually like this though.

natey
January 17th 2010

what. its not like theyre on more than 1 or 2 songs...

i was just poking fun at you

Enotron
January 17th 2010

Does this mean poppy future funk will only ever amount to a 3.5? Because that's the coolest genre name I've ever heard. Nice review.

January 17th 2010

dont poke at me im fragile

Inveigh
January 17th 2010

Nice review. I was pretty high on RJD2 from Soul Position (although I have to be in the right mood fro Blueprint) and Magnificent City but yeah, The Third Hand sucked balls. I'll check this out later on tonight on the myspace.

MassiveAttack
January 17th 2010

You didn't like his EP from last month? It wasn't bad 3/5 for me.

Bulldog
January 20th 2010

Good review, checking this out right now, so far so good. Let There Be Horns is cool.

Zoo
January 20th 2010

This sounds like it might be disappointing. Nevertheless, I'll get around to it at some point.