Raekwon
Coke Up In Da Dollar Bill

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
January 2nd, 2010 | 26 replies | 9,518 views

Review Summary: Coke Up In Da Dollar Bill sets expectations for hip-hop in 2010.

His debut Only Built for Cuban Linx, was a blessing as well as a curse. A classic in many circles, OB4CL went gold, but also set the standard for which the rest of Rae’s discography would be subjected to. After releasing two albums following OB4CL that were considered to be disappointing, Raekwon released the much-hyped sequel, and it received rave reviews from the masses. But that was 2009, and with a new decade comes a new release, a New Year’s day present, Coke Up In Da Dollar Bill is a contrast of light and dark - of the luxurious life of a celebrity and of the trying times of an esteemed Chef, and as any good chef would know, anything worth something is more than its individual parts. Coke Up In Da Dollar Bill is a perfect example of this. Dark Mafioso rap is assisted by light bravado rap – which would normally be considered filler – and the result is the tale of a cartel kingpin delivered by Raekwon.

The dark parts of the album are comprised of dreary beats made one way or another (whether it be the melancholy piano sample and twinkly synths of “The Set Up” or the rapid bloop synths and the occasional violent guitar strum of “Heat Rocks”); soulful brooding (or aggressive rapping); and tales of shooting, drug deals, and setups (“…the door opened, three niggas walked in…”). Conversely, the light side is made of upbeat, elevated instrumentals (take your pick of the female soul singer sample and siren synths of “Happy New Year” or the White Lines sample of the title track); uptempo flows, and indulging boasts (“The strawberry joint with tha glass of hen-…”).

The scarcity of punchlines and mixtape idiocies (DJ Scream’s shoutouts, DJ Whoo Kid’s played-out gun sounds and rewinding) is compensated by the storytelling and imagery. Raekwon is able to portray his image as that of a successful drug lord in such a short time, which is enough to propel this album to greatness. Coke Up In Da Dollar Bill may not end up being the greatest album or mixtape of the decade, or even the year, but it sure sets the pace for 2010, much like OB4CL did his career.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
2.9
good

hydeyomoney
January 2nd 2010

good review, mixtape rules.

January 2nd 2010

Really liking the shortness (30-ish minutes) of this and just the feel of it. Link is as follows... http://www.datpiff.com/DJ_Whoo_Kid_DJ_Scream_Raekwon_Coke_Up_In_Da_Dol.m88415.html[/L]

kingsoby1
January 2nd 2010

good job. i dont normally listen to mixtapes, but i'll DL it.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

January 2nd 2010

Thanks for the compliment and the help. I prefer mixtapes over albums for some reason.

January 2nd 2010

yea, it's like this occasional ripping strum of a guitar.

January 2nd 2010

Nevermind, I changed it. I know little of musical terms.

TheEnforcer
January 3rd 2010

This should have been a sound off. Basically the review feels half baked. neg'd

January 3rd 2010

Really now? A staff reviewer tells me it's good but you don't think it's good? C'mon dude. smh

TheEnforcer
January 3rd 2010

Sorry dude it just seems like you left half of the review off, or are you adding to it in which case I may change my opinion.

January 3rd 2010

First you said it feels "half baked" now you say it "seems like i left half of the review off". Which is it?

Romulus
January 3rd 2010

Pos'd, it's short sweet and to the point. I will be checking this out.

Thanks,

Regulator
January 8th 2010

best album name and cover of '10 so far

January 9th 2010

i agree the cover is great.

qwe3
February 4th 2010

TheEnforcer is basically an idiot

Mordecai.
February 4th 2010

I snort my coke through those crazy flavoured straws you used to get at Mcdonalds.

lol Mordecai.

whatsup qwe3?!

TMobotron
February 12th 2010

You know so many times today I pick up an album after I've heard so many opinions about it that I wonder if I really construct my own or just come in with an expectation and come out with the same thing. Loved OBFCL2, I think im gonna pick this up and be rating number 5 on here. Good review, I probably would have preferred if it was longer, but it's definitely not necessary and definitely not worth a neg. Plus what is here was really good. Pos.

Digging: Strict Face - Fountains/Highbury Skyline

Inveigh
November 29th 2010

why are so many people hating on this with their ratings? best mixtape I've heard all year, though that number is admittedly small...

still, this is pretty badass -- a very high 3.5 (almost 4'd this bitch)

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis