Twista
Adrenaline Rush

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 29th, 2009 | 23 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mob rap on PCP.

Every rap region has its signature style. The west coast has its gangstas, the east coast their lyricists, the south its banging productions, and the often unloved Midwest has carved its niche for possessing Gatling gun MCs. Rapid firing rappers often find themselves home in the heartland of America. Since the 90’s Midwest rappers like Tech N9ne, Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony, and Rebel XD have made their names for spitting lightning fast rhymes. Arguably the King of Fast Rap, Twista is recognized widely for making hit singles like Wetter (Calling You Daddy) and Slow Jamz, and less known for being able to pronounce 11.2 syllables per second. Twista had been posted up in the rap game since 1992, but Adrenaline Rush was his first full length LP. Despite little to no airplay outside the region, it went gold.

Twista being Twista, what comes into question on this album is not his MCing ability, but the surrounding parts which encompass it. The production on the album is stout – splitting between energized G-funk beats (Nuthin’ But a G Thang is sampled on Mobster’s Anthem) and shadowy piano sample based beats – and serves as a nice, enjoyable backdrop to Twista’s mic-shredding abilities. But, Twista somewhat falters in the lyrical department. At its apex, his mobster lifestyle musings only culminate in above average decency (“Leave you swimming in blood like sea creatures”) leaving something to be desired. The occasional ode-to-sex song doesn’t help either, but they’re hardly boring because of Twista’s ace rapping ability.

The three sex songs and average lyrics can’t detriment this album as much as they would any other rap album. And the (actually) good ongoing skit and interesting interlude are indicative of an album that can’t hardly go wrong. Adrenaline Rush is packed to the brim with speed, awesome production, and Mafioso lyrics sure to interest any rap fan and Twista shows why he was the first to sign with Loud Records, the same label that the Wu-Tang Clan was on. A near classic, only to slightly fall short of the ever-eluding title as a result of some minimal filler and only-decent lyrics.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

December 29th 2009

Really really really liking this album.

hydeyomoney
December 29th 2009

like this review, might check this out now as soon as i can.

Relinquished
December 29th 2009

this guy is ridiculously fast

combustion07
December 29th 2009

I found this cd in a parking lot at a record store a few years back, I remember playing it alot, I forgot about it, it seems like I should pop it in again

December 29th 2009

yea he is. Rebel XD holds the record though.

December 29th 2009

And yea you should, it's awesome.

Tits McGee

never liked twista

what?! ^

MUNGOLOID
December 29th 2009

obviously twista's best album.

December 29th 2009

I like Twista. I mean, he's not my favorite rapper, but he's good.

December 29th 2009

Im with Ruins on this one, tho I guess I could be convinced to give it a shot. but no promises

December 29th 2009

You should check it out.

December 29th 2009

This will show you what Twista is capable of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKeVKwyIn1I

December 29th 2009

capable of being bad and still making poor production choices. that song was honestly lame as hell dude.

maybe its just not for me *shrugs*

December 29th 2009

Hm. The flow is really good, and I like that old school production.

December 29th 2009

his flow is annoying imo, I dunno, just cause you can spit fast doesn't mean you have shit to say, further more that people can understand what you are saying.

but that's really always been my main issue with Twista.

December 29th 2009

Hm. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

somberlain
December 29th 2009

Good review, never was really into this guy's stuff though

bears
December 29th 2009

"The three sex songs and average lyrics can’t detriment this album as much as they would any other rap album."

I dunno about that sentence...

BigHans