Three 6 Mafia
Chapter 1: The End

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 26th, 2009 | 48 replies | 9,950 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The End is Mystic Stylez 2, except with slightly better production and emcee -- AWW Gangsta Boo. Who the hell let you in here?

Their debut Mystic Stylez was a regional, underground success. The follow up to it, The End, was also a success, but wasn’t the Epic god of an album that its predecessor was. The funeral, death walk instrumentals complimented by the occasional atmospheric smoke beat; the at-their-darkest-Satanic/at-their-softest-gangsta lyrics; the killer MCing that Mystic Stylez had, it’s all there, even the MCing and production on The End were BETTER than Mystic Stylez. But despite this, Three 6 Mafia’s sophomore album fails to be better than its freshman effort, mostly because of a more prevalent, more annoying Gangsta Boo determined to detriment the album and compromise the entire work.

Comprised of Koopsta Knicca, Lord Infamous, DJ Paul, and Juicy J – with occasional help from other serviceable Prophet MC’s – Three 6 Mafia, as a unit, was possibly the best group in terms of the MCing. The incredibly intricate and fast flows of Koop and Lord served as perfect compliment to the steady rapping of Juice and Paul. Combine that with their meshing of voices as a group, and you get a monstrous MCing unit. Throw in their one-two production punch of eerie graveyard beats with creeping synths; sinister keyboardwork; and hard bass assisted by airy, synth, marijuana ecstasy tracks complimented by bluntly gangsta, at times unapologetically demonic lyrics to compliment, you have a promising horrorcore classic. The entirely believable act put on by Triple Six and the Hypnotize camp is devilishly good, until Gangsta Boo tarnishes it. Although a good rapper, Gangsta Boo takes every verse as a chance to CONVINCE us that she kills people and that she’s “the devil’s daughter.” Which takes away from every song she appears on, significantly damaging the likability of The End.

Despite her obvious attempt to ruin this album, Gangsta Boo cannot destroy this spectacular horrorcore album, chockfull of demonic musings, ghastly productions, and top-shelf MCing. The End is a refreshing break from your everyday rapper and a testament to Three 6 Mafia as the Kings of Memphis, Kings of the Underground, and Kings of Horrorcore.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

December 27th 2009

Triple Six doesn't get enough respect around Sputnik, imo.

December 27th 2009

They definitely don't, which is such a shame, because they're one of the best rap groups ever IMO, and their early stuff could even appeal to the "lyrics-first" people.

I'm actually a fan of Gangsta Boo, unlike a lot of people. Good review though.

December 27th 2009

In terms of MCing, Gangsta Boo is - I hate to admit it - pretty good. Great flow, kinda annoying voice. But, I gained a disdain for her when, on the Bone diss she was talking about killing Bone Thugz N Harmony members. I was like "umm, they'd rape you." Up until that point, I liked Gangsta Boo.

poweroftheweez
December 27th 2009

ive been meaning to get into these guys. where should i start?

December 27th 2009

Definitely with Mystic Stylez. And you should probably avoid Last 2 Walk.

Hawks
December 27th 2009

Never heard this album. I love Mystic Stylez though.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

December 27th 2009

hm, i think i'd recommend either this or When da Smoke Clears as an introduction to Three 6....mystic stylez is dope as fuck, but isn't as accessible.

on a side note, listening to Project Pat right now...dude is so underrated. i might add him to the list of reviews i need to write.

19344 Comments

What's the album by these guys where they have the lyric that goes:

'She be slobbin' and bobbin' while she givin' me knogging'

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

December 27th 2009

Next to Most Known Unknown, When the Smoke Clears is their best selling album, but Most Known Unknown doesn't have Koop or Scarecrow (Lord Infamous) on it. And I.M.O. Koopsta and Lord are the best rappers in Triple Six Mafia, some of my favorite MC's ever.

December 27th 2009

And @illmitch, if you haven't checked it out yet, Project Pat sounds his best on the mixtape "Cut Throat"

19344 Comments

Hey, huge Three 6 Mafia fanboy, what album is that lyric off of?

wizard, i googled the lyrics and they're actually from Scarface - In and Out

you may be thinking of the song "Slob on My Knob"

EyesWideShut
December 27th 2009

all 3-6 from Mystic, The End and my fav World Domination is great. Alot of people judge 3-6 on the shit they put out today.

For Project Pat cant get any better than Ghetty Green and Murders and Robbers.

December 27th 2009

Yea, the Three 6 lyrics are similar, but not quite what you're thinking of. You're thinking of "Slob on my knob, like corn on the cob/Check in with me, then do ya job"

Hawks
December 27th 2009

Yeah Wiz you're definitely thinking of Slob On My Knob.

wizard, i googled the lyrics and they're actually from Scarface - In and Out

you may be thinking of the song "Slob on My Knob"

Well aren't I just retarded then? hahahahah

Thanks illmitch, Bulldog, and Hawks. "Slob on my Knob" contains some of the funniest lyrics and I believe these guys have some funny lyrics as well, probably why I confused the two of them.

December 27th 2009

@wizard - No you aren't, I haven't listened to alot of rap classics, I used to only listen to single tracks up until I joined Sputnik. I'm catching up.

December 27th 2009

If anything I'M the retard.

May 3rd 2010

Such a good album. Really digging this atm.