Busted
A Present For Everyone

by DhA USER (19 Reviews)
December 26th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Whilst there is a very real talent on show here, over emphasis on the singles, over long play time and poor play order really hinder the enjoyment of this effort.

This is UK power pop phenomenon Busted's second and final studio album, and whilst rarely overcoming much of their initial criticism, they managed to record an album that did improve on efforts such as "What I Go To School For" and "Year 3000", and they should be commended for that.

The album is still fairly biased quality-wise towards the singles, with tracks such as "Air Hostess" and "Who's David" being the best songs on the album, the fun, energetic and lyrically lightweight slices of pop rock acting like aural bubblegum - it's not, despite what some people may claim, outright bad, merely shallow, but definitely fun.

The main real criticism that can be made is the sometimes melodramatic lyrical delivery, such as that of Charlie Simpson album track "Over Now" - perhaps they should be commended for at least trying to appear somewhat deep and emotional, but this is their weakness and it clearly shows. In any case, that track is to all extents a second-rate "3AM", another massive single of the album, a slow, ponderous anthem that will get you singing along whether you like it or not.

The production on this album is, as you would expect, very "glossy", and although this works in the isolation of the singles, after a whole album it feels very monotonous and dreary, which is a shame because the band, in particular James Bourne seem to have a talent of writing very strong pop songs (as he has shown by going on to write hits for the likes of The Saturdays and "Busted 2" McFly) but at 15 tracks long the lack of variety in this regard shows up badly. This is the main problem with the album - whilst the singles are undeniably catchy and extremely fun, the album tracks tend to get lost in the shuffle - and the track order doesn't help, with all four singles appearing within the first five tracks. Whilst there is a very real talent on show here, over emphasis on the singles, over long play time and poor play order really hinder the enjoyment of this effort.

Tyler the Creator BastardKanye West The College Dropout
Brand New DaisyGorillaz Plastic Beach
Britney Spears The Singles CollectionGirls Aloud The Sound of Girls Aloud
2.8
good
Mister Mop (1)

cirq
December 26th 2009

lol these guys... didnt they have that one song like "i asked her to go to the disco...but she said no!"??

Knott-
December 26th 2009

These guys don't offend me, but they never make me really interested EXCEPT 3AM which I genuinely fucking love. Like, love.

SmurkinGherkin

Titan50

WEEEEEE APOOOOOLOGIIIIIIISE FOR NOOOOTHING

Phantom
December 27th 2009

and i'm glad i crashed the wedding

Lucid
December 27th 2009

This was one of the first albums I ever bought. I think I'll go find it for the sake of nostalgia.

Jemidu06

5 based on the cover

Lucid

and strikey i just listened to 3am and it's actually good wtf

Mr. Lizard
December 27th 2009

It's what i go to sputnik for

Mr. Lizard

3am is actually quite good but,
"And now you´re driving in your car
But you won´t get far
Cos´ your car is shit" Seriously?

Pigmi
December 27th 2009

I messed my pants, when we flew over france!

cirq

Shut up

sspedding

3am ftw

Knott-
December 30th 2009

ive had that song on my ipod since i got it :D

Electric City

they do What I Go To School for, right? catchy stuff lol

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

TommyD
March 4th 2013

Pretty much like and listen to all songs on this album but These are my fave off this album with Last Summer as a bonus , Can relate to these in everyway.
Air Hostess
Nerdy

Digging: Son of Dork - Welcome to Loserville

DatsNotDaMetulz
April 1st 2014

I get the feeling Charlie Simpson had the biggest hand in writing 3AM as it's one of their more serious and somewhat heavier (? by pop rock standards anyway) songs, and by this point he was already gearing up to get Fightstar up and running. Another example is the track "Why" which was purely written by him and his brother. Still it was becoming clear this wasn't what he wanted to do and his reputation has improved tenfold with Fightstar so not all bad. Now the other two are just cashing in on the McBusted tour by essentially joining up as extra members of McFly and covering old songs. Whether or not they'll actually come back as just "Busted" without Simpson (we all know he's not coming back) remains to be seen.