Testament
Practice What You Preach

by Edmund Blackadder USER (32 Reviews)
December 23rd, 2009 | 34 replies | 4,239 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An accessible thrash record that helped Testament become the metal giants they are today.

Testament
Atlantic Records, 1989

The 80s, as you most likely know, was the pinnacle of thrash metal. Bands such as Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth dominated the metal scene and created their own brand of fast, heavy music. Albums such as the formidable Master Of Puppets and the furious Reign In Blood took metal to new levels and showed the world how fast and aggressive music could be. Alongside the 'big four' of thrash stood Testament , a band known for their occult themes and speedy riffs. Following the minor success of the band's sophomore album The New Order , Testament decided to abandon their fantasy lyrics, replacing them with much more political and social themes that were very prevalent in the rapidly changing world.

Album opener Practice What You Preach could be considered to be one of the bands defining songs. Starting with interesting guitar-bass interplay, the intro escalates into a powerful, driving riff. When the vocals enter with Chuck Billy's recognizable snarl, the listener is immediately introduced to the new, more political lyrics of Testament. The song is capped off with a very long, technical solo, which displays the talent of lead guitarist Alex Skolnik very well. Overall, Practice What You Preach is easily the album's defining moment.

Despite peaking with it's opener, the overall quality of the album never really wavers. Almost every song delivers with catchy riffs and vocals, as well as some blistering solos. Although the repetitive formula eventually begins to drag the album down, the overall talent of the band members helps keep the album above water. Unfortunately, by the time the listener reaches the rather repetitive Greenhouse Effect the initial impression set by the opener has begun to wear off, which somewhat detracts from the rather weak Sins Of Omission . Luckily the thrash assault is broken up by the appropriately titled The Ballad . Featuring a complicated acoustic intro similar to Battery or Cemetary Gates the song eventually builds up into a powerful, thrashing anthem. While the album should have ended on this powerful note, the band decided to add in two songs, the short, punky Nightmare , and the instrumental Confusion Fusion . While they may come across as great pieces of metal, they pale in comparison after following The Ballad .

Overall, Practice What You Preach is an excellent thrash album, although nowhere near a classic. A casual listener will find that many of the songs here stand better alone than together, as the overall repetitiveness may detract from the listening experience. Nonetheless, this solid album is a catchy and accessible piece of thrash, and is highly recommended for anyone trying to 'get into' the genre.

Recommended Tracks

Perilous Nation
The Ballad

The Rolling Stones Beggars BanquetLou Reed Transformer
Nine Inch Nails The SlipNine Inch Nails Year Zero
Nine Inch Nails With TeethNine Inch Nails The Fragile
Drew Tyler (3)
Testament's third album is a good enough for fans of the band, but shows the beginning of the band's...

Andrew Buckley (4.5)
My apologies to the Testament fan-legions out there......

CaptTyrant (2)
Remember, never put 90% of your good riffs into the first two tracks....

DimebagDarrell (5)

December 23rd 2009

And so ends my reviewing hiatus!!

EVedder27
December 23rd 2009

good to see you back reviewing. Nice review too.

December 23rd 2009

I think your rating should be higher, but that's just because I love this band. It's a great review though, well deserving of a pos.

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

December 23rd 2009

I still have to hear Formation Of Damnation is it any good??

December 23rd 2009

Good review, FOD is an awesome album btw

[i] The Ballad [/b]

May want to clean that up

December 23rd 2009

Shindip: It's amazing. Just about equals Endgane in terms of seminal thrash bands making a return to glory.

December 23rd 2009

Endgame is sooooo awesome. o yeah, i fixed the thingy eclectic

Jesuslaves
December 23rd 2009

This album is pretty average, as are all early Testament albums that don't have the word 'Order' in the title. Chuck's vocals are a little ridiculous too.

Formation is the shit.

Iza pos'd

I really have to give Endgame a proper listen, I have it downloaded and everything I just haven't actually listened to it.

December 23rd 2009

The other two reviews for this are very incorrect IMO, so I just had to write this up.

Mordecai.

[q]Endgame is sooooo awesome[/q]

ewww

it is though

Mordecai.
December 23rd 2009

i can't stand Mustaine, and i am quite bias against American thrash,, so not for me

TheSpirit
December 23rd 2009

Good Review/Album. Did you like their newest ?

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

Zipzop5565
December 23rd 2009

I could never get into Testament. I don't know why.

gutturalmaster

Album rating 3.5

I agree with this rating; it is a great album, not excellent. It's classic Testament from the Thrash era. Their new album is better.

jk2two
December 24th 2009

The first two Testament albums own - Though I may be the only one to say this: The New Order probably deserves to be in the same discussion as Reign in Blood and Master of Puppets. The Legacy totally shredded as well. Once they got to PWYP, they tried to clean up and follow the way most thrash was going. You mention going from occult to political in your review. Good point - Look at all the thrash metal bands from 86 to 88 and you'll freak yourself out... watch

Master of Puppets - And Justice for All
Among the Living - State of Euphoria
Reign in Blood - South of Heaven

the move from horror/occult to politics is universal in the genre at that time. This was also the time when the labels began to realize expanding thrash's fan base was a very real possibility... coincidence?

Shoulda been the "Big 5"