Twiztid
Mostasteless

by The Writer Ov This Review USER (49 Reviews)
December 21st, 2009 | 19 replies | 7,731 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Unlike label mates Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid show some potential.

Twiztid is a rap/horrorcore duo featuring ex-members of the underground horrorcore group House of Krazees formally known as Mr. Bones (Madrox) and Hektik (Monoxide). This album was there first under the name of Twiztid and it was also the album that got them picked up by Psychopathic Records, the review will be over Psychopathic Records release and I'll also talk about the songs taken off the original release.

Twiztid's lyrical themes come from a wide spectrum, from horror movies, drugs, religion, politics, etc. While the counterpart ICP catches a lot of hate Twiztid typically gets caught in the crossfire, which is wrong. "2nd Hand Smoke" as the title hints the song is about smoking, Madrox has a great flow on this song and his nasally delivery only makes the futuristic sounding beat more effective. "Murder Murder Murder" features a sample that appears to be Method Man, this song was recorded before they were known as Twiztid and Madrox refers to himself as Bones (his House of Krazees name) this is handsdown the best song on the album and probably the most violent. The song includes references to The Shining and the rest of the album has many references to horror classics.

The beats on the album are great even though some of them were borrowed, regardless they are used well and create a good overall atmosphere for the record. Mostasteless has an old school vibe to it much like the old House of Krazees releases, funk influenced beats may be the cause of this sound. For the most part the lyricism throughout the album is spot on aside from a few moments where they sway away from the topic, and the humorous songs may not win over many listeners due to the fact that it strays away from the dark tone that the majority of the album has.

Some of the catchiest lyrics on the record are featured in "Whatthe***".

Quote:
Bitch ass niggas is tryin to imatate.
My real estate.
So me and Monoxide child.
We had to migrate like ducks in the winter.
We sinners with the halos.
Left the company in the dust for lack of payroll.
Now we stable.
On our feet willin and able.
To switch upon your boys to enable.
You wanna talk about fables.
I turn the tables.
Like the exorcist.
Dominate your cerebellum.
So don't stay next to this.
Multiple equation abrasion to your mindstate.
Inquisitive minds and eyes dilate.
While I dominate all that underground.level
Im not the devil with the whores, pitchforks, or shovels.
The album does of course, suffer some due to guest appearances by the infamous Insane Clown Posse but don't let that detour you from looking into this. The song "Blink" proves that Twiztid can still record a decent song without excessive profanity, which isn't proven that often so people who are offended easily should stay far, far away. Mostasteless isn't all violent and "hardcore" the album actually features the closest thing you'll ever hear to a ballad coming out of Psychopathic, the song is titled "Renditions of Reality", the song features one of the best beats on the album and is far from anything else the duo has ever recorded and they have yet to surpass the amount of emotion poured into this song. Unfortunately Twiztid doesn't attempt to grasp this aspect of the music often and tends to stick to the more violent and joke related lyrical themes, which is a shame because everytime they show this side of Twiztid it comes out being some of their best work.

While I'm sure none of you will give this a chance and those who do will go in expecting a ***fest I recommend everyone check out this album. Both Madrox and Monoxide have their fair share of great verses and the beats mesh flawlessly with the overall flow. Monoxide's flow is at times of lesser quality than others, but overall they are both above average. Mostasteless has it's flaws but in this case the pros outweigh the cons. This is essential listening for any fans of hip hop both old school and new.

Blaspherian Infernal Warriors Of DeathHaeresiarchs Of Dis Denuntiatus Cinis
Ana Kefr The Burial Tree (II)Autaric Demo 2009
Candle Serenade Nosferatu's PassionScaremaker What Evil Have They Summoned...

December 21st 2009

In before the flaming. This was one of the first albums I'd ever owned, I got it when I was 6 and I've listened to it ever since. The review is kind of choppy but it's probably going to be ignored anyway.

December 21st 2009

Oh and let me know of any errors

random
December 21st 2009

Who let you get a Twiztid album when you were 6? That's odd.

lol

December 21st 2009

My sister was big into them and my family doesn't exactly have morals

random

Was she into ICP too?

December 21st 2009

I don't really know this is the only thing I listened to back then really, the album is probably horrible in reality and I'm just blinded by the childhood connection, but regardless I like it

December 21st 2009

lol I like this album too regardless of what a lot of peeps on the site say.

pos'd mo fo

Greatness...

SteelErectedb4you8er
December 22nd 2009

horrorcore made some dude kill his girlfriend and her parents. That means this shit is twisted.

December 22nd 2009

So High and Old School Pervert are Twistids best songs.

Bulldog
December 22nd 2009

Rood review, pos'd. I like horrorcore and hardcore rap, I'll pry check this out, but honestly, nothing will ever top Three 6 Mafia's Mystic Stylez.

December 22nd 2009

Mystic Stylez is pretty amazing.

Wizard

19248 Comments

horrorcore

Hahahahaha I've never heard that one before.

This was another rap album I've been meaning to tear apart. Good review as per usual, I just strongly disagree.

Digging: Nachtmystium - The World We Left Behind

December 22nd 2009

You should write a review tearing it apart, your negative reviews are awesome

Wizard

19248 Comments

Hahahahaha I should but I think I will leave this one alone. May give this another listen.

AnneFrank
December 23rd 2009

great review man
review The Green Book next

November 2nd 2010

Not gonna lie, I seen them live yesterday and it was awesome. I don't think I fit in too well with my Convulse shirt on though.