Neutral Milk Hotel
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

by Adam Knott EMERITUS
December 17th, 2009 | 187 replies | 14,459 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And your mom would drink until she was no longer speaking, and dad would dream of all the different ways to die, each one a little more than he could dare to try...

'The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.'
- Oscar Wilde.

I am not a religious man by any stretch of the imagination, but the closest I come to such an experience is through music, and I would expect the same is true for a great many non-believers. The vast majority of the time, that connection is merely coincidental, and has its roots simply in undeniable and transcendent beauty, like Sigur Ros' ( ). But occasionally there's a record that seems from every angle so inherently spiritual and emotionally deep that it forces me to take a step back and doubt my doubt; when this happens, it's impossible to avoid, and somewhat unnerving in the best way imaginable. If you'll excuse me for a moment, I'd like to correct myself; when I said this sort of thing comes along 'occasionally', what I really meant was 'once'. Ever.

Jeff Mangum and Neutral Milk Hotel are a far cry from most so-hailed Gods and Goddesses of the musical domain past and present; they possess neither virtuosic technical ability nor a widespread mainstream appeal, and their aesthetic - rooted in folk singer/songwriting - is not one particularly renowned for its divine output. All of these things are irrelevant, because In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is one of those rare albums which seems removed from common creative processes. Where most music is constructed from a range of instruments, Aeroplane seems not to bother itself with such questions of necessity and technique: the presentation of every passage and every song seems perfectly natural, so when the title-track calls for nothing more than an acoustic guitar, some brass in the bridge and an ethereal wind-like whistle in the background, it doesn't feel like Neutral Milk Hotel have decided that 'this will be an acoustic track.' It's just where the lyrics take the music to - somewhere stripped down and personal.

Elsewhere, there are static eruptions on Holland, 1945 where the album begins to become less stable, and energetic marching drums as Ghost picks the record back up from the down-tempo Oh, Comely. Trumpets lead The Fool, one of two eerie instrumental interludes. But Aeroplane maintains a common aesthetic, gritty and grounded from start to finish. The folk instrumentation on offer is ever-changing, diverse and produced with a raw edge, like a grainy collection of photographs taken in thousands of different places but with a single unifying theme. But these aren't conscious structural blueprints; they're simply where the ideas on display go next. Songs - especially in the record's latter stages - fade into one another, giving the impression of continuity while Mangum's lyrics maintain the balance between mystery and perceptibility. There are more challenging cuts - like Oh, Comely (standing at over 8 minutes) - but they add to the atmosphere and musical depth of the whole. And once again, though it drops and peaks brilliantly at the halfway point there's not a moment where it feels artificial or deliberate; it's just how the story needs to be told.

And hence we arrive at the reason why Aeroplane isn't just a bit of fun recorded on a compact disc: the story. Though one would hesitate to call it a narrative in the conventional sense, there is no doubt whatsoever that the abstract imagery and dreamlike poetry represents a passage of time, probably confused, in which things happen. What those things are is not the point. There are numerous references to childhood, wartime, the Holocaust, sex, God, family and nature, but they never seem to collide in a way that makes sense in a straightforward manner. It's impossible to deny that lines like, 'she will feed you tomatoes and radio wires mean something in their context - Mangum is not the type to throw around meaningless metaphors - but nothing remains concrete for more than a few seconds. Aeroplane is a lyrical overload, moving with such pace and ease through ideas and scenery that it's difficult to focus on, but the lasting impression is, however intangible, incredibly powerful, due in no small part to Mangum's emotive, unorthodox vocals which stretch in range from the high-pitched opening of King Of Carrot Flowers to the low-pitched conversational tone of Communist Daughter, always extremely dramatic.

Even if you were able to find Jeff Mangum, I would hazard a guess that he would struggle to explain In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, and that is arguably the easiest way to convey how different-class it is. The words that drip from his lips on Two-Headed Boy hold no calculated poignancy. The lyrical and musical twists resemble something far more stream-of-consciousness, akin to the sonic equivalent of automatic writing. Summoning the ghost of one of history's most tragic characters and weaving an organic thread of humanity through the gaps, the songwriting on display throughout is indisputably the work of a genius with something important to say. And it doesn't speak straight to you - heaven knows that over a decade later Aeroplane remains enigmatic and dynamic - but in both its metaphors and its most straightforward assertions there is an instinctive carpe diem drive at its heart. What it means beyond that is entirely up to you, and it's not something I could ever write down, but I guarantee you one thing: whatever it is, it will sooner or later start to mean a hell of a lot.

'This is the room one afternoon I knew I could love you.'

Mumford and Sons BabelAbel (NY) Make It Right

To Be Kind

Lowborn

PuddlesPuddles

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

The guy's voice is what puts me off, while I know it's the reason everyone else creams themself over this. But this is good

Nonetheless, good strikey

December 17th 2009

Hah; I just realised i totally ignored his vocals. I tend to do that because I think it's usually more a matter of personal taste than anything objectively good or bad. Probably should edit something about that in round about now though.

PuddlesPuddles
December 17th 2009

Yeah, I feel it's one of the more crucial ingredients to this album

I mean, it's weird. I really love "Oh, Comely" but there are times during it I think "can this guy
even... sing?"

Roach

perfect record

Fugue
December 17th 2009

Awesome review. Only realised how much I love this about a month ago.

Piglet

bleh

TheSmilingCreep
December 17th 2009

Over-emoting and mediocre music, it must be the music of Jeff Magnum and friends.

FUNNY JOKE

DBlitz

fgts

TheGreatD17
December 17th 2009

Mediocre is harsh. This is mostly very good, but like many indie classics I don't really get why it is regarded as such. I think he definitely could have improved upon this with fewer nonsensical/meaningless lyrics and less toneless shouting. Part of me wonders if he had kept making music if Pitchfork's score would have stayed at 8.7 and if people would regard this as good, but not his masterpiece.

Lucid
December 17th 2009

Great review. No album means more to me than this does.

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

rasputin
December 17th 2009

posting in a strikey review

BigHans
December 17th 2009

Very well written. I can see how this is considered good, I am just having a hard time really liking it.

robin

oscar wilde quotes..

December 17th 2009

just takin a leaf out of davey's book tbh

AggravatedYeti
December 17th 2009

excuse me while I take a flight in my aeroplane over the sea.
Album is gud, but overrated imo. nice review Strikey just the right amount of intelligence and conviction as usual to make it an enjoyable read.

klap
December 17th 2009

agreed with my man puddles

Digging: Literature - Chorus

jagride
December 17th 2009

Essential hipster douchebag album right here

OllieS

2030 Comments

Lol at the random hate

jagride
December 17th 2009

Differing opinion is a good thing, especially with an album like this that seems to get nothing but 5
star ratings on sputnik. So forgive me if i don't join the circle jerk. Btw, i didn't neg the review.