Hate Forest
Purity

by Adam Thomas STAFF
December 14th, 2009 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sieg Heil!

For most heavy music fans, Roman Saenko isn't a name that has reached the same recognizable status as some other heavy hitters in the black metal community, that's probably because he hasn't killed anyone or fucked an effeminate man-purse aficionado, even though his most well known project, Drudkh, is one of the few acts at the forefront of the genre. Before Drudkh came into existence Saenko and fellow Drudkh band mate Thurios first worked together in the ridiculously named Hate Forest.

The most notable of the albums recorded under the Hate Forest moniker, 2003's Purity, shows the Ukrainians at their rawest. Obviously taking influence from early 90's Nordic bands such as Burzum and Darkthrone as well as some of Immortal's earlier material, Purity is an unrelenting torrent of droning tremolo picked riffs and furious drumming that really only has two speeds, mid-tempo double bass runs or blitzkrieg blasts. Unlike his haunting screams in Drudkh, Saenko's vocals are a dirty and guttural Blasphemy-esque roar that rumbles over the frigid atmosphere of the guitars like thunder over the frozen tundra. The most intriguing aspect of Purity is the low keyboard drone that's in the mix in every song, never changing key, leading to a sense of unity, but also a slight sense of monotony when taken in as a whole.

Lyrically, Hate Forest fall in line with the rest of the National Socialist Black Metal crowd that don't see the irony of championing Nazi-ism in a former Soviet satellite state. Meaning that buried in the belches of Roman Saenko are tales of old Slavic lore cast to display Aryan pride, wrapped around bullshit Nietzsche influenced ideals of supremacy and power, but you can't understand anything that he's saying in the first place so those that are easily offended can still give Purity a listen. It's not like most people listen to Black Metal for the lyrics anyways...

Any fan of the rawer side of black metal should get a kick out of Purity. Even though it does tend to meld together after a while, Hate Forest play off of their influences but don't use them as a creative crutch, creating an album that has enough pissed off personality to stand on it's own without sounding like a derivative mash of the Norwegian scene from a decade prior.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Liam Mikael Davies (3.5)
Great for those who're "kvlt", inaccessible to those who aren't. A rather unique vocalist in a not-s...

Crysis
December 14th 2009

probably because he hasn't killed anyone or ***ed an effeminate man-purse aficionado

Made me lol, pos for a great review for a hugely overlooked band.

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

dont know why but hate forest has always bored me, good review though

yay! thanks.

also:
Why is it that people don't add album art when they add an album fucking it up for me when i post a review?!?!

album art is: http://nightfall.free.fr/cnm/pochettes/2287.jpg

Ulsufyring

album rules

rasputin

good band, good review

jingledeath
December 14th 2009

great review, i've been meaning to get into this band

December 14th 2009

this is definitely the place to start

qwe3
December 15th 2009

album is brilliant thanks ulsu for introducing them to me

good review too

Roman Saenko is beast. Good review/band

Did you ever check out his other project Blood Of Kingu? It's solid.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

nah, i'll look into it.

jingledeath

Sieg Heil!

hell yeah

December 16th 2009

Hald of Hate Forest' records dont have any album art on this site. Frankly, it should be fixed.

witchxrapist
December 24th 2009

Band is above average, that's about it.

Funniest fucking name ever though.

February 26th 2010

I'm going to look for this once I'm done listening to Microcosmos again.

Crysis
February 26th 2010

I think Battlefields is a better album.

February 26th 2010

I looked for that one on youtube and the whole album wasn't there sadly. I just figured I'd go for this one next.

February 26th 2010

Yeah this slays pretty hard.

sweet! you found it

February 26th 2010

Yes I did. Couldn't find Battlefields, but I'm going to have to hear that eventually. This was fucking awesome.