Alexx Calise
Morning Pill

good

by Probably the last mimsy USER (9 Reviews)
December 12th, 2009 | 15 replies | 3,162 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nice, solid, decent? Check. Original? Well...

As a new Frostwire user (basically Limewire, for the uninitiated), I happened across their front page “ad”, if you will. It was pretty typical fare, an airbrushed pretty face with a guitar. I glanced over it several times, writing if off as just another pop act. Finally breaking down and reading it out of boredom, the description read:

Quote:
“Delivering a sound that is both fresh and uniquely her own, Calise combines hard rock, grunge, and urban-edged pop with crunchy guitars, angsty lyrics, and an instantly identifiable vocal that is hauntingly beautiful and completely raw all at once.

After reading that particular bit of hyperbole, and as I was letdown by Alison Iraheta’s debut, I was drawn to this (it being free helped as well). I figured what the hell, nothing to lose but bandwidth (which is gold to some), and so I clicked “download now”. A few minutes and some strategic unzipping later, I was able to hit play. Before I go into the music, I’ll try and give the information as I know it (details are sparse). All signs seem to point to Alexx providing the guitar (at least some) on the album. No other instrumental info is given, which leads one to assume that the other instruments are handled by studio musicians. As is to be expected, they don’t do anything special or noteworthy. They are just there to provide a backdrop. On to the actual songs…
“Morning Pill”, starts off with a quick intro of Alexx thanking her fans and such. Not a song by any stretch. Pull It (Bullet) is the first true song here. It comes as close as any to embodying the description quoted above. Fast and in your face, Alexx’s voice drives the song. It more walks the line between pop and rock, than stepping on either side. C’mon You comes across as straight up “Cock Rock”. With lyics like:

“All I want to do is come on, you don’t have a clue/ …You know I like it fast, you want to take it slow…I’ll be riding high, and when I’m riding low/ I really need to come and then I really need to go/”

Subtle? Not really. Think Nickelback, with more pop than rock and more or less decent. The main gripe with this song is her vocals. They just lack the power that she displays elsewhere. Falling is the ballad. With mostly soft guitar and drums, it also shows (in my opinion) her best vocals to be found on “Morning Pill”. Chill is a perfect word to describe this; slow and emotional, with a Colbie Caillat vibe to it. Out of Sight slowly eases back into the louder area. With the catchiest chorus here (I find myself humming it at random times), I’m surprised this wasn’t picked for the first single over Pull It (Bullet). The last song and title track Morning Pill is also the longest track at 4:26. It would be pretty close to my favorite song, with its VERY catchy chorus. The problem comes around the end of the song, when she tries to add too much grit to her voice, and it falls flat. Other than that minor blemish, the rest is a very decent cut of pop/rock.

Now, that may seem like very few flaws for this album, but a problem still remains. We’ve been here before. Be it the Kelly Clarkson rock edge, or the “edgy” Guns n’ Roses-esque lyrics. It’s all been done before, and better as well. In a world where derivative and cliché music has become the norm, Ms. Calise’s album fits right in. While that is not exactly a glittering review -being judged on a purely singular basis-, “Morning Pill” is still a solid release. And with the steady stream of monotonous and boring music, that may be the most one can hope for. So with a payment of nothing more than a few minutes of your time, go ahead and download “Morning Pill” and make the decision for yourself.

Recommended Tracks:

All of them, it is free after all.

Download Link:

http://www.frostclick.com/torrents/audio/music/Alexx_Calise__Morning_Pill__FrostClick.com_FrostWi re.com__MP3_VBR_160k_2009_11_11.torrent

Becoming The Archetype I AmPillar The Reckoning
Circle Takes The Square As the Roots UndoFrost Like Ashes Tophet
Glass Casket We Are Gathered Here Today...Disciple (USA-TN) Scars Remain
good

December 13th 2009

Just a quick write up for a quick album, not sure how I feel about it. Album cover is lolworthy also, when I can get it to show.

December 13th 2009

Stupid artwork won't show. Any suggestions? I thought 200 by 200 was the right size, and it's a .jpg. Idk what's going on.

Until I get that sorted, here's the picture for those that really must see it:

SeaAnemone
December 23rd 2009

19721 Comments

I feel bad, that's why I commented.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

December 24th 2009

Ha ha, I know... Eh, only took a little while to write up.

TheEnforcer
January 9th 2010

While I don't particularly care for this review I won't neg.

When you bold face one track you should either bold them all or not at all. Also your use of "I" slightly irks me but since this is an early review you have much time to improve.

January 9th 2010

I used "I" only for that first couple paragraphs, as they are a personal narrative and required "I" for the way I wrote them. Otherwise I try to leave myself out of any sort of formal writings.
Also, (just read it all over again) I did bold all of the track names as far as I can see. Can you point out the ones you think I am missing? It would be appreciated.

TheEnforcer
January 9th 2010

Alas I am sorry, my mistake, while reading over it again you seemed to quote a few phrases "true",
"cock rock" which confused me, again my mistake and thank you for pointing that out.

Also I repeatedly though "Morning Pill" was a track title as well.

January 9th 2010

I thought about italicizing "Morning Pill", but didn't want too much coding in the review.

I don't know why there are quotes around "true", I'll fix that. "Cock rock" is quoted because it is more of a slang term, and is used somewhat facetiously.

January 10th 2010

"A few minutes and some strategic unzipping later..."

not gonna lie, that sounds really potentially awkward haha. i know exactly what you mean by it, but the potential for bad jokes abounds :D

That said, this does NOT sound like my kind of thing.

January 11th 2010

Ha ha, that is entirely the point of that phrasing. This isn't for everyone, but I'm a sucker for pop every now and again.

Heheheh props. Pos'd, just for that ;D
My pop is limited to Imogen Heap and the occasional Florence and the Machine or Regina Spektor tbh.

January 11th 2010

Nice, thanks, man. I tried to get into Regina (no unzipping this time around), but just wasn't for me. I'll probably discover that I absolutely love her music at some point.

January 12th 2010

Try her newest CD, "Far", I got it on a whim having never heard her before and actually really enjoyed it ('Eet' and 'Laughing With' especially, there are videos up for both those as well). Can't get into her older work as much for some reason.
And yeaa, hate to say it because I like her music, but she's not unzip-worthy :P

January 12th 2010

Idk, my gf absolutely loves her music. I'll try checking that one out for the hell of it.

March 6th 2010

Thanks to whoever pos'd on this.