Ampere

August 29th, 2005 | 133 replies | 23,496 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Ampere
All Our Tomorrows End Today

The PCC. It's a local community center that has housed shows for the blossoming hardcore scene south of San Francisco. This venue proves that sometimes, there's nothing better than seeing an intense screamo band play in a small room that the night before housed a flower arranging class or an AA meeting. Having never been there before, I was treated by a wonderful show on July 30 featuring Sinaloa, Ampere, Death Spares Not the Tiger, and Comadre. I was so impressed by Ampere's music I decided to pick up their most recent CD.

This CD though is only 10.5 minutes, and on a 3" CD. In short, this band is more fast and furious than Vin Diesel. Their most similar peers are Love Like...Electrocution and maybe a more chaotic Hot Cross. The style is defined by quick punches of what would appear to be a verse of chorus if it weren't for the fact that none of the songs have a typical song structure. Most of the songs have one part that could be a full intro or verse in a longer song, but usually are the primary sections of the song. Another reason for these parts' odd appearance is that the time signatures and riffs are completely wacked out. It's not a brutal math metal affair like a Dillinger Escape Plan or Psyopus, but the CD has moments of impressive guitar and mostly cool time signatures. While watching this band live I ended up counting lots of the sections and thinking to myself, this is pretty off kilter. They do an amazing job of making the time signatures flow really well and be catchy at the same time. Most bands that insert time changes end up garbling the flow but Ampere does a great job of mixing sections together, an ability that I attribute to the guitar and bass. The riffs and lines are incredibly catchy and memorable even though they never really last for more than a few bars. It's this kind of scattered, unexpected instrumentation that gives Ampere their best moments.

However, most people will be thrown off by the abrasiveness and abruptness of this album. A typical emo/screamo fan will find this to be standard fare, but those looking for a more palatable foray into technicality should check out The Fall of Troy or Thrice. The length of this album is unfortunate, and makes this more forgettable than a band like Hot Cross that has a more expansive sound but it's still a good album. This band is reserved for elitists, intense musicians, and sadists looking for a quick 10 minutes of angular bliss.

Favorite Track: Woodlawn

Deftones Diamond EyesThrice Beggars
dredg The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusionmaudlin of the Well Part the Second
Mastodon Crack the SkyeTrophy Scars Bad Luck

NEDM
August 29th 2005

Where are you from, and where is the band from?This Message Edited On 08.29.05

August 29th 2005

They're from Massachusetts. I'm from California.

deadohiosky9
August 30th 2005

nice review. great band.

September 1st 2005

I feel this band could really make it in the emo scene with a more presentable, longer album.

pixiesfanyo

Minute long songs.

Send it to me sometime.

slsk or im at dfelon204409

cbmartinez
September 2nd 2005

I'm really starting to dig them.

September 2nd 2005

Oh man. Before I clicked the link I was like "I'm just going to reiterate how much I dig this band" and the BAM! you used the word "dig." Nice.

pixiesfanyo
September 27th 2005

This cd is pretty bad ass.

For some reason my winamp got stuck on shuffle.

and i listened to it 3 times in a row.

September 28th 2005

Sweet. Shuffle likes good music.

Shikyo
January 31st 2006

I ordered this on 10". The artwork is amazing. The pictures really don't do it enough justice. Now, to the content. The songs are really short and chaotic but they're still amazing. The only thing that I could possibly say bad about this... is the short length. Still really good though.

Good review also.

NEDM
February 3rd 2006

Ampere are pretty sweet. This is a great cd.

Dancin' Man
April 2nd 2006

I've been digging this for a while now. They also have an even shorter self titled EP if anyone is interested.

weezer1208
April 2nd 2006

this cd deserves more credit

daghka
September 7th 2006

I like this album, even the fact it's short is not a big deal to me, the whole thing is really like a burst of energy and it's good.

canadapantsman
September 22nd 2006

I personally think this sucks. Just my opinion, as I am more into intracate compositions a la City of Caterpillar, Circle Takes the Square, the first Alexisonfire cd kinda stuff. playing one maj7 chord over and over and calling it a song... don't get it.

September 22nd 2006

Do you think this is some kind of post-rock band? I don't get it.

September 22nd 2006

Wait, .... you have a Zao avatar and ask to be taken seriously...

Jack Wilson
November 5th 2006

i love the intensity of this album. they have to have an amazing live show. nice review.

Intransit
February 17th 2007

This album is great. With only 10 minutes, its hard to not find a time to enjoy it.