Suffocation
The Close of a Chapter

by JohnnyGetYerKnife USER (19 Reviews)
December 10th, 2009 | 4 replies | 6,408 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Suffocation's first live album will suffocate the crap out of you...

A live album is something that captures the energy and skill of a band in a raw environment, with no room for second takes. Suffocation's first live album captures the sheer brutality of them perfectly. The Close Of A Chapter obliterates the listener with a set list that spans their whole discography. We can find tracks from the Human Waste EP to the Souls To Deny full length. Since this was recorded during their Souls To Deny tour, that album has the most songs present, a total of four, whereas other albums have only one or two tracks. The sound quality is raw and unforgiving, but this just adds to the brutality. If this was produced cleanly like a studio album it just wouldn't have the same feeling.

As for the musicians, everybody sounds perfect. Frank's vocal work is some of the best he has ever done, especially live. Of course, between songs, he interacts with the crowd, giving us proof that he doesn't feel superior to the fans because they're on stage. Terrance and Guy are both constantly shredding these songs to near perfection, even if it is a bit sloppy sometimes. But, it's okay. It's Suffocation at their peak. These guys both pick up the slack that Doug left, and you won't even notice he's gone. The solos they perform are slightly different from the studio versions, but they are still played excellently. Derek's bass is there, but unfortunately hardly audible during most of the show, like a studio album. Of course, because this is a live album, I suppose that's sort of a tradition. Mike's drumming is absolutely superb. He sounds great on a live album. It's technical, precise and just sounds like he is trying to destroy his kit.

This is a must own addition for all Suffocation fans, and, even if you've never heard of Suffocation, I suggest you pick this up. This is definitely a good starting point for becoming a fan of the band. I don't think this is in stores, I think you have to get it off eBay/Amazon/Play.com or get it off their official website. It is well worth finding it though, you won't regret it. This band continues to be imitated, but nobody will ever surpass the legacy that is Suffocation, in terms of skill and songwriting at least. It may be the close of a chapter, but it's the continuation of a legacy as kings in the realm of death metal...

Cannibal Corpse Butchered at BirthCircle Takes the Square As the Roots Undo
Satanic Destroyer CorruptionDark Funeral Attero Totus Sanctus
Bathory OctagonTiamat A Deeper Kind of Slumber

JohnnyGetYerKnife
December 10th 2009

I'm sorry it's short, I planned this out in rough yesterday, and i had a couple of minutes spare on my hands, so I thought I'd type it up. GONNA SEE PARAMORE TOMORROW! DECEMBER 11TH! WOO!

PuerkitoBio
December 10th 2009

Wow, I have all Suffo's studio albums, gave this live one a thought but never bought it. Being from Quebec city (but having missed the show), it made it even more interesting to me. Guess I'll have to add it to my collection.

By the way, isn't that sentence a little strange: "Terrance and Guy are both constantly shredding these songs to near perfection, even if it is a bit sloppy sometimes."?

Mike Smith is a god. Suffo rule. And by the way, it IS in stores, at least in Qc.

Doum_L
December 10th 2009

ahahah un autre québécois c rare en sale icitte. moé itoo chu de qc!

LungButter