The Bled
Found in the Flood

by USER (14 Reviews)
August 26th, 2005 | 57 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

EDIT!!: Due to popular demand, I'm changing the first paragraph of this review. The term "hardcore" is still being used throughout, mainly because I'm not a fan of putting bands in sub-sub-sub-genres. Also, the Purevolume link works at the bottom now, so you can check out this band. in action.

The Bled may not be a standout band from the next heavy and angsty band, but they have certainly gained fans and respect over the past few years thanks to impressive slots on tours, including the Warped Tour, and previous albums and EP's. Progressive, chaotic and melodic rhythms flowed through the speakers in their debut album Pass The Flask, which can easily be labelled as one of the best albums of 2003 in my eyes. Now, 2 years on, The Bled are set to unleash their Vagrant debut on the world with this beauty.

"Hotel Coral Essex" slowly sucks you into the album, with a quickly-changing pace and heavy vibe to the music. James' voice roars into your ears, and the combination of dual vocals works incredibly against the ever-changing mood of music. "Guttershark" is a more aggressive song, quite simply pounding metallic melodies out with vicious screams. Not my favourite song, but for a song of this nature, it works very well.

We move onto "My Assassin", demonstrating The Bled's melodic side more as James sings the best he can and the music seems very mainstream in the chorus and bridge. It's probably the most radio-friendly Bled song you will listen to, but nevertheless, it sounds hard-hitting.

The next song, "Antarctica", is more progressive and experimental for the band, providing a mood of calmness and an almost relaxed feel to the album. James' singing voice is once again "shown off" here, and even though his voice isn't they most beautiful, it fits the trippy music to the song. Almost a certainty then, that this slow and downbeat track leads into "She Calls Home", another harsh anthem demonstrating furious screams and riffs that The Bled are known for. "The Last American Cowboy" continues this controlled-chaos that shows off their harder songwriting abilities.

Creativity once again shines in "Daylight Bombings", with a clean guitar melody and James' soft voice leading into another soft track. It seems like The Bled is showing off a side to them we never knew about, a side which wants to develop as a songwriter. Don't be worried, it contains a fairly heavy chorus and outro, reminding you of the reason you love this band.

"Millionaires" is another technical song, throwing in some surprising synth effects into the mix to just add to this band's beasty sounds and fast pace. "With An Urgency" feels like it's stuck between the band's 2 sides, and it doesn't feel that good. The song has something missing, with the same old guitar riffs and gimmicks (Harmonics again?) in it.

We end this with "I Don't Keep With Liars Anymore", a song which is pretty much The Bled in a nutshell. It's vicious and heavy riffs, powerful and sometimes frightening screams and occasional little licks of fast distorted notes make this a perfect ender to their sophomore effort. It ends so quietly and calmly, and after a full 28 minutes, leads into a hidden track. I don't want to give it away, but it's quite a nice treat to fans of their newer work.

The Bled haven't been a band who make their music for the fans really. Their 2003 release wasn't exactly the most anticipated when it came out, but their songwriting abilities have impressed fans around the globe, and that's probably why this will be well received too. It is more polished, and in some cases, completely different to what The Bled are good at. But they pull off every aspect of this album with gracefulness and sheer amazement.

The Aquabats Charge!!NOFX 7" Of The Month Club (February - July)
The Receiving End of Sirens Between the Heart and the SynapseThe Get Up Kids Something to Write Home About
Jack's Mannequin Everything in TransitMy Awesome Compilation Actions
Michael Roberts (3)

musicandwords (4.5)

hykinix (3.5)
An album that borders on excellence; held back by some errors they made in their choice of style thi...

Understanding In a Crash (3)

August 26th 2005

good review...seems like a decent band. i may check them out...

August 26th 2005

The Bled aren't Hardcore.

Cross Out The Eyes

meh the bled are ok
good review

August 26th 2005

I don't agree with your first paragraph at all but good review.

August 26th 2005

I saw The Bled at Warped Tour in Montreal this summer and found they were one of the best bands there, other than Avenged Sevenfold and Thrice. I was suprised to see that there wasn't many people at their stage because they were one of my favorite perfomances of the day. I love the singer's voice and the drummer is insane live. He broke 2 base drums and his high hat. But overal this is an under rated band and should get more recongnition for their music.

Good review.

August 26th 2005

The Bled are ok in my opinion but arent hardcore at all, I would consider them more pop-core or hardcore melodic. I also dont agree with your first paragraph.

Kings of mediocrity.

August 27th 2005

as everyone else said, ditch the first paragraph. i dunno, The Bled ive never found very musically interesting and his voice is just... meh. not hardcore by any stretch of the imagination, or good either.

August 27th 2005

I love this band, and that was a great review.a I've heard a few of the songs from this album, but now I want to hear the rest. Very well done.

August 28th 2005

I just picked up this album yesterday. Totally awesome, I loved it. Great reveiw, too.This Message Edited On 08.28.05

August 29th 2005

how are the songs like?

August 30th 2005

I picked this album up a few days ago and it's one of my personal favorites. Great songs and great vocals. Only complaint i have is that there is only 10 tracks and it dosn't feel long enough, like I can listen to the whole album in one sitting. Thanks for the review and giving me more info on the songs so that I could buy the album.

September 3rd 2005

i recently got this album as well, i'm digging it so far but i've only listened to it a couple times. i think i still might like "pass the flask" better.

September 3rd 2005

I've heard a few songs of theirs, and they just seem really generic to me. They weren't bad, but they weren't necessarily good, either.

September 7th 2005

Does anynone know any tab sites which have songs from their new album tabbed out on guitar or bass?

November 2nd 2005

I've heard from a lot of people around where I live that this isn't anywhere near "Pass the flask". I just blindly (more or less) order PtF off of amazon when I heard Red Wedding. Is this better/different?

November 3rd 2005

It's alright.
It's just a bit, bland y'know.

Pass The Flask was better - lyrically and musically. Found in the Flood isn't bad, only it seems they're trying too hard

November 26th 2005

Pass The Flask > Found In The Flood

November 26th 2005

Yea, i bought Pass the Flask and I love it. Much better than anything i've heard off of this cd. I'll probably still look more into it tho.

November 28th 2005

"I would consider them more pop-core or hardcore melodic."

we talking about the same bled?
my assasin is a really good song, intro is simillar to exit music (for a film) by radiohead just sped up.

Site Copyright 2005-2014