Karen O and the Kids
Where the Wild Things Are (OST)

by Dylan S. USER (68 Reviews)
November 21st, 2009 | 29 replies | 5,665 views

Review Summary: A roller coaster of emotions and excellent music, all built in one soundtrack.

The book Where the Wild Things Are is a dramatic story of a boy expanding an entire new world coming straight from his imagination. This book is fantastic and historically important because it made such a cultural impact with a mere ten sentences, ten sentences that influenced kids around the world with its short, but unbelievably creative story. Director Spike Jones woke up one day and made a decision that could be a huge hit or miss. Adapting a ten-sentence novel into a feature length movie is no easy task, but Jones was ready to work his magic. Of course, no movie can reach greatness without a soundtrack of equal greatness. If the movie reach reached the goal it was going for is for you to decide, but without any doubt, the soundtrack is above and beyond.

Former Spike Jones girlfriend and Yeah Yeah Yeah’s lead singer Karen O took on the task of constructing this music. Step one was assembling a backing band, which included many people like members of the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s. This group of people soon became known as The Kids, thus officially forming Karen O and The Kids. Now time for step two, the music.

It is hard to decide if this should be called and “album” or “soundtrack”, due to its ability to stand strongly as a single work of art that happens to be used in a film. While personally I would call this an album, I am going to be proper and call it a soundtrack.

The “soundtrack” opens with a sentimental little audio clip straight from the film, which leads into Igloo a track consisting of soft humming and light guitar with a hint of tambourine. There are no actual lyrics in the song but it provides an excellent opening with a decent taste of what the overall feeling of the soundtrack is. This leads into the soft keyboard work of the soundtracks single, All Is Love, this guitar quickly picks up the pace leading into quick guitar and child like vocals making an excessively happy song that is spilling joy like a sink spills water.

The soundtrack is much like the movie; an emotional rollercoaster. With the chanted and heavy song Capsize consisting of ritual clapping a howled vocals. And the slow, somewhat depressing track Hideaway which is just Karen O and a few backing instruments used sparingly for all five minutes of the song. Swapping back to the upbeat songs the soundtrack jumps too Heads Up, a song just as happy and joyous as , All Is Love, or its reprise Building All Is Love. This version is quite similar to the first but bolder instrumentals, making it debatably better.

The album ends much like it began with Sailing Home, a one minute tune that is just as uplifting as it is sad, also very similar to the movies ending. I believe that this is what makes the album so great, the music is fantastic, but it literally puts you in the film. Listening to this fully and completely is equivalent to watching the movie or reading the book. It takes you on the emotional trials of the imaginative boy Max, or his wild thing companions Carol, K.W., Alexander, Ira, Judith, Douglas, and The Bull.

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings Dap Dippin'Blondie Panic of Girls
Bjork TelegramCher Closer To The Truth
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros HereChromatics Night Drive

dylantheairplane

review number 20...woohoo

;D

RobotFrank
November 22nd 2009

Not sure I'd rate this higher than the YYYs albums, but I haven't heard this completely through, aside from having seen the movie and some youtube listens. Karen O pwns my < 3.

Jips
November 22nd 2009

"Adapting a ten-sentence novel"

maybe change this to short story... or Children's Book...

its def not a novel...

otherwise pretty nice review...
prolly listen to this one day...

WeepingBanana
November 22nd 2009

this soundtrack made the movie so great

Titan50
November 22nd 2009

Buzzin for movie. NME feature made me want the soundtrack just by itself

plane
November 22nd 2009

It's okay for the film and the songs are good but listening to it as an album just reminds me that it was made for kids. Movie is grade-A though and the soundtrack certainly helps.

Electric City
November 22nd 2009

great movie, but I remember the soundtrack being very reminiscent of Arcade Fire

Digging: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Sea When Absent

November 22nd 2009

definitely not a kids movie

plane

didn't say it was

thebhoy
November 22nd 2009

^ I went to see it and there were only two families there. The one family left half way through, the other stayed by when Carol destroys his model I heard the one kid ask, "Mommy why is the big thing crying?" Pretty much sums it up. Soundtrack was good in the film, would not listen to it by itself.

Jom
November 22nd 2009

I thought Polyphonic Spree, honestly.

robertsona

movie was good enough

November 22nd 2009

I still cant believe I havent seen this yet.

dylantheairplane
November 22nd 2009

personally I loved the movie. Like cirq said, it is not a kids movie by any means

CrazyFool84
November 22nd 2009

I have my doubts about that ^ but might get around to checking it out. Isn't the big song from this movie Wake Up from Arcade Fire?

klap
November 22nd 2009

i thought this movie tried way too hard - plus the kid annoyed the shit out of me. the soundtrack is solid though

its spike jonze* btw

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

November 22nd 2009

i thought it was an amazing movie.
and the kid did an AMAZING job, he was supposed to be that way.

klap
November 22nd 2009

yeah, it was good acting, whatever. i just didn't think it was the mindblowing movie a lot of people we're calling it

November 22nd 2009

for sure, to each his own

Jom
November 22nd 2009

It was an okay movie, but it's really difficult to make an almost two-hour movie out of ten lines of text. Plus, for it being 'Where the Wild Things Are,' there really wasn't a whole lot of 'Wild.'