Impious
Death Domination

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
November 18th, 2009 | 23 replies

Review Summary: With 15 years under their belts, it’s good to know Impious are still kicking ass, and as a matter of fact, they are doing it more now then they have ever before

It’s the end of 2009, and apparently, (great) new releases are coming in faster then ever before this year. Swedish death/thrash outfit Impious is another one of those bands who decided to release their new album in the end of 2009. Rather than wait until the new year arrives (so they could start from a clean sheet), Impious decided to release Death Domination now, in the dark, gloomy November. Good move I say, as now we can enjoy their latest masterwork sooner.

I was very surprised when I read reviews about their 2007 affair Holy Murder Masquerade, and discovered that many of those reviews categorized the album as harsh melodeath. Afterall, Impious was an already well-known death/thrash metal act. I took a look into the album and turns out the reviews were right, it actually was melodeath. So, until I had heard their new song „Abomination Glorified”, I thought Impious' new album will once again be a competent, but not-too-special melodeath album. Luckily I was way off. Death Domination, despite it’s somewhat cliché and unpromising name, is a beastly collection of ten, furious death metal songs influenced by thrash. Impious have shed any melodeath characteristics they had before, and are straight up demolishing it now with their new album. It’s fast, it’s aggressive, it’s brutal, and it’s mean as hell.

The essential requirement for death metal is that the guitar riffs would be well-executed, heavy, gripping and thrashin’. Well, Impious definitely does succeed in that. Sweet guitar lines and crunchy, picked riffs follow each other in this furious music storm. What’s even more notable though, is the drumming. Straight from the first track, the blast beats and cymbal’s mash are a pleasure to hear, and the drums pound fiercely till the end of the album, not letting up at all. Between lead guitar’s high-gain howl, mad blast beats and muddy double bass/bass guitar notes, there is still room for the vocalist Martin Åkesson to also shine. True, he could use his powerful death growl a bit more, but his raspy shout also does the job well enough.

In the end though, despite the generous praise I have given this album, it must be noted that Impious doesn’t do anything new, or even extra special here, with this 36 minutes long blast fest. Sure, the drums are pounding rapidly and the guitars are spitting out crunchy, heavy, gripping, and highly satisfying riffs, but that's just the way it has to be done in the death metal genre. Still, don’t get me wrong, Death Domination is a beast of an album, and is highly recommended to everyone into the rougher styles of metal. Just don’t expect anything revolutionary.

Atrum Tempestas NeantEluveitie Origins
MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North

November 18th 2009

this could essentially just be described with two words: rock solid

ameypv
November 18th 2009

have to dig this.nice review.

November 18th 2009

will check out as soon as I find that damn leak

72086 Comments

hey stop hoggin the first posts in ur reviews ms no fairs

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

November 18th 2009

haha, it's just something I usually do. Also, look-i-look KILL, this should just be your cup. check it out

thanks Jingle and ameypv

SCREAM!

Good review mang

Maybe i should put this on my "list" :P

November 18th 2009

yes, you should put this on your list haha

Zip
November 18th 2009

would I like this? I might get around to it eventually after I process the 20 or so Dm albums I have laying around

Nagrarok
November 18th 2009

Another metul review from metulstyles. I would have said it if I had not approved of the review, so instead of the generic 'great work as usual', I'll just hand out a pos. Will not check this out, not in the mood for death atm.

November 19th 2009

yes zipper, you would like this really much, I know you well enough to know :-)

thanks Nag, and sure, when you're not feeling like DM now, then no problem.

November 24th 2009

I expected this to suck, but it was actually pretty good.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

November 24th 2009

I expected this to suck, but it was actually pretty good.
so why bother to listen to the albums I review if you expect all of them to suck ;)?

November 24th 2009

I give you the benefit of the doubt because sometimes you come through... this week you're two-for-two.

November 24th 2009

well sure, if you look up my any of my 2.5 reviews and then proceed to whine the album sucked then I can see your point ;)

November 24th 2009

I take my whining where I can get it.

November 24th 2009

haha, you whiner! Eat a cupcake and look at the bright side of life ;)

December 9th 2009

album is really good but just barely misses out on a 4

and why is that?

December 10th 2009

Some repetitive riffs. Is it me or is the exact same riff from the Demand played again in And The Empire Shall Fall?

December 10th 2009

it's not exactly the same although very similar. And The Empire Shall Fall is prolly my favourite track though. I don't think the riffs are repetitive per se, but I do agree that they are all rather similar. Still glad you liked this :-)