Headlights
Wildlife

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
November 13th, 2009 | 12 replies

Review Summary: The indie recipe for success goes stale.

Kind of like instant coffee, self-renovation and any ‘do-it-yourself’ self-assembled piece of Ikea furniture, Headlights’ latest album - while fun - feels manufactured and cheap. I imagine that the band, dressed in stereotypical peacoats, scarves and turtleneck sweaters, trotted into a Wal-Mart, plucked a “Make a Cute Indie Album in 5 Minutes!” package off the shelves and marched right back home to throw it in the microwave and call it Wildlife. In the nicely packaged Indie-kit that Headlights purchased is all the essentials you need to be a successful pop act: handclaps, dueling girl/boy vocal harmonies, organs, finger snaps, wistful lyrics, major key acoustic guitar strumming and general benignity throughout. Yet it’s immediate with only one listen and a quick glance at the nutritional information that Wildlife is a stale affair -- it’s perky, classy and a lot of fun but it’s been done a million times before by people with far more ingenuity.

This musical familiarity is not necessarily bad; music does not need to go to bold, new places in order to be successful and for this fact, a lot of Wildlife is worth a listen. Opener ‘Telephone’ has a very deliberately fun main hook and more-than-adequate instrumentation while songs like ‘Get Going’ and ‘Wisconsin Beaches’ are carried entirely by the band’s ethereal and constantly harmonizing vocals. Yet most of Wildlife is just too familiar or just too boring; ‘Secrets’ is irritatingly peppy, ‘You and Eye’ is too hypnotizing to be interesting and the occasional percussive experimentation on songs like ‘Teenage Wonder’ and ‘Love Song for Buddy’ sounds just out of place. So, no matter how awesome closer track ‘Slow Down Town’ may be or how catchy ‘Telephone’ is, Wildlife’s predictability is inexcusable; Headlights’ motif had grown stale before the band had even begun to record the album. Wildlife simply, and unfortunately, is an ordinary brand of pre-packaged indie-pop that is too unoriginal to take seriously - so while the potential may be there, it truly hasn’t been realized yet. Here’s to hoping Headlights will come into their own in the near future.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences
good
Eric (4)
Thankfully, Headlights have escaped......

November 13th 2009

attempted brevity in a review; album is boring but promising all at once

Nagrarok
November 13th 2009

*insert great short review now stop ignoring me and go write them Rush reviews now comment here*

Oliver
November 13th 2009

This is a very nice and concise review. Your first paragraph was pretty funny. I shall vote.

Kiran
November 13th 2009

tarnishing the good name of ikea in your first sentence left me in too much of a dizzy rage to read the rest of your review, however if i were to have continued reading im sure it wouldve been great

November 13th 2009

I love Ikea furniture for the first two years after I buy something form them and now my dining set exploded and I am blaming them.

Oliver
November 13th 2009

Your dining set exploded?

Aids
November 13th 2009

They know it's all been done before, they wanna do it again.
(Only on Sputnik, folks).

Good review. You play with our emotions going right from a big long 5 star review to a short 2.5 one. Keeping us on our toes I see.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

SeaAnemone

20526 Comments

^aids comment for the (sputnik-only) win... this has worn off a little, but I think it's still worthy of a 3-3.5. Great review, loved the first half.

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

klap
November 13th 2009

hey you finally got to it lol

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

I'm slow to the punch.

PuddlesPuddles
November 13th 2009

I've thought about giving this a shot but honestly, there's no real reason to, it seems

Nice one, brudda

Kiran
December 4th 2009

listened to a few songs off this and they have a sound that could make for something really good but the songwriting is so lacklustre