Kayo Dot
Choirs of the Eye

by Nick Greer EMERITUS
August 24th, 2005 | 1021 replies | 59,052 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The most challenging, progressive, and beautiful album of the 21st century.

Kayo Dot
Choirs of the Eye

Toby Driver was in a predicament. His jazzy melodic death metal band, Maudlin of the Well, was slowly moving towards a more modern classical style both in composition and aesthetics and he wanted to escape his band's metal reputation. Driver's solution was to rename his primary project to Kayo Dot and begin composing the most epic, progressive, and deep modern classical music of the 21st century. Needless to say, it was a pretty savvy move. They managed to convert their fanbase from metalheads into indie elitists overnight after changing their name, direction, and label (signing to the John Zorn's experimental label Tzadik label). Even now, they have signed to Robotic Empire (Circle Takes the Square, Crowpath, Red Sparrowes) and are furthering their domination of multiple scenes and styles.

Where does Choirs of the Eye lie? In the brutal, oddball metal of their early years? The progressive metal of their last Maudlin of the Well album Bath? Their seeming epic metal/emotional hardcore future? No where and everywhere all at once. This album has a style that looks generations forwards and backwards. There are remnants of late 19th / early 20th century composition within the unique key changes and chromatic harmonies that can simultaneously evoke Debussy and Bartok but in a modern time frame. One of the great things about this band is that they can produce these classical ideas on contemporary, modern rock instruments. Listening to the intro of "Wayfarer" may as well be a journey through a slower, classical guitar piece, but with the amazing mixing and sonic variety inaccessible to the famous pre-Digidesign composers. They have spliced concert hall grandiloquence and modern technology more tastefully than any band I have experienced. This balance would have failed if it weren't in the hands of capable composers, musicians, and engineers (I read that one track has 96 distinct and essential tracks to be mixed).

The album has five songs and lasts just over an hour. These songs are long, meandering, and careful. "Marathon" begins brutally with a dense, metal climate only to spill into 7-8 minutes of rambling ambience. This section allows tremolo chords and bell-like rings in the background. This chill disposition is complemented well by spoken word lyrics and a wide variety of warm synthesizer lines. "A Pitcher of Summer" brings back Maudlin of the Well's calmest moments (i.e. "Geography") with Kayo Dot's poppiest, most accessible song in terms of structure and palatability. The song is delicate, with falsetto vocals, arpeggiated clean tone guitar, slow trumpet, and a plain piano backing. Only as the song progresses does distortion find its way into the song, though this device still coexists with the smoother vocals and piano. "The Manifold Curiosity" is a beast of a song (15 mins) that builds to one of the heavier climaxes on the album. That is straight up screaming, double-bass drum, and chugging death metal guitar but this is only after building to this moment for 10-12 mins. You appreciate the moments of abrasive and emotional climax by brooding over it for extended stretches of song. "Wayfarer," my favorite song on the album, begins with a solitary guitar and is built gradually into a faster, more immediate moment, just to spill out into the main portion of the song at the exact moment the singer goes falsetto with "wayfarer." That moment alone makes the album. The contrast of the most beautiful vocals and heavy background music takes the cake. The effect is astounding. The final track, "The Antique" begins with a lot of semitonic harmonies and dirge-like tones. The song paddles around this landscape for a long time as a means to build towards to the climax of the song, which spills out into an extended breakdown with an interesting time signature motif, only to end on a beautiful and unexpected picardy third. It's a trip to be enjoyed with attention and nice headphones. The attention to detail in engineering and composition and unreal. Each track mixed has a distinct flavor. It's a wonder how long this album must have taken to perfect. The labor paid off though. Paid off in full.

Another topic I want to touch on is the choice of instruments. The sensibility of experimentation in terms of instrumentation existed with Maudlin of the Well, but because they were writing jazz metal, hearing a flute seemed corny, but in the context of this giant, modern classical album, those fit into place. The superior mix and composition allow the diverse instrumental ensemble to soar. Present are the typical guitar, bass, and drums of a rock band, which is the spine of the album, and the key remnant from Maudlin of the Well. On top of that is lovely oriental violin, wistful trumpet, ambient keyboard, and an oddly playful flute. All of these instruments find a place to accent the style on this album. The diversity works with the band instead of working against it like with their previous work.

If you're interested in hearing the most forward-thinking band in music today, pick up this album. That will give you just under a year to digest the style before their new album comes out. I personally have listened to this CD countless times, trying to decipher it, and pick out guitar parts, etc. but it's near impossible as a hobby. This album is magnificently constructed, grandiose, beautiful, and absolutely titanic. I enthuse you to listen right now.

Deftones Diamond EyesThrice Beggars
dredg The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusionmaudlin of the Well Part the Second
Mastodon Crack the SkyeTrophy Scars Bad Luck
4.4
Rationalist (5)
This album combines all that is phenomenal about music, and makes use of it here in this cinematic a...

Keelan H. EMERITUS (4.5)
"Final scarlet denizens to march into the scorching fumes."...

KazooVirtuoso (4)

Dancin' Man
August 24th 2005

This album and I are lovers. MoW progressed even further to make their best work here. Excellent review as well.

3rdplanet
August 24th 2005

Excellent review of an excellent album.

Happymeal
August 24th 2005

I just hope that signing to Robotic Empire doesn't affect their sound too much =/

August 24th 2005

You know what, it won't. Robotic Empire is a great label. They've produces some insane stuff over the years. Also, if anything they've made bands better. CTTS, before signing were a more straight forward emo band. After signing they wrote a huge grandiose album. I'm pretty sure the label has nothing to do with that mini transformation but if you're scared about any adverse affects from Robotic Empire, I suggest you fear not.

Happymeal
August 24th 2005

Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking about Opeth when I typed that. Also, Mia (their violinist) = :heart:This Message Edited On 08.24.05

pixiesfanyo

Mia = Hottest

They are so good.

September 2nd 2005

Mia was the female model for Coheed and Cambria's album Second Stage Turbine Blade and we're myspace friends. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

September 2nd 2005

I've chatted to Mia on myspace also. We are friends. She said she wanted to hunt for Yetis in my backyard.

This is the second best thing these guys did, Bath being the best. It's very excellent.

September 2nd 2005

Bath is really good but this album has a flow and holisitic quality that Bath doesn't have. Also, I think I like Leaving Your Body Map better than Bath. Actually it's such a hard choice, I'll take that back. I dont know haha.

September 2nd 2005

It's not by much that Bath beats this for me, but yeah. Plus "Birth Pains of Astral Projection" is the best song from these guys.

September 2nd 2005

I like when in the middle of their insaneo stuff, they can pull of a "Marid's Gift of Art" or "Geography," which drastically change the pace and are absolutely beautiful.

September 2nd 2005

I like the interludes too.

September 2nd 2005

Oh ya. Sometimes I listen to them in order across the two albums.

December 15th 2005

Hey, umm. Anybody heard the new CD other than me and pixies yet?

invisiman
January 19th 2006

A Pitcher of Water is musical perfection in my eyes. Definatley a great album, and I'd say this is a review that is worthy of the album. Good work.

February 14th 2006

"A Pitcher of Summer" is the least weighty track though.

You can't get the massive payoffs without the massive buildups you know?

Hatshepsut
September 17th 2006

1997 Comments

I finally bought this today. Love it so far, and it can only get better.

TheMisterBungle
December 10th 2006

I think I need to look into these guys.

December 10th 2006

Ya man. I prefer this to Dowsing... but they're both awesome.

Eliminator