Flyleaf
Memento Mori

good

by Trey Spencer STAFF
November 9th, 2009 | 87 replies

Review Summary: The band make some adjustments to their alt. metal sound - some work and some don't.

Opening track, "Beautiful Bride", is a terrible song to open Memento Mori with. The riffs are boring, the vocals are lackluster, the hook is weak, and the group-singing near the end is awful. If that song was representative of the quality found on this album the band would have been in trouble. After a complete listen, though, it turns out that it is easily the worst track on the album and probably should have been completely omitted. Where that song’s riffs feel dull and lifeless, the rest of the album’s are chunky and energetic. Where Lacey’s vocals fall short on the opener, they excel everywhere else – and most importantly while “Beautiful Bride” is instantly forgettable, the rest of the album is full of strong hooks and entertaining songwriting. This is largely achieved by the band being content to simply make minor adjustments to the formula that worked so well on their debut. The unfortunate thing is that not all of these adjustments work, resulting in an album that is basically one step forward but two steps back.

The most noticeable modification is found in the removal of a majority of the aggressive moments in favor of a poppier undercurrent. This change actually works reasonably well as it enhances the strongest element of the band’s sound – the choruses. This means that while listeners aren’t going to find an equivalent to “I’m So Sick”, they are going to get a collection of memorable alt. metal songs that don’t sound as forced. Songs such as “Missing” even go so far as to almost take a page from Paramore in its upbeat, chorus-driven direction. When the band focuses on Lacey’s vocals and the power of their hooks it often leads to some of the strongest songs of the album – it’s when they go back to the grittier alt. metal of their debut that they begin to waver.

It’s obvious that some effort was made to develop the riffs and melodies beyond the simple forms they contained on the debut, but it doesn’t always seem to work. First and foremost, they aren’t nearly as instant as they were on the debut which often lessens the impact these heavier songs may have had. The lack of instant riffs wouldn’t be horrible if they simply required a bit more time and attention to click, but that’s not the problem. The issue is that they sometimes just sound awkward and disjointed. When this is combined with melodies that don’t gel with the rest of the music (see “This Close”), it results in songs that seem to falter and languish. That’s not to say that all of the riffs are bad, because quite a few of them work quite well, only that when they don’t it can get pretty bad.

It seems that Flyleaf made their best attempt at avoiding the sophomore slump, but that they didn’t quite succeed. The band’s removal of a large majority of the pseudo-aggressive moments was probably for the best and their embrace of a poppier angle really took quite a few of these songs to another level, but other adjustments weren’t quite so positive. There are just a few riffs and grating melodies that spoil what could have been an album that was at least as strong as its predecessor. As it is, though, this is still a good album that contains more than enough for fans to hold on to, but also enough for them to be disappointed about.

Fear Factory GenexusCradle of Filth Hammer of the Witches
The Dreaming Rise AgainKenn Nardi Dancing With the Past
Sick of It All The Last Act of DefianceMeshuggah I (Special Edition)
3.1
good
pizzamachine (3)
in the middle of nowhere....

Xelis (2.5)
Memento Mori is let down by unimaginative guitar riffs and lack of experimentation....

Willie
November 9th 2009

Just a quick write up because there's not really that much to say about these types of bands.

PuddlesPuddles

Aw shucks

Nice review, man

Electric City
November 9th 2009

this sounds awful but you missed a golden opportunity to make tons of Flyleaf jokes

Blindsided
November 9th 2009

Was just thinking about reviewing this.

Still might.

November 9th 2009

dang it, Flyleaf pulled a Claire Voyant it looks like. still gonna listen.

botb
November 9th 2009

I enjoy their vocalist more than Hailey Williams tbh.

alt
November 9th 2009

good singer, too bad everything else is shit.

jrowa001
November 9th 2009

yeah vocals arent bad but the music is boring

November 9th 2009

I wonder if they are going to tour nonstop to promote this like they did for the self-titled.

November 9th 2009

well of course, restrict. most bands would do that.

November 9th 2009

They did it for 3 years though. That's why this album is so late.

BobbbyLight
November 9th 2009

If it wasn't for the vocals this would be a .5, but if you add a decent female vocalist to a horrible band, it comes out OK for some reason. There are some OK songs, but overall it's not very good. I can't imagine listening to this more than 2 or 3 times.

Metalstyles
November 9th 2009

so the overall quality of this album, based on your review, seems to be exactly what I expected it to be. I'm gonna check it out as their debut was ok and they are rather good live.

MentalityOfA

I don't care.

800.

November 9th 2009

This is alright. I thought they had something going with that EP of theirs (their best song "Much Like Falling" was on it).

Jom
November 9th 2009

Lacey's vocal mannerisms are still awful. Boring album.

November 9th 2009

also, trey have you checked out sights and sounds they're a band i feel like you'd enjoy.

i am very close to believing fromtheinside is the lead singer.

catsinflats
November 9th 2009

lacey always used to remind me of avril lavigne. this sounds pretty average though

if this band had a male lead singer im sure no one would care about them

November 9th 2009

... wtf with the album cover?

Willie
November 9th 2009

I like her vocals and their first album, but I can agree that if you were to stick a male vocalist in here and they probably never even get signed. I also hear the Avril comparison. This album was almost a 2.5 but it barely squeeked by. I don't know if they could ever play anything like the Deftones, but that would be cool.