Camera Obscura
My Maudlin Career

by Rudy K. STAFF
November 4th, 2009 | 13 replies

Review Summary: When you're lucid you're the sweetest thing / I would give my mother to hear you sing"

Camera Obscura are good at what they do. Fans of the band and even casual listeners can easily attest to this after the magnum opus that was 06’s Let’s Get Out Of This Country, where frontwoman Tracyanne Campbell and fellow Scots bandmates gave themselves over to Lloyd Cole and looked very much like the successors to Belle & Sebastian’s eminently catchy brand of twee-pop. It becomes clear right out of the gate that, with My Maudlin Career, their success has in no way put a damper on their talents – Campbell still has that slightly accented purr down pat, a sexy and sweet mix between Jenny Lewis and Victoria Bergsman, and the band’s orchestrated ‘60s pop/folk keeps chugging cheerfully along no matter how downcast Campbell sounds.

And make no mistake about it; My Maudlin Career is a darker record than Country, although you wouldn’t know it from the delightful opener and first single “French Navy.” Where countrymen Belle & Sebastian made their mark via clever turns of phrase and sly, smart lyrical conventions, Camera Obscura are romantics at heart, using a bouncy string-backed beat to frame convictions of love like “I was waiting to be struck by lightning / waiting for somebody exciting” before bursting into a four-on-the-floor chorus replete with arching, ascending strings as a yearning Campbell sings “I wanted to control it / but love, I couldn’t hold it.” It’s the catchiest, most straightforward song on the record, the band’s corollary to Country’s excellent “Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken.” Obscura’s well-toned pop hooks are sunk even deeper on the following “The Sweetest Thing,” where the contrast between Campbell’s heartsick lyrics and the upbeat, sing-a-long chorus is highlighted and makes a deceptively simple song into a thing of tragic beauty.

The band pumps the brakes a bit on the following tunes, starting with the country-flavored question of “You Told A Lie” and continuing with the atmospheric melancholy balladry of “Away With Murder.” Campbell is alternately scathing and self-deprecating, asking “are my eyes the coldest blue?” and then singing worriedly “I don’t know what I’ll do / cause I’m stuck with them / and they’re stuck on you” on the former. “Away With Murder,” meanwhile, coats itself in layers of echoes and gentle acoustic accompaniment while Campbell bemoans “I’ve been lonely too, like you / I’m just like you” along a tale of hard touring.

While songs like the jangly pop of “Swans” and the elegant guitar-vocal interplay of closer “Honey In The Sun” prove that the band long ago knew how to craft a brilliant hook and that the production is generally spot-on, it’s songs like the understated “Away With Murder” and the powerful emotion of “James” that truly make My Maudlin Career shine. Camera Obscura are at their best when Campbell is using the full range of her vocals, evoking a variety of feelings while carrying the melody while the band’s arrangements take a back seat. Even when the lyrics don’t match the strength of the music, such as on the tear-in-your-beer country misery of “Forest and Sands,” it’s Campbell’s ability to carry a tune and connect that make up for any missteps.

Occasionally the band drop a dud that even Campbell can’t save, like the inadvisable faux-acapella of “Other Towns & Cities,” a sparse combo of dreamy guitar and reverb-soaked vocals that goes nowhere and stays there. And while songs like the title track, where Campbell croons “this maudlin career has come to an island / I don’t want to be sad again” might make one think she’s had enough of all this singing about heartbreak, it only takes one listen to the expertly crafted layers of “Honey In The Sun” and its bombastic, joyous horn section to put one at ease. Despite all of Campbell’s attempts to “become as cold as ice,” Camera Obscura is still a band reveling in the ability of bright, warm chamber-pop to dispel away the gloom.

Charli XCX Sucker...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead IX
Caribou Our LoveTennis Ritual In Repeat
Death From Above 1979 The Physical World...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead Source Tags & Codes
timbo8 (4.5)
A case in point if you think the best pop songs are sad ones....

klap
November 4th 2009

timbo's review of this is pretty awesome, but i'd thought i'd add mine because this album deserves more publicity, and i'm trying to beat strikey by posting more old album reviews

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

plane
November 4th 2009

Old album? First sentence needs some fixing, otherwise good job/described well/etc. Camera Obscura are the perfect singles band but they kind of teeter off with the long-play stuff. Solid 3.

klap
November 4th 2009

yeah concurred. i did think this was a more cohesive and consistent album than country though

oh and i meant old like not within the past couple of weeks

Douglas

Not sure if this is my thang, will check out though. Nice review : D

November 4th 2009

Love this album. Good work.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

kingsoby1
November 4th 2009

this record was cool for about a week. it really reminds me of She & Him. good review again.

November 4th 2009

Great review Rudy. This band is extremely underrated on this site it seems. I think this may be my favorite release by them. pos

Kiran
November 4th 2009

Let's Get Out Of This Country is just as good imo. Don't have anything before that though.

November 4th 2009

Their best song is on Underachievers Please Try Harder: 'Before You Cry'.

AggravatedYeti
November 4th 2009

^ def one of them. Either 'Underachievers' or this is their best album imo. Unlike 'Biggest, Bluest, Hi-Fi' or 'Let's Get Out Of This Country!' they've got legs beyond the singles.
As usual great review Rudy and this album is boss.

Electric City

completely agree with lewis

November 4th 2009

I don't think their singles are always their strongest tracks.

timbo8
November 4th 2009

Awesome review. And yes, more people need to listen to this band.