Superchunk
Here's Where The Strings Come In

by Kane Cooper USER (6 Reviews)
October 29th, 2009 | 32 replies | 5,900 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Superchunk - not sitting on Zane Lowe's couch.

Sonic Youth are the best band ever and that’s a damn fact. I mean they’re probably terrible or something if you don’t like good music or even if you do (how could you qualify any musical artist as irrefutably ‘good’? - you can’t, unless you‘re talking about Sonic Youth then you can). Unfortunately not every band is Sonic Youth, alas for Superchunk. Imagine toiling away knowing ‘oh man even if we were the best band ever we still wouldn’t be the best band ever …we’re not Sonic Youth!’

Q: So what relationship does Superchunk have to Sonic Youth?
A: None, apart from that of inferiority. Oh and the band name also begins with that strikingly seductive letter ‘S’.

So other than not be as good as Sonic Youth what does this record achieve? Well it’s your typical early 90’s messy American alt rock (think Built to Spill, think Modest Mouse, think Sebadoh, think Guided by Voices). The vocalist is pretty good, he sounds like some other guys I also don’t know the names of. He has that typical 90’s American whiney ‘life sucks’ delivery. This is the band you’d never seen on Zane Lowe’s sofa because they’re not Sonic Youth. Not that the Youth would ever gift that twat Lowe with their presence, they’re too ***ing good. Anyway, Superchunk are pretty average I guess but I kinda like them for their no holds barred punky grungy indie we’ve all heard before. Think of some 90’s bands [NB. Look above], and if they sound like ‘The Chunk’ as I’ve come to fondly think of them then they’re probably pretty good and so if they are then this will be good too because they sound like something good. Right?

Sonic Youth are real good.

Renowned sputnik critic, commentator and general douche Alex-Slayer-Robertson once commented on this album that:

this album is ok but sonic youth's washing machine, released in the same year, was better.

while i'm on the subject of sonic youth, let me tell you something: they are the perfect mix of indie sensibility, a no-wave fuck you attitude, and abrasive noisy atmospheres. most would point to 'daydream nation' as the best example of this, but i really think you can't go wrong with EVOL or Sister either.

if you want to hear more of their noisy side, the SYR side projects are intermittently brilliant releases of avant-garde experimental music.

that's my opinion on this superchunk album

Dalek AbsenceAfterlives A Ticking Clock I Couldn't Stop
Slayer Reign in BloodBedhead WhatFunLifeWas
Converge Jane Doe

October 29th 2009

First review in a while don't go too hard on me guys.

October 29th 2009

aww shit kane dog in da house. How's it going my brotha?

Review was good in its own way haha so i'll pos. At least it was entertaining

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

October 29th 2009

aww shit kane dog in da house. How's it going my brotha?

Review was good in its own way haha so i'll pos. At least it was entertaining

not bad, you?

And thank you ^-^

Waior
October 29th 2009

I have 'Here's to Shutting Up' by these guys but haven't listened to it yet.

October 29th 2009

Cool. I've never even listened to this band.

I have though.

not bad, you?
I guess I'm alright, could be better. As i think of it, nothing's all that wrong atm but also, nothings really right either. Just trying to do my thing you know.

Phantom

why did you have to come back

Kiran
October 29th 2009

decent album but for some reason i've always preferred superchunks individual highlights over albums. their albums always sort of fizzle out after a while and lose their charm quite quickly.

October 29th 2009

I feel you. I get much the same at times (all the time).

why did you have to come back

msn?

100% agree.

Phantom

msn?

i have the hiccups but ok. and that comment wasnt directed at you i just posted a little late

btw have you heard of sonic youth?

October 29th 2009

Awes. I hope the hiccups don't effect your typing ability!

never heard the Youth, they any good dog?

robertsona

that's my opinion on this superchunk album

October 29th 2009

I get much the same at times (all the time).
yeah, that on its own is rather depressing, but let us not think of it that way, depressing thoughts effing suck. We should always be on the bright side my man, always on the bright side!

robertsona
October 29th 2009

"I will add that to the review thank you user robertsona formerly djdorama consistently a large bundle of sticks !"

whats up with the hate you act cool on last.fm you trying to impress someone bro

Wizard
October 29th 2009

Awesome review dude hahaha. I have a question though: If I were to take Chunk from the Goonies and make him a super hero, would that be a close description to the sound of this band? Or is it just Sonic Youth sounding?

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

I used to hate you

but I dont mind you now dont take things too srs

The answer to all your questions here is yes except this sounds not that much like Sonic Youth.

lucky I got me some bright eyes

Wizard
October 29th 2009

Goonies is one of the greatest movies of all time, not going to lie. I may look into these guys.

lucky I got me some bright eyes
dude my eyes are all grey and dim (sad face)

October 29th 2009

sounds like you need some sonic youth