Heartsounds
Until We Surrender

by Ethereal Space Yogurt USER (204 Reviews)
October 22nd, 2009 | 36 replies

Review Summary: Former Light This City members go pop punk.

After Light This City dissolved into nothingness, the really hot A.A t-shirt sporting front woman Laura Nichols and not quite as attractive yet still a beast drummer Ben Murray head off into a new musical direction. Not long after the disbandment of LTC, the duo formed a band called Heartsounds and quickly pushed out a real knee slapper of a debut called Until We Surrender. The most noticeable difference between Heartsounds and Light This City is the genre. In Heartsounds, the duo have completely abandoned their melodic death/thrash roots in favor of mid tempo melodic punk rock, complete with driving power chords, a spirited dual vocal delivery and enough hooks to snag a wild Gyarados.

The immediate selling point for me with “Until We Surrender” was finding out Laura Nichol’s new role. Not just being a guitarist but more importantly was to hear Laura belt her pipes. Don’t get me wrong, I loved her savage growls and roars in Light This City but hearing her sing for once is a nice change of pace. But not all the vocals are provided by Laura. Ben also sings and carries the rest of the music on disk as guitarist/bassist/drummer. Both vocalists are pretty standard for the genre, emitting that same nasally hue and punkish energy that most bands employ. But they sound great together, whether it’s playing off on one another or singing solo. The album features a traditional 3 minute long verse-chorus verse-chorus formula which capitalizes on the duo’s surprising peppiness as musicians/vocalists.

There are plenty of heartwarming guitar melodies, rocking drum patterns and catchy riffs to follow the killer vocal harmonies, which in fact, is a perfect album to introduce to your shallow radio friendly friends. Hell, I guarantee if you show this to your typical Twilight worshipping, pop-punk loving douche of a friend, they’ll fall in love with this record immediately. You wont even need to tell them that they used to be a thrashing metal band. It’s ok if you do though.

“Until We Surrender” is a text book, no frails, modern punk record with slick production and pop sensibilities to boot. Safe and structured songwriting all the way, this album doesn’t reinvent the wheel by any means. But that doesn’t detract any of the positives from Until We Surrender. Overall, a solid forty minute joyride that casual fans of punk and alternative should enjoy.

Pagan Hammer Ode To My fathersDestroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & War
So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun

Drifter

klap
October 22nd 2009

nice to see you taking a break from your travels ash

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

October 22nd 2009

It's good to be back. I was just assaulted by a ferocious gang of Mankeys on the way out, and just real lucky I didnt get seriously hurt.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

klap
October 22nd 2009

always need to pack some repel before you go anywhere man you know that

October 22nd 2009

a spirited dual vocal delivery and enough hooks to snag a wild Gyarados.

That analogy was fucking awesome. It is nice to see Sputnik embracing Pokemon

This looks interesting, I'm intrigued by the change in sound. LTC was pretty average, imo

October 22nd 2009

Facing The Thousand had some cool stuff, that one song video where every band memebr was taken out with a rifle was awesome.

October 22nd 2009

I don't think I ever saw a video by them

Good review, btw. Pos'ed

IndieOut
October 22nd 2009

Hopefully you weren't exposed to mankeys most powerful attack, low dick. he cock slaps you repeatedly in the balls. Good review

jrowa001
October 22nd 2009

sounds interesting, ill check this out. good review

chyeah pop punk! I'm in.

October 23rd 2009

I checked this out and to be honest didn't like it.

Her clean vocals are kind of awkward sounding

Yeah that's what I thought... 2-2.5

October 23rd 2009

What's akward about them? Maybe all the screaming over the years wore out her voice but the vocals are solid in my book, every song is fun and catchy enough to repeat. I got no complaints.

October 23rd 2009

Vocals are egh, and the guitars are too loud and it still sounds like metal. Just happy metal.

Willie
October 23rd 2009

Good review - Last.fm only has 30 second samples so I'll have to wait until I get home to check this out. The male vocalist kind of sounds like the guy from No Use For a Name.

jrowa001
February 7th 2010

not bad, not great

June 16th 2010

Whoa! Whoever brought this into the light, thanks.

cvlts
June 17th 2010

i guess i'll check it out.

IRAI
June 17th 2010

kinda reminds me of A Wilhelm Scream with less shredding, plus girl vocals.

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

Band comparisons please Balls.....