Suicide Silence
2004 Demo (Family Guy Demo)

by keysofanxiety USER (9 Reviews)
October 21st, 2009 | 32 replies | 14,941 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Originally quite a fun album, which becomes more grating after every listen.

I’m a person who’s always willing to listen to new styles of music, and I’ve come across a genre called ‘Metalcore’ a few times, so I decided to investigate this further. After ploughing through a few comments here and there, I also noticed a band by the name of “Suicide Silence” came popping up again and again- and the feedback for them really wasn’t that good.

So, with my masochistic sense of humour, I decided to acquire one of their albums and give it a listen, fully expecting to hate it- revelling in the fact that I’ll feel a little better about myself by ripping the piss out of this album.

Jokes on me, I’m afraid. It’s not actually that bad- especially for a demo.

The production by modern standards isn’t great, but then I’ve listened to a lot of Black Metal, so it doesn’t really bother me. It’s a shame, frankly, because I was looking forward to making ridiculous similes to express my hatred for Suicide Silence.

The first thing I noticed when playing this demo was the fact that it opened with a Family Guy quote. Frankly, I was shocked, and being a huge Family Guy fan, I immediately fell in love with this record. However, as Shakespeare once famously said, “They do not love that do not show their love”.

In all honesty, I’m not quite sure what that quote means, but what I’m trying to say is that my ‘love’ for this record didn’t last very long. About 10 seconds, to be precise. After getting beyond the amusement of randomly-inserted Family Guy gimmicks, it’s difficult to find any real substance to this demo.

At times Suicide Silence seem to take the naïve approach that “slow is heavy”, and seem to abide by all the clichés; fast random drumming, followed by a misplaced tempo change, leading into a painstakingly slow chugging riff.

Sometimes there are albums which grow on you, whilst others grab you by the first listen. And with this demo, the more I listened to it, the more I realised that my initial comment of “It’s not actually that bad” was pretty wide off the mark. Musically and vocally, this demo is highly unsatisfying. It’s as if Suicide Silence took all the worst elements of music, and pasted them altogether to give us a thick, gloopy sludge of pretentious crap.

If truth be told, this album is pretty dire; the only incredible thing about it is the fact that every last damned copy of this musical travesty hasn’t been torched in a Nazi-esque book burning. However, it has occurred to me that ‘Suicide Silence’ perhaps aren’t the most serious of bands- nevertheless, this isn’t going to stop me slating them.

This was my first experience with the genre called “Metalcore”- and if this album is anything to go by, it’s just mindless generic ***.

I guess I hated this album after all. Sorry, everybody. =(

Recommended:

- Cotton Wool for your ears

Avoid:

- Listening to this while conscious/sober

Initial Rating:

3.5/5

After listening to this demo a few more times:

2/5

goodasgold666 (2)
R.I.P. Mitch....

botb
October 21st 2009

the old video for bludgeoned to death was so funny. their drummer wore like a slipknot mask.

Really? I think I'm going to check that out right now =D

October 21st 2009

Bleugh, sorry "bringonthebreakdown", I can only find the official video.

Do you have a link to the old video of bludgeoned to death?

cvlts
October 21st 2009

last thing this review site needs is another goddamn suicide silence review.

blindsided21
October 21st 2009

Suicide Silence is more deathcore than metalcore.
If you want good metalcore, check out Converge, Botch, BTBAM, and Misery Signals.

October 21st 2009

Ok. . . I'll check out those bands.

Incidentally, with all these genres: I understand what the "death" in deathcore stands for, and the "metal" in metalcore.

But what on earth does the "core" actually mean?

How would you define the difference between "metal" and "metalcore"? I haven't really heard enough to have a decent idea of what it is.

hipnotoad

Hardcore

blindsided21

I'm not completely sure.^
The core is a reference to hardcore music but in a lot of metal/deathcore bands (like Suicide Silence) it's pretty hard to see the hardcore influence. Converge and Botch's hardcore influences are a lot more pronounced.

Motiv3

lol suicide silence.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Comatorium.

lol hollier

thebbqshrimp
October 21st 2009

I like The Cleansing dgaf. Haven't heard this.

And the -core suffix absolutely refers to Hardcore. Deathcore = cross-blending of Death Metal and Hardcore (or, that's what it's supposed to mean, at least). Death Metal riffing with Hardcore breakdowns.

Lastsforever

Fapper

W/ bbqshrimp

AbyssalCreation

2041 Comments

The FG samples made this the shit when I first heard it.Now it's kinda meh, but an entertaining listen every now and then.Good review pos'd

Zip
October 22nd 2009

No one had given this a 4.5 before.

Comatorium.

dryden is lol.

Zip, you rebel ;)

AbyssalCreation, thank you for the pos =)

Lastsforever:"You do know Suicide Silence is Deathcore, not Metalcore. Go listen to Heaven Shall Burn or It Dies Today for Metalcore."

Nope, I didn't know Suicide Silence are Deathcore. And I checked out 'HEAVEN SHALL BURN'- I youtubed the Endzeit video.

I see what you mean, it's very different stuff. Oh, wait, when the soft piano introduction ends, it isn't, frankly. Sure, there may be a few differences in the vocal timbre compared to "Suicide Silence", but it's all pretty similar, in all honesty.

Then again, I am coming from a rather ignorant perspective: considering all I've heard from the "whatever-core" genre is this Demo album, and one song by Heaven Shall Burn.

But to tell you the truth, my distinguishing between 'core' genres (from what I've heard so far), is equivocal to when I listen to a "Bach" choral piece; each piece is a little different- but lets face it, on the whole, they all sound the bloody same.

iamthenightmare
October 22nd 2009

Rating is more for nostalgia than actually good music. Still the only good release from them however. Cleansing was fun for a bit, but they took themselves too seriously.

xkeyboardmoshx
October 23rd 2009

This is metalcore? I would've thought this was really bad death metal with really bad breakdowns.

October 23rd 2009

"xkeyboardmoshx"- I have no idea what this is. . . But as you can tell by my review, I don't think it's the best load of stuff ever written.