Indukti
Idmen

by Eli EMERITUS
October 19th, 2009 | 29 replies

Review Summary: Yes. There is more than one progressive rock/metal band from Poland.

Indukti are :
* Wawrzyniec Dramowicz – Percussion.
* Ewa Jablonska – Violin.
* Piotr Kocimski - Guitar, ethnical instruments.
* Maciej Jaskiewicz – Guitars, sound mathematician.
* Andrzej Kaczynski – Bass guitar, Doublebass.

Indukti are a progressive rock band hailing from Poland. While Riverside may be the more popular Polish prog band, the similarities should end there. Indukti take a more metal approach, incorporating more chugging riffs and distorted guitars. Through in some violin and acoustic elements and you have a fairly interesting sound. Unfortunately, this very sound is ultimately the album's biggest shortcoming.

Long, epic compositions. Interesting and deeply layered songs. Strange time signatures and frequent tempo changes. Sound fantastic? Fresh or original? In all actuality, Indukti use a formula employed by many prog rock/metal bands before them. Influences from Tool, Porcupine Tree, and even Meshuggah are obvious throughout. "Nemesis Voices" finds the band sounding incredibly like Tool. The dense atmosphere and Maynard-esque vocals are all in check. Yet it sounds completely contrived.

Parallel to "Nemesis Voices," moodier and more subdued feel is "Tusan Homichi Tuvota." Without a doubt the record's strangest and heaviest song. Unfortunately this is as engaging as "Idmen" gets. The vocals on this track are much different than the rest of the record. Boisterous, overdone, and slightly on the cheesy side. However, around the halfway mark we find the vocalist growling the lines "Hawk kills chickens. Hawk kills rabbits." more times than necessary. And yes, its just as awkward and ridiculous as it sounds.

The rest of the tracks are hit or miss which leads to my next complaint. Track placement leaves much to be desired. "Sansara" and "...And Who's the God Now?!" are easily the albums high points, but are both placed in the first half. This doesn't give the listener much desire to continue listening. The rest of the tracks are a little uninspired. Chugging along, throwing in some elements to trick the listener into believing what they're listening to is more interesting than it actually is.

Now it sounds like this album is utter trash right? That's not entirely true. "...And Who's the God Now?!" sounds tribal in some parts, and the all instrumental "Sansara" is actually very good. Unfortunately, Indukti are just far too wiling to rehash ideas from other bands. Those other bands, of course, have taken tose ideas, and have done them much better. So whats left is an incredibly inconsistent album. Indukti are an interesting band with a lot of potential, "Idmen" is proof of that. Yet the album has far too many issues, thus undeserving of a high recommendation.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns

October 19th 2009

This album has a 4.1 rating as of now. Im gonna catch shit for this. BRING ON THE NEGS!

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

meh, i disagree.

October 19th 2009

I can see why some would like it, but im sorry, I really didn't

jingledeath
October 19th 2009

I disagree as well but I'll pos.

October 19th 2009

The reasons you're using for this being bad sound more like issues you had to reach for just to support a desire to write a negative review. I'm not saying that because I disagree - I've never even heard this.

Edit: Oh yeah, and spell/grammar check.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

jrowa001
October 19th 2009

album is good but S.U.S.A.R. is better

October 19th 2009

@Willie: Yeah I can see where you might get that. I'll be more descriptive next time.

accompliceofmydeath

I'll check this out.

Digging: Cruel Hand - The Negatives

GnarlyShillelagh
October 26th 2009

Good review. Haven't listened to it yet, but I really hope you're wrong.

S.U.S.A.R. was one of my favorite albums ever, so I definitely have high expectations for this one - and I'm not to keen on getting those expectations shot down, haha.

EasternLight
October 26th 2009

wtf im never conforming to this pokemon avatar phenomenon. polish?! holy crap.

October 31st 2009

I wish there were some goddamn lyrics to ...And Who's The God Now?! on the net.

October 31st 2009

also album rules rules rules rules album rules

GnarlyShillelagh
November 2nd 2009

Just realized that I misspelled "too" in my last post. I just started listening to the album and so far, Sansara is sick. I get the feeling this album is going to be excellent. Although if it is the album's zenith, like you said, I may end up slightly disappointed.

November 2nd 2009

This is a really good album, but there are parts that drag and some of the lyrics are definitely bad.

November 2nd 2009

Yeah, but there aren't that many singing parts here. I don't care at all about the vocal performance in Tusan Homichi Tuvota. Quite uninspired I must say. Plus, you're right some parts drag, but not many. Still, it's a great prog metal album that more people should check out.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

November 2nd 2009

It is an album that more people should check out. It probably needs a second review with a higher rating.

November 2nd 2009

Hmm. I can do something about it once I sink into this deeper.

BigTuna
December 15th 2009

This is weird. Hawks kill chickens is the most ridiculous line in the world.

Digging: Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot

December 16th 2009

Hawks kill chickens. Hawks kill rabbits.

Yeah. This line is silly, yet it's kind of creepy in its own sick way in my opinion (like the whole track).

January 12th 2010

But the hawk won't kill TUSSAAANNNN HOMMMIICCHHIII!!