Meshuggah
Destroy Erase Improve

good

by Cracker Jack USER (5 Reviews)
October 13th, 2009 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What is this? I didn't know the soundtrack to a robot apocalypse was out just now...

Imagine if robots could play instruments. Like, for example, if R2D2 got on a guitar and just started chugging and shredding solos, and the Decepticons(or, if you prefer, Autobots) handling the rhythm section, and Galvatron, leader of Decepticons, was the lead vocalist. This almost perfectly describes Meshuggah’s sound, at least at the point in which their second album Destroy Erase Improve was created, and unlike some Meshuggah albums, executes this sound as close to perfection as possible

Loud, mechanically precise chug, glitchy beeps, and oddly timed but razor sharp drumming give Destroy Erase Improve it’s overly robotic sound. “Future Breed Machine” is Meshuggah’s perfect song, a track that is much more thrash-influenced than any of Meshuggah’s later material, but at the same time takes patches of soft sections that would fit on any melodic death metal album, and manages to piece it better than the usual one thousand piece puzzle you bought at a low budget Hobby Lobby. The rest of the tracks follow in this order, which is the major flaw in Meshuggah’s attack plan, because even the most loving, adoring fan can get bored of hearing the same mathematical playing being done in nine tracks, with only one track attempting to be different. Not to say some of these tracks execute this samey sound better than others, like “Soul Burn” takes perfect use of a slightly slower speed and rhythm than the rest of the breakneck speeds, but most of these tracks just pace through the mind with lack of memorability.

For some occasionally neat sounding metal music made to follow up the genre name, then go for it. Be forewarned, however, although this album has it's enjoyable moments that any fan of music can take, it's mostly just a tale of repetition and fretboard masturbation. However, if the best Meshuggah is what you want, this is what you get.

Athom

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

October 13th 2009

same except i rate it lower because Meshuggah in general bore me other than this and maybe some Obzen.

Society Sellout
October 13th 2009

What you described in the first paragraph makes me hate this band without even really listening to them.

October 13th 2009

because of your general distaste to Transformers or just realization that robotic sounds bore you?

Athom

I don't see how someone could hate Future Breed Machine. Give it a try

October 13th 2009

i even like Future Breed Machine brah.

Society Sellout

October 13th 2009

haha yeah that definitely makes sense.

Mordecai.

Band and album rules.

"This is my favorite Meshuggah full-length with I being my favorite thing they've ever released."

Yep, I is their best release, but other than their debut all their albums are fantastic.

October 13th 2009

This is pretty solid, i can agree with that.

zaruyache
October 17th 2009

"Yeah... I don't really like bands that push the technical side so much that it sounds like humans are no longer playing the music. I love the humanity in music."

Give it a try, this band is good. They're probably one of the few bands that can make repetition innovative, which alone makes them at least worth a listen or two.

Digging: Alpha Male Tea Party - Droids

Jethro42
October 23rd 2009

^ agreed

It also takes a while to get into. Easier to swallow in small doses.

Jethro42