Inhale Exhale
Bury Me Alive

2.0
poor

by Caleb McAlpine USER (108 Reviews)
October 5th, 2009 | 53 replies | 14,019 views

Review Summary: Inhale Exhale, don't you get bored of never progressing?

Things change and grow with time. Plants, people, animals, leftover brownies - they all get older and take on new properties and characteristics as they age. Naturally, the same rings true with most bands. Musicians tend to branch out and experiment from album to album - the results can be anywhere from outstanding to completely polarizing. In the decade-ending year of 2009, we've seen countless bands develop and/or change. We've seen August Burns Red go from mediocre to exciting, we've seen blessthefall go from laughable to tolerable and we've seen Isis essentially stay exactly the same -- and now, with Inhale Exhale's Bury Me Alive, we're seeing a band go from being relatively enjoyable to being thumb-twiddlin', expletive-worthy, blow-your-brains-out boring.

From the frantic first breakdown of opener 'Rooms' to the post-production wind tunnel that closes the album on 'An Era', Bury Me Alive is non-stop monotony. Musically, the album is a lackluster combination of the colorless The Lost, The Sick and the Sacred and the dissonant I Swear..., marrying boring elements from each of the albums while tossing away all the engaging parts. Bury Me Alive is also further evidence that Inhale Exhale need more than one guitarist. Guitarist John LaRussa has always been kind of a throw-away riff-maker but he makes leaps and bounds in the world of mediocrity this time around. Instead of making enjoyable, noodly riffs (such as the ones found in I Swear...'s 'I Needed A Space Ship'), LaRussa opts for making dissonant chugging that succeeds only at putting the listener to sleep. Not even his awful faux-solo in 'Explosions' or the laughably beefy guitar production (how else do you make an album sound heavy with only guitarist?) can save his performance on Bury Me Alive.

To make matters worse, Inhale Exhale have little else to rely on besides LaRussa. While vocalist Ryland Raus' clean vocal debut on I Swear... was really quite enjoyable, both his screams and his melodies seem forced and rehashed on Bury Me Alive - his lyrics don't help either: try to keep a straight face during the "to hell and back" breakdown in 'Explosions' (a song which also showcases the band's worst chorus yet). Drummer Chris Carroll and bassist Greg Smith are incredibly unremarkable (the latter being unsurprisingly inaudible) and bring nothing to the aural table. While most of the album can illustrate the band's mediocrity, songs like 'Fiction' and 'Intentions' are stand-out disposable tracks that, while not abhorrent, are just so incredibly generic and lifeless that they're lulling to listen to.

Yet in the song 'A Dark Place for Your Mind to Be', Inhale Exhale get it right. Starting with a catchy dissonant riff, the album launches into a myriad of breakdowns, catchy choruses and loopy riffs. Its I Swear...-like composition is proof that the band isn't completely hopeless. It also proves that the band maybe should work harder on creating more songs like it -- especially when taking into account that Bury Me Alive is coming out only a year after the band's latest effort. For now, there's reason to believe that Inhale Exhale just rushed themselves into creating Bury Me Alive and the one stand out track on the album is reason enough to believe that the band isn't compromised out of completely talentless wretches. Yet for what it's worth, Bury Me Alive is really quite bad -- it's boring, it's unoriginal and lazy. Here's to hoping that Inhale Exhale learn how to progress next time around.

The Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark ValleyDan Mangan Oh Fortune
The Decemberists Long Live the KingThe Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & Melody
Antoine Dufour ConvergencesThe Head And The Heart The Head And The Heart
2.9
good

October 6th 2009

It's a pity too, I Swear... was kind of fun.

hardcore lol

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

October 6th 2009

Rudy, I'm sensing a trend...

hey, it seems you broke your writer's block :0

shortone323
October 6th 2009

Good review. The positive of having one guitarist is that there's no impossible to hear bass. I guess.

I remember listening to the I Needed a Space Ship song and thinking it was decent. Probably won't check this out though.

October 6th 2009

"hey, it seems you broke your writer's block :0" Haha yeah, I think the blessthefall review (oh yay feature!) got me back on track.

"I remember listening to the I Needed a Space Ship song and thinking it was decent." 'Tis a good song from a pretty decent record but definitely save yourself the trouble regarding this record.

WhiteWallStargazers
October 6th 2009

NOOOOOOOOO Waior way to ruin my excitement of a new Inhale album

qwe3
October 6th 2009

wow this looks absolutely terrible

October 6th 2009

"wow this looks absolutely terrible" You could say that.

"Waior way to ruin my excitement of a new Inhale album" Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like this too.

Forgot to mention the banjo/sitar (?) lead on the epic ballad climax of 'Better Her Than Me'. Gag.

ninjuice
October 6th 2009

Review is excellent as always. The cursed masochist in me wants to hear this.

Digging: Robin Skouteris - The King of ArtPOP

qwe3
October 6th 2009

hey why is your review showing up on the front page but not mine? does it have to be approved?

October 6th 2009

If it's your first review then yes, it has to be approved by a mod first.

October 6th 2009

just noticed you have two reviews on the front page ban

October 6th 2009

Ugh I just noticed that too - they're 24+ hours apart, there's usually more reviews put out in that time period :/

IndieOut
October 6th 2009

thanks, i needed to know if i cared about this. good review. since i love metalcore, is any of their other stuff worth a listen?

October 6th 2009

I Swear... is a fun release if you're curious. Try listening to 'The Impatient Will Suffer' off of that record to test the waters.

Ulsufyring

hardcore lol

faggy indie pop bullshit lol

sspedding

got this on now

October 6th 2009

except they all cut off their hair and grew beards to appeal to a cooler market

oops

sspedding
October 6th 2009

wish they had more than one guitarist.

Waior i have a question, if there is more than one review for an album how is it decided which is the default?