Hatebreed
Hatebreed

by Trey Spencer STAFF
September 29th, 2009 | 158 replies | 27,891 views

Review Summary: Hatebreed update their sound with a bit more metal and a willingness to experiment a little.

Hatebreed have been called a lot of things over the course of their career, but never diverse. Their continued attempts to create the ultimate blend of hardcore and metal has left every one of their albums severely limited in scope. Despite this, they continued to try to perfect their sound which ultimately resulted in their best and most refined work, Supremacy. Supremacy was a near-perfect barrage of heavy riffs, high-speed tempos, and hardcore shouts and there was really no further they could have taken it. When the band finally released their covers album almost three years later it seemed fairly inconsequential, but it turns out that it was a good indication of the band’s intentions. On their new self-titled release they have fully embraced their metal influences and have created an album that could actually be called diverse.

It only takes a few moments of opening track, “Become the Fuse”, to hear the band’s total acceptance of metal. The riffs have shed a lot of their punk leanings in favor of a rhythmic metal crunch that is accentuated by leads that owe a lot to South of Heaven-era Slayer. The band have even slowed down a lot of their songs to a more moderate pace that could also be associated with that era, but that might be a stretch. Other metal elements to find their way into this album include a sing/scream vocal style on songs such as “In Ashes They Shall Reap”, and actual guitar solos. The biggest surprise is the solemn instrumental, “Undiminished”. The surprise isn’t so much that they attempted an instrumental; the surprise is that they pulled it off. “Undiminished” moves slowly and features a number of excellent guitar solos, some moody dual-guitar harmonies, and even ends with a subdued piano melody. It’s probably this song more than all others that proves just how much they’ve embraced their metal influences and also how well they’re pulling it off.

Despite the fact that the band has made their metal influences the focal point of the album, they haven’t forsaken their roots entirely. The groove that’s found in a lot of the slower songs and the reckless energy of some of the more aggressive moments definitely owes a lot to the hardcore scene, and of course the breakdowns and gang shouts are still a staple of the band’s sound. Almost as if in response to the abundance of metal on the album, the band have also included a few songs such as “Every Lasting Scar” which is probably one of the most pure hardcore punk songs the band has ever written. Of course, it’s also this hardcore influence that makes sitting through the entire album feel a bit repetitive, but that redundant nature is far less than on past albums due to the band’s increased metal influences.

Although the mixture of hardcore and metal isn’t anything new and the band’s move towards a metal sound isn’t exactly innovative, the way they use those styles makes a big difference. This is an album that has definite hardcore roots that are only enhanced by the band’s Slayer/Sepultura-influenced brand of metal. Of course, this slight progression in the band’s sound isn’t nearly enough to bring in new fans or silence those that find them dull and uninspired, but who cares? The band isn’t supposed to be progressive and innovative; they’re supposed to be aggressive and heavy with all else being secondary, and the fact that they’ve managed to accomplish that while updating their sound a little bit will be enough for any fan of the band’s last few albums.

Anathema Distant SatellitesFlotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014
Mindcage Our Own DevicesFates Warning Darkness in a Different Light
Queensryche QueensrycheSkinny Puppy Weapon
3.3

Roach
September 29th 2009

I think the biggest problem with Hatebreed is that they suck so much dick.

September 29th 2009

I think that's most people's problem with you too... but not me, that's why I like you.

Anyway, I forgot this came out today and I didn't even have a review started, so this was definitely a quick write-up.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

jingledeath
September 29th 2009

I have they're last three releases and they're all kind of meh and I thought I'd avoid this one but I might just try it out because of this review.

fromtheinside
September 29th 2009

will check this out later probably when i'm bored. anything better than rise of brutality should be worth a few track skims.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

September 29th 2009

Your review has me interested. I didn't give Supremacy or The Rise of Brutality many listens, but I loved Satisfaction and Perseverance. I'll check it out.. is it streaming on their myspace or anything?

September 29th 2009

Like I kind of mentioned in the review, if you found the last few albums to be kind of "meh" than don't expect this one to do much more for you (but it might). It's definitely better than Rise of Brutality, though.

Edit: There's a news article with a stream link. Last time I checked, though, the link wasn't goingo to a Hatebreed album. Maybe try their webpage or myspace.

September 29th 2009

I definitely didn't care for Brutality. It's interesting that you note they leaned more to metal on this release but have a couple of their most hardcore punk-influenced songs in awhile. Is the record a little less homogenous than past releases?

September 29th 2009

A lot less. It's definitely diverse by Hatebreed standards.

September 29th 2009

Nice, I'm very interested. If only MySpace music worked on my work computer...

Demonicgman

^too much of pron.

September 29th 2009

Hah, unfortunately no. We just don't have the new flash player and since I don't have admin access, I can't download it.

Wizard

19231 Comments

Great review Willie. I think I may give this a go.

I remember in highschool enjoying Satisifaction is the... and Perserverance but I lost interest with Rise of Brutality because I kind of grew out of them. Maybe you might want to include in your review that they are a gateway band. I know they opened my eyes to heavier stuff.

Breakdown in "Not My Master" is something to be reckoned with. This really isn't bad so far.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

accompliceofmydeath
September 29th 2009

There is a lot better hardcore out there than this. It's nice to see that they're changing it up a bit though.

Altmer

bah, Hatebreed

September 29th 2009

I should love this, especially since I rave the groove Ssepultura shit. Nice review, I need to get my BRO!!on some mroe and this feels like prime time for crime time.

Electric City
September 29th 2009

don't really need that comma in the summary

/grammar nazi

zarkinfrood42

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ME TO RISE TO MY FEET

Bfhurricane
September 29th 2009

I've always liked Hatebreed more than the average guy, I'll probably check this out.

Metalstyles
September 29th 2009

great review, band is 100% meh ;)