Benn Jordan
Louisiana Mourning

by Matt Wolfe EMERITUS
September 10th, 2009 | 26 replies | 10,126 views

Review Summary: Simple but special instrumental folk from the face behind The Flashbulb.

Note to reader: I originally thought the album title was Louisiana Morning
Note to self: Read album titles closer in the future
Note to Benn Jordan: Please don't do that again

I don't think I'd get on with Benn Jordan. At least not before noon. Judging from his work on Louisiana Mourning, the Flashbulb maestro seems to be one of those dreaded 'morning people'. The sort of guy who's actually seen the sunrise outside of the television screen. The sort of guy who doesn't need ultra-strength coffee, cold showers or shock therapy to get up before 9am. The sort of guy who actually likes to be up with the birds at the break of dawn. The break of dawn doesn't even exist in my world.

I could see myself changing in tune with the whole of Louisiana with this record though. Just as there was in his critically acclaimed Soundtrack To A Vacant Life, Louisiana Mourning is brimming with a deep, delicate energy which surrounds and permeates whoever may be listening. On paper, it's nothing special. A simple set of four entirely instrumental folk tunes, heavy on the acoustic arpeggios, laden with violins, pianos and assorted ambience. But Jordan seems to have this knack of bringing simple ideas to life, and its no different here.

The songwriting is carefully constructed, and doesn't follow simple routes. Take 'III' for example, it begins with soothing acoustics, almost poppy in their fragile bounciness, the fluctuations in volume evoking thoughts of twisting country roads. Then the acoustics dissapear and in to the fray comes the simple, reverb-heavy electric guitar to create an almost post-rock atmosphere, helped on by the appearance of floating ambience. Finally, both the electric and the acoustic guitar return to create some unremarkable, but still lively interplay. Everything moves with purpose and direction, but doesn't just take the usual path, and the whole thing feels a lot more alive because of it. This is the sort of thing that I'd be happy to wake to in the morning. Subtle, moving, peaceful, conscious.

While nowhere near as sprawling and multi-dimensional as his work on Soundtrack To A Vacant Life under the Flashbulb moniker, Louisiana Mourning showcases the same type of modest magic that made Benn Jordan's 2008 epic so endearing and special. No, it's not going to make many end-of-year lists, Jordan knows this. It doesn't ask for that. If it was any grander, it wouldn't work. It's just got that 'crafted with love' feel from the first bird chirp to the last, and, although it will most likely go down as one of the years forgotten gems, it will surely strike a forgotten chord with anyone who takes the time to wake to it.

Daughter If You LeaveJapandroids Celebration Rock
Yppah Eighty OneYellow Ostrich Strange Land
Youth Lagoon The Year of HibernationManchester Orchestra Simple Math

Willie
September 10th 2009

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into this. (can you update the release date?).

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

Meatplow
September 10th 2009

This is a very nice release, yes.

joshuatree
September 10th 2009

this is pretty good, nice to see a review from you thought you vanished

Minus The Flair
September 10th 2009

Truth of the review is I thought the album title was actually called Louisiana Morning until yesterday. Thought I'd just run with it anyway, still seemed to fit nicely. Should be called Morning.

And yeah, had to work ridiculously loads over summer to pay off my overdraft, which never happened anyway, but I'm back at uni now so hoping to get more reviews out soon.

gaslightanthem

omg

ratedrsuperstar

i'm goin to dig this for purely the gr8 time i had listening to that 08 album

ninjuice
September 10th 2009

My '09 just got better. I can't wait to find this.

Well it is Benn Jordan.

Digging: Robin Skouteris - The King of ArtPOP

lauriej
September 10th 2009

love this guy, want this ep

might buy it, i feel sorry for him after how he was treated by his old label

Waior
September 10th 2009

I'll bite. MTF, your introduction paragraphs are just... always superb. Like, too superb.

blabony
September 10th 2009

Sounds like my kind of music !! can't wait to get it....
Good review

Crysis
September 10th 2009

I may have to check this out.

ninjuice
September 10th 2009

This is 7.99 (without shipping) from his label website in case anyone cares. 500 copy release. I'm debating whether to get it when it's only 21 minutes long.

joshuatree
September 10th 2009

it's good enough to get for that price

po0ty
September 10th 2009

Are there any copies up online? I haven't found any

Captain North
September 11th 2009

Hmm, his last album, Pale Blue Dot was fairly boring.

September 11th 2009

i'm a morning person FUCK OFF silveri

Douglas
September 13th 2009

sounds like i'd dig this best check it

lauriej
September 13th 2009

pale blue dot fucking ruled, shut the fuck up capn

Burn2Burn