12 Stones
Anthem For The Underdog

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
September 4th, 2009 | 32 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nothing is as it seems...

The origin of the bands name is speculated to be related to the 12 Disciples of Jesus Christ. What this has to do with the rest of the review? Well, quite frankly nothing, but I really wanted to include something relatively informative so to prove that I in fact do know something about the band. And now in continuing with the trends we jump right into a horrible transitioning sentence.

I picked up this cd during my senior year of High School some three years ago, and remember being quite satisfied with their previous effort Potter’s Field, thus convincing myself it would be worth the $12.99. Despite the fact of everything sounding familiar back then in terms of recognizable music, my youth was like a buffet of music and I had to at least try everything once. Still, one of my biggest issues then and is still now was the bands relentless attempts to incorporate saturated grunge effects with their wobbly Nu-Metal punch. Yet there we’re glimmers of sunshine in that flash flood of music like the insatiable Stay and its musical lover Photograph. Here the band finally improve their deliverance skills with the first few seconds of the opening track coming in like the eye of a storm

Songs like Anthem For the Underdog and Lie To Me we’re just what I needed back then as I remember, and if a band has the ability to connect with a certain aspect of my life then it’s already won my attention. With they’re universally painful lyrics it resonated to my soul all to well, “You say you know just who I am, But you can't imagine … But I'm still here standing, And I'm tired of backing down” were ridiculous heart lifters. Yes they are littered with clichés and unmemorable moments of musicianship, but those aren’t necessities as they would taut the experience as a whole.

The album when viewed entirely is surely to be one of an uplifting emotional experience. Most of the lyrics do face more interpersonal struggles, and while yes everything is built by the tiring verse/chorusX2/bridge format McCoy is able to save a lot of the boring some moments. He’s certainly learned a deal since trading egos with Amy Lee, and it shows as his voice has never sounded stronger as sweetly condescends the victim, “Don’t act like an angel, You’re falling again, You’re no superhero, I found in the end, So lie to me once again and tell me everything will be alright.”

This Dark Day is about as heavy as the band has ever been with a stammering bass groove just barely audible over McCoy unfortunate whiny vocals. The guitars do fall into a one trick pony of clunking around the verse until reaching a truly anti-climatic bridge. Games You Play is another heavy c*ck rocker with its extremely muffled guitars hammering a losing battle of trying to encompass the effect of the drums. Paul’s moody vocals hit a repetitious and unimaginative note as he barrages about, “I’m taking back what’s left from all these selfish things you say, And I won’t waste another day, With all the games you play, Games you play.” Though what can’t be denied is the bands recognition to finally make improvements to their diluted sound.

Some exceptions cannot be amended though like the fact that the band consistently chooses to appeal to the teenage demographic. The inclusion of the song Adrenaline shows the band still has a ways to go before they’ve completely matured. Sure a song of this nature would be fine as a bonus track of sorts as it does have its proper place and time. But when I’m sitting at home reading 400 pages to catch up for lecture and, “It’s 45 minutes of love, I wanna see you push and shove, I’ll show you just how far to go, It’s time to lose all our control” blasts into my speakers my A.D.D. mind can’t help but wander about aimlessly. I think who pays for a 45 minute concert? Is that what this inane tirade is about? Or is he referring to the listening experience? Surely he can’t think I should proceed to kick my roommates’ teeth in. Hmmm… Teeth. I need toothpaste…

Ok so anyway, along that cringe worthy performance there’s also the redundant rock radio inspiration Arms of A Stranger. Providing their best Nickelback impersonation things ultimately don’t go over so well. As it comes off serving as a reminder for those who forgot their earlier hit, Lie To Me. Thankfully aside from the minor missteps the band has given an outing with the positives outweighing the negatives. Hey Love swoops in with its country twanged guitars to offer some more depth in what was beginning to look like a puddle. If you can ignore the sometimes atrocious lyrics delivered from a nasally McCoy you’ll find yourself enjoying the melody and pop to this one. The duet guitars of acoustic and amniotic space sounds are incorporated well as they dance off of each beautifully.

Yes, everything here on this cd is geared for the radio. Yes, every single song except Adrenaline deal with relationships or its effects. And yes no one ss going to remember the band for the release. I really wish this was heading somewhere with a clever “but” to be interjected and establish a maybe moot point. Alas it was only to readdress the key points of the album and perceive a conclusion. Thank you.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
3.3

Ponton
September 4th 2009

Love the intro, great review

September 5th 2009

thanks. this review was relatively hard to write.

Digging: Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness

MusicinaBox
September 5th 2009

good review, i actually enjoyed this album. probably alittle bit too much =).

Captain North
September 5th 2009

fantastic review. Decent album, remember I loved it when it came out.

Romulus
September 5th 2009

Review is really good. Hey Love is really the only one I can swallow from this album. And I could
swear Adrenaline is about an orgy.

EDIT: I feel like your avatar would be really funny if I could read it.

Xenorazr
September 5th 2009

You might want to look back over a couple parts of your review, you wrote "were" as "we're". Otherwise, not bad, this album's completely forgettable to me.

September 5th 2009

thank you all! and yes this issue has been fixed.

I feel like your avatar would be really funny if I could read it.

lol, one of my friends made it, but i've already forgotten what it says so i'm thinking i'm gonna change it soon.

September 6th 2009

i just realized i gave this a 3. i think thats based on sentimental value.

February 26th 2010

Adrenaline was what got me into these guys.

Good review.

Digging: xSPONGEXCOREx - How Tough Are Yah?

February 26th 2010

There's def some good tunes off of this. I still throw it on every now and again (especially This Dark Day).

February 26th 2010

This Dark Day is my favorite song by them.

Oddly enough, even though this has some of their best songs, I prefer Potter's Field. (although looking at that thread nobody else seems to agree lol)

February 26th 2010

I think a compilation from all three containing the best songs would be the best. I think I prefer this one over the other two though.

February 26th 2010

Yeah I think this one's probably better technically, and Lie To Me is just amazing.

Idk, I guess I like Potter's Field for the reason fromtheinside criticized in his review; it's a continuous blast of heavy rock for most of the album. I never skipped a track, don't think I would today.

But a compliation would be sick though, I hear ya. Get the best of their different styles.

February 26th 2010

Lie to Me is an awesome song, not too many people seem to like it though. Their singer (I think his name is Paul?) sometimes has this annoying accent to his voice, but he's a great singer otherwise.

The only one I find myself skipping from Field, is Bitter.

February 26th 2010

Yeah Paul McCoy. I used to really dig his vocals, cause they were edgy but melodic, and they were really the first band I liked that had any screaming whatsoever. I still think he's a pretty solid vocalist.

And the one I always liked best from Potter's Field was Far Away.

February 26th 2010

Far Away and Stay are the best from that album imo. The Way I Feel and This Dark Day are tied for first place.

February 26th 2010

Yeah, Stay was great, probably next for me too. The Way I Feel was good, I think Broken is just a notch higher for me though.

Man I used to love this band.

February 26th 2010

The Way I Feel was the first I ever heard from them (and one of the first rock songs too), but I love the chorus and solo in that. Broken has a pretty br00t@l ending to it.

February 26th 2010

Yeah when I first heard it I thought Broken was sooooooo heavy. BROKEEEEEEEEN! BROKEEEEEEEN!

The Way I Feel was my next favorite, loved the vocals in it, and the solo was really nice too. Their guitar solos were the other thing that drew me to them.

February 26th 2010

Ha ha, yeah. I didn't even know what a guitar solo was back in the day.

Hey Love just came up on shuffle, cool.