Oh, Sleeper
The Armored March

2.0
poor

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
September 1st, 2009 | 48 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: When I Am God, sludge edition.

When I refer to Oh Sleeper's 'The Armored March' as sludge-y, I don't mean it in the typical realms of "sludge". I don't want you to think of post-metal and I don't want you to think Mastodon. I want you to think of poor production values, sloppy musicianship and overall murkiness; the essence of Oh Sleeper's debut EP 'The Armored March'. Those familiar with the band's pleasing debut full-length 'When I Am God' will immediately be familiar with the entire track list (it does, after all, appear in it's entirety on the record) but they will not be at home with the careless execution of some of When I Am God's best songs. Take, for example, the song 'To Flagship': on 'When I Am God', it's one of the album's highlights with it's stop-and-start composition and multiple time changes but on 'The Armored March' it plays like cough syrup; raw and painful in all the wrong ways, bitter and thick in the worst of way possible. By playing many of their songs at near half-speed, many of the songs have yet to gain their eventual intensity and in turn become drawling metalcore jams that dwindle aimlessly in a poorly-produced maze of dissonance and Botch-isms.

The problem isn't the songwriting though -- listening to 'When I Am God' vindicates that fact. The problem isn't the vocalists or instrumentation either: Micah Kinard proves that he doesn't need a fancy production to achieve his thick and raw vocals, Shane Blay proves he's not a tone-deaf dread-head and every musician (except the inaudible bassist) is clearly well-versed with their respective instruments. So what went wrong? It's possible that the lack of togetherness is a result of being an extremely young band in terms of their formation and it's even possible that part of 'When I Am God's success comes out of smart production and studio sheen on behalf of Solid State. The truth is, most of the EP is rather garage band like; an undercooked microwave pastry. Regardless, 'The Armored March' at best represents the leaps and bounds Oh Sleeper took on 'When I Am God' as far as execution is concerned -- and it's also pretty alienated to listen to after hearing 'Son of the Morning'.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences

cvlts
September 1st 2009

maybe this is how they make albums... bad, good, bad, good? hopefully at least.

i concur with review.

garade band?lol

September 1st 2009

I might have to review 'When I Am God' just to prove that I don't dislike all Oh Sleeper but I want to focus on new releases only after this point because I don't have enough time to review such poppycock as this.

Thanks, dantes. Bad, good, bad, awesome, I hope.

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Second Sight

September 1st 2009

I want to focus on new releases only after this point

Some one forgetting pretentious 50th review?

September 1st 2009

Some one forgetting pretentious 50th review?

Eeeeek, yes. But I'm having trouble with that one because I basically said everything I wanted to say about robotic music critiquing in my Viva La Vida review and honestly don't think I can one-up that.

September 1st 2009

Oh but please, I love reading fanboy reviews (read: Paul Dempsey and Something For Kate review)

Speaking of which have you checked Paul Dempsey out yet, you will actually swoon over him.

fromtheinside
September 1st 2009

clever swoon references from dougie.

Digging: Psicosis - The Crippled Machine That Moves the World

September 1st 2009

Subliminal messaging at its peak.

September 1st 2009

"have you checked Paul Dempsey out yet" No, but the YouTube link is beckoning. Honestly, I'm so freaking tired right now but I WILL get to it. Hold me accountable.

"but please, I love reading fanboy reviews" well, I have to celebrate my 50th in some way or another...

xNintendoCorex

screw you caleb
ep wasnt THAT bad.
sheesh

September 1st 2009

Haha it's okay the song will send you into a sweet slumber.

"screw you caleb ep wasnt THAT bad. sheesh" it's oh sleeper AUTOMATIC 2

"Haha it's okay the song will send you into a sweet slumber." deal

September 1st 2009

Haha to easy to convince you are.

September 1st 2009

Thanks, Yoda. Goodnight Sputnik, hello Paul Dempsey.

September 1st 2009

No worries my padawan. Welcome to the addiction.

YouAreMySilence
September 1st 2009

So you like this as much as Son Of The Morning? Cool.
Ya Paul Dempsey is pretty fantastic.

Groink
September 1st 2009

EP is ok, their first full-length is their best. Good review.

Who's that in your pic, "YouAreMySilence?"

xNintendoCorex
September 1st 2009

considering half of when i am god IS this ep, i dont see what the hate is all about.

the songs didnt really evolve that much...

YouAreMySilence
September 1st 2009

Who's that in your pic, "YouAreMySilence?"

The chick from Lights. She's such a babe!

Spare
September 1st 2009

paul dempsey's live show is fucking intense and incredible

also idc about oh, sleeper.

Groink
September 1st 2009

Thanks dude. She's definitely a hottie.

I just took a quick listen to her music, honestly doesn't sound too bad, either. Good stuff.